“Most Over Rated Restaurant in Napa” 2 of 5 stars

Website
Menu
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
Bistro Don Giovanni is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #14 of 249 Restaurants in Napa
Cuisines: Italian, Mediterranean
Good for: Romance, Local cuisine, Outdoor seating, Special occasions, Scenic view, Entertaining clients
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Lunch, Dinner, Reservations, Late Night
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Highway 29
Napa
“Most Over Rated Restaurant in Napa”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 20, 2006

This restaurant isnt terrible, its just over rated. I live in Napa and I hear so many people raving about Bistro Don Giovanni and I don't understand why. The food is hit or miss. I've had a really good meal there and a really bad one. Like many others on trip advisor have said, it is VERY NOISY. It isn't a romantic date type of place. I don't like sitting in a restaurant and having to yell to have my husband hear me talking. On a non busy weeknight during the off tourist season it's a good place to have some pizza and a cocktail but for fine dining go to RISTRANTE ALLEGRIA in downtown Napa. It's romantic, the food and service are outstanding, it's the best.

San Diego
“Average food, poor service”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2005

We may have hit them on a bad night but I don’t think so. We went on a weeknight so there were hardly any customers but even so we were seated in a section with several other occupied tables and were shoulder to shoulder with the handful of other customers that were already there. Several other tables were all seated in the same area after we arrived. By the time we left the place was still way less than half full so I don’t understand why we were all shoved together like that. I guess the server did not want to walk far from table to table. The waiter was not friendly at all and barely helpful. We had to ask twice to get our initial basket of bread. He continued to have a condescending attitude throughout the ordering process and the rest of the meal. The whole impression was that they could get us out of there fast enough. The table next to us had a child of about 8 or 9 who was well behaved but the servers seemed annoyed with that family wanting to share plates and portions and generally dine like a family with a child. The experience was made somewhat interesting though by the fact that out waiter looked a little like Scott Peterson.

As for the food, it was fine but nothing to get excited about. Fairly average Italian menu. We had some sort of seafood pasta dish that was well prepared but the fish was cut up into extremely tiny pieces so it was hard to tell one thing from the next. Perhaps a large group ordering pizza and beer might find the huge, loud room more welcoming. Otherwise I don’t see the reason for all the recommendations.

Saint Louis, Missouri
“Yummy!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 25, 2005

Everything from the service to the food to the wine was wonderful! WE LOVED IT! Not too pricey for great food. Try the ravioli!

A TripAdvisor Member
“Horrible Service”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 20, 2005

I live in Napa, and eat out often. I have gone here a couple times and was not impressed with the service, nor the food. The last time I went we went for my boyfriends parents' 50th wedding anniversary. After waiting 45 minutes after our reservation, we were seated. We ordered our drinks right away, as well as our appetizers, but didn't get them for about another 45 minutes. We waited 15 minutes for water also. The experience was horrible, we finally were eating our dinner at about 10:30pm, when our reservation was made for 7:30. We spoke with the manager after waiting 30 minutes for our salads (we only had 3 total) and he got them immediately, but he never checked on us again. this was the absolute worst service i have ever had in the valley. we were not high maitenance, and there were only 6 of us. Plus, my 6 year old son ordered pizza, but the server didn't bring it out first, and was an hour before he got his pizza, even though we asked for it to come out first!

CA
“Local Place for Locals and Guests”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 28, 2005

This is probably my favorite place to take tourists form out of town. My husband and I think that it is fun and casual enough to bring our kids. We make reservations for the patio and order them a pizza with french fries. The salads and desserts are excellent, so try to stay for several courses. You can walk out to the organic garden and smell the fresh rosemary or peak at the vineyard. Ignore the highway and focus on the sunset or garden! Our European relatives from Spain really enjoyed the casual country chic setting. Many people wear jeans and drive expensive cars. There are many locals mixed in with tourists. It was very busy the last Sunday of early September and the outside weather was refreshing. I highly recommend the peach salad with marcona almonds! Que Rico! The staff is very friendly and knowledgable without being pretentious.