“Perfect Location for Walking” 4 of 5 stars

Offers & Announcements
Save 20% OFF
Ranked #11 of 27 hotels in Napa
Norfolk, VA
“Perfect Location for Walking”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 10, 2013

We did not book our stay in Napa until a week prior and found this hotel. We found it very convenient for walking to downtown (if you do not mind walking) and also for driving through Napa Valley and over to Sonoma. We were aslo about 1 hr and 15 min from San Fran to catch our flight back to VA for a 9am flight. The hotel was very clean, very comfortable bed, free parking, free wifi, and overall met our expectations. We intentionally did not book a spa/resort type of hotel because we knew we were going to be out most of the time and it was expected the hotel would be a bit more b/c we were in Napa Valley. However, we paid a bit over $200/night (less that some other postings here) and were not disappointed at all. The staff was very friendly and courteous and gave us printouts and information for anything that we needed. The AC was noisy but was fine with us as we like the "white noise" to sleep - the con on the AC was that if we wanted to sit on the balcony, it blew out hot air on us and it was warm during our visit so the heat and the noise made it difficult to enjoy a quiet sit on the balcony SO we just opted to go downstairs and sit outside on the patio. I do think the water should be included BUT we had brought on own and refilled as necessary or bought elsewhere. No worries for us. I would recommend if paying the lower price.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Hotel M, Manager at River Terrace Inn, responded to this review, October 11, 2013
Thank you for being a guest of River Terrace Inn. We thank you for your kind review and we are happy to hear you enjoyed your stay. Due to our location, it does allow our guests to explore quite a bit of Napa and we are glad you took advantage of this. We invite you back for another stay should your travels bring you back to the California.

943 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (192)
San Francisco, California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 9, 2013

I stayed at the River Terrace Inn in June with my mother. We stayed only one night before heading out to Healdsburg for a weekend trip. The hotel room was great, the staff incredibly nice, and we were only a quick drive to town which makes this hotel great for staying "in town."

Unfortunately, after we checked out and drove away I realized I left my blouse in the closet. I quickly phoned the front desk and the lady who answered my call confirmed that there was a blouse and asked me to describe it. I described it and she said she could mail the blouse and bill it to our card. I gave her my address and said thanks and my mom and I were off on our next adventure.

That was in June. After countless calls (I think actually it's been about seven calls at this point), an email to the manager, and finally getting a hold of he manager, I still don't have it. The last time I spoke to the manager, he confirmed that the hotel did say they had the blouse, but he could find no evidence of whether or not it was actually mailed. The manager apologized and said he would refund the room, and would give me a call back. He never called back, and our card was never refunded. The blouse cost about $180 retail value and was brand new.

If I lost the blouse that's one thing, but I didn't. And it's the actual manner with which I've been treated that I want to warn others about when staying here.

Hopefully for other customers of this hotel, should something go wrong, they won't be treated so poorly.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Atlanta, Georgia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 7, 2013

I did not get what I paid for at this hotel. I think great customer service should go with a $450 a night rate. When we arrived, our room had been downgraded without us being notified ahead of time. They did rectify the problem, but only by giving us another customer's room whom I am sure was disappointed when they arrived.
In the morning, I waited 25 minutes in the lobby, no staff member in sight, to request cream be put out with the coffee which was already there. They offer baked goods in the morning for sale. This was a very disorganized process, the food not getting out until 7:45. Then they did not have change so we waited for her to go find some. Then I requested butter, all they had was a frozen bowl of butter??!! So she went to soften it and came back saying it was now all melted. Come on even McDonalds has individual pats of butter for customers.
As many other reviewers have noted the walls are very thin, expect to hear people talking through them and walking on the floor above you.
Finally, be aware that although downtown napa is pretty nice, it is a 10 minute walk away. Right around the hotel are things like auto parts stores and walmart.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Hotel M, Manager at River Terrace Inn, responded to this review, October 8, 2013
Hello, thank you for your recent stay with us. Service to our guests is our top priority, so we are sorry to hear that your stay was not more enjoyable. We hope you enjoyed downtown Napa and we appreciate your feedback.
Westport, CT
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 6, 2013

