“Note the new address in my review...they have moved!” 5 of 5 stars

(707) 257-5157
Menu
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
La Toque is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #29 of 249 Restaurants in Napa
Cuisines: American, French, Contemporary, Eclectic
Good for: Entertaining clients
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
Dining style: Fine Dining
Cross street: Soscol
Description: La Toque is located at the Rancho Caymus Inn .
Los Angeles, CA
“Note the new address in my review...they have moved!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 25, 2009

My heart belongs to La Toque. I have had some pretty impressive meals in my lifetime, and I keep coming back to Ken Frank, Scott Tracy, Yoon and the gang.

First things first, La Toque has moved to the brand new Westin Hotel in Napa, opening its doors on September 18, 2008. I will miss the country charm and simple elegance of the Rutherford location, but change is good (or so I have been told). In the words of the incredibly witty and adorable Scott Tracy, sommelier extraordinaire, "We can't wait for that new restaurant smell". This site has not updated the new phone number and address yet, please note the following:

1314 McKinstry St
Napa, CA 94559
Tel: (707) 257-5157

The incredibly talented Ken Frank, of La Toque in Los Angeles fame, moved his restaurant to Rutherford, CA 10 years ago. In Napa Valley, Ken Frank and his very capable staff, found even greater acclaim. La Toque offers culinary thrills for the most sophisticated palette without the pretense and stuffiness of the French Laundry. From foie gras to skate wing, and everything in between, Ken Frank continues to serve up innovative and creative dishes, never predictable or contrived. The menu is always seasonal, offering the freshest produce available. I had a Kanapachi that literally melted in my mouth and a foie gras corndog I still dream about.

Now for the sommelier team of Scott Tracy and Yoon Ha, the most dynamic of duos, forever replacing Batman & Robin in my thesaurus. I have been a huge Scott Tracy fan since his days in Los Angeles at 24/24 Pico. Not only is his knowledge of wine vast, dependable and surprising at times, he has an incredible way with people too. I have witnessed him melt the frostiest of guests with his razor sharp wit and indelible charm. As if my heart wasn't full enough with La Toque loving, Yoon Ha comes along. Although I have only met Yoon in the past year, he has quickly risen to the top of my most favored sommeliers list. Yoon is a rising star with an incredible knowledge and vocabulary for wine. Together Scott Tracy and Yoon Ha create an incomparable wine pairing to accompany Chef Ken Frank's nightly creations. It is rumored Chef likes to throw culinary curve balls to test their acumen, and they always knock it out of the park. I highly recommend having the wine pairing and getting both Scott Tracy and Yoon Ha to weigh in on their selections. Both men have such an incredible breadth of knowledge and their own, unique way of sharing their passion.

The service staff is not to be ignored either! I will never forget one of my first visits to La Toque; we dined, imbibed, chatted and laughed the night away. Before we knew it, 12:30 PM had rolled around and we were the last table in the restaurant. Every candle was still lit, every staff member attending to us like we had just arrived. Everyone was so gracious in spite of the fact they surely wanted to be elsewhere. Paul is my favorite server de jour; he has waited on me during my past 2 visits. He is funny, sharp, professional, well informed and personable. I swear the staff keeps dossiers on the patrons, they know whether I prefer sparkling or flat without having to ask.

Do yourself a huge service and dine at this restaurant. It is not just another dinner; it is an experience to be savored and shared! Oh, and don't forget to check out Chef Ken Frank's shoes...

• Chinese (Traditional) first
“Nice people, average food, high price”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 7, 2009

Ken and Shirelle Frank are wonderful people. We loved their previous location. It may have become tired and an "issue" to the owners involved at the previous Rancho Caymus location, who knows.

All I know is my personal experience, This location is very nice but when compared to Redd, Bouchon, Cyrus, and other similar places presented as being in the same category, LaToque is not even in the same league. These other fine dining establishments blow La Toque away. I suggest that if you consider this a great restaurant, you may wish to try a few others listed and you will see the evident difference!

If you are an aware person, you will recognize the strong corporate presence looking around while you are dining. I never cared for having some corporate suit and tie wondering in and out while I'm having dinner.

As indicated, I like the people, the staff, etc., the food has a way to go. Not stellar.

Lake Tahoe
“Fantastic from start to finish”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 4, 2009

I have been to La Toque twice now, and both times the food and wine have been fantastic. No doubt this is a place for foodies -- if your eyes don't glaze over detailing the flavors, textures and colors of your last favorite dish, then this may not be the place for you.

Take my first course on this last visit: velvety soft beef carpaccio topped with dollops of slightly smoky aioli, tiny tiny cubes of fried potatoes crisp on the outside and creamy on the inside, and vibrant green, slightly bitter micro greens. Can you imagine the difficulty matching a wine to velvety-smoky-crisp-bitter, not to mention dealing with the fat from the beef and ailoi and not washing away the wonderful sensations in the mouth? Putting yourself in the hands of a great chef and sommelier and trusting you be well treated is part of what you pay for at a place like this.

Best 3 hours i've spent in a restaurant in a long time.

Banbury UK
“Don't bother”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 29, 2008

Over priced and pretentious with supercillious service makes this restaurant one to delete from your itinerary.
October 2008

Vestavia Hills, Alabama
“Better Dining in Napa”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 25, 2008

I went to La Toque in Rutherford 2 years ago, and as part of a group went back in its new location a few weeks ago. I can say in our 4 day stay our group of 6 found this to be our least favorite dining experience in Napa Valley. I wasn't too overwhelmed by it 2 years ago either. We are all world travelers who have had to dine in some of the finest places in the world. The staff is pretentious. The new location in the Westin, well, feels like you're in a Westin. After having some spectacular meals, not one person in our party was super thrilled with this experience. It was ok. The wine was of course wonderful but that is to be expected. I know I'll be back to Napa over and over but I won't be back to La Toque.