We stayed at the River Terrace Inn as part of a week-long CA trip. The hotel is approximately an hour and a half drive from San Francisco. We were surprised that it was right off the same busy road as the Walmart down the street. (That turned out to be handy...I went and bought some water and fruit when I found out it wasn't complementary.) Parking is free. Check-in went fine, but not friendly. [As an aside, I happen to be reading Danny Meyer's book, "Setting the Table," which is about the hospitality industry, so my expectations are very high compared to his standard.] Our room on the first floor was large and comfortable. I agree with other reviewers that there is something wrong with the AC; it runs in spurts and is pretty loud. I did like the ceiling fan. The wifi was free and worked well. We enjoyed the complimentary wine tasting on Friday night, run by a local winery. The reason I gave this a 3 was that we paid ~$1,200 for 2 nights ($450/night plus fees and taxes), and it just didn't seem worth it. I had read about the complimentary breakfast on TA, but apparently they started charging a few months ago. We paid $5.50 each for a prepackaged bowl of cereal. By comparison, the next morning, we went to the Model Bakery at the Oxbow Market (very close by) and paid about that for a delicious egg sandwich. Ditto with charging for the water. These things cost the hotel so little per guest (if you buy in bulk), but charging for them after such a steep bill seems petty and leaves the guest feeling unappreciated. We stayed at four hotels on our trip, and this one was the most expensive, but we felt it was the lowest value. I see others paid a lot less and that would have changed my perspective ...a bit.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Hello, thank you for being a recent guest of ours during your California trip. We are happy to hear you enjoyed the space of your room and the convenience of our location. Also, we are glad you joined us for the free wine tasting. We do wish that we had met more of your expectations and we invite you back should you visit Napa again. Thank you for your feedback.
Austin, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 2, 2013

The rooms were average for the price paid. The AC was a bit loud and we could hear partiers in the rooms beside us. It's a good starting point for people wanting to tour the wine country because you can tour wineries by day and spend an evening in downtown Napa. It is also close to the wine train depot.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Hotel M, Manager at River Terrace Inn, responded to this review, October 3, 2013
Hello, thank you for your recent stay with us. We are glad you were able to benefit from our convenient location and got to explore the area of Napa including, of course, the wineries. We appreciate you taking the time to leave us a review. We hope you join us again in the future.
Phila, PA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 1, 2013

The Inn was very nice. Rooms were clean, bed was good, pool was a bit small, but we weren't there to swim. The air conditioner in the room was ok, seemed to come on every 5 minutes, and it was a bit loud. As others have said, great location for walking to downtown Napa, and the Riverwalk. The breakfast package was great, the restaurant, Cuvee is a great place for food or drinks. It's across the parking lot, very close. And there is a bar in the lobby which is good too. We liked the outdoor fire pit too. We enjoyed our stay and would come back.

Room Tip: Go for the breakfast package. We usually skipped lunch while wine touring and just had a late break...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Hotel M, Manager at River Terrace Inn, responded to this review, October 2, 2013
Thank you for being a recent guest of ours. We are happy you enjoyed your stay and that you were able to benefit from our prime location to tour different parts of Napa. We appreciate you taking a moment to leave us your kind review and we look to forward to your next visit with us!
Atlanta, Georgia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 30, 2013

My husband and I just returned from a 4 night stay at the River Terrace Inn. This trip was to celebrate our 10 year wedding anniversary. I booked the hotel a few months ago and reserved a King River View room. The cost was fairly high, but I wanted this to be special so I opted for the more expensive room. I even called the hotel a month prior to our visit and told them that we were celebrating our 10th anniversary and would appreciate if they could give us the best view possible. We arrived at the hotel last Wednesday night after a very long and exhausting travel day. When we arrived we were told that we had been "downgraded" and would not be booked in our reserved river view room. She said that they had overbooked the hotel and the manager had decided to downgrade us! You can only imagine my disappointment and frustration!
The only concession they offered us was to take $20 off our booked rate! That was the normal rate for the parking lot room anyway! The manager was not available until the next day. He was less than sympathetic and did not geniunely seem to care that he had started our trip on the wrong note. I had initially asked to be moved to the river view room the next day, but decided against it because of the inconvenience of having to pack up and move. The manager said that he would stay in touch with us to make sure we were ok, but we never heard from him again. At the very minimum you would expect a bottle of wine to be sent to the room or some way of saying sorry that we "downgraded" such a special occasion, but nothing. In addition, my husband had emailed the hotel prior to our stay to ask about flowers being sent to our room, but no one ever responded.
It is a shame because this is a nice, clean hotel in a very convenient area. We would really have recommended this hotel had it not been for the poor customer service.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Jennifer389, thank you for your review and thank you for choosing the River Terrace Inn. I sincerely apologize that your stay wasn’t up to your expectations. I know that although we did have the Riverview King on the second day of your trip, moving rooms can be an inconvenience. Not having your booked room type was our mistake and wish this would have never happened. At River Terrace Inn, customer service is our highest priority, and your comments will help us to improve. I do thank you for your comments about the hotel being “Nice and clean” and will pass this message along our housekeeping staff. I invite you back to our property in the future and apologize again for your experience. Warm regards.

Been to River Terrace Inn? Share your experiences!