“Cream of the Crop” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #6 of 25 hotels in Napa
Chicago, Illinois
“Cream of the Crop”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 31, 2013

This may be my favorite hotel in the world. I have now spent two separate weeks here, and every moment at this hotel is as exceptional as the rest.

First, the accommodations. The interiors of the rooms are smallish, but this is more than made up for by (a) the large bathrooms (with heated floors), (b) the garden space, and (c) the fact that you are in Napa - get out of your room!

For my wife and me, having a private garden to sip the wine you picked up earlier that day or week is just perfect. With day beds or lounge chairs, a full table for four, heat lamps for the chillier evenings, and soaking tub, these private spaces offer you the ability to relax the way you want to on a trip to wine country.

The common areas/grounds are just as relaxing and spectacular. The pool at the top of the hill is quite possibly the most beautiful setting in all of Napa (and that is saying something). The clubhouse is warm and inviting, the spa is top-notch, and the little "villages" with sour orange and kumquat (i think) trees are serene and pleasant when walking to and from Boon Fly, the Hill, etc.

Finally, the service. What can I say? This place is the end-all-be-all of luxury service. I asked ahead of time that my room be prepped with ingredients for old-fashioneds (my drink of choice). They went above and beyond - had a tray in my room with Maker's Mark (my choice), sugar cubes, fresh home-made bitters, artisan drenched sour cherries, a couple fresh oranges and a knife for slicing them. Then, to tie it together, they delivered a fresh bucket of ice each morning.

This is just a singular sample of the amazing service provided at every turn at this place. They will make arrangements for wine tours, dinners, etc. that aren't the same ol' places every other hotel sends their guests. They will bring you food from any one of three restaurants to any where you want to sit and eat. Nothing goes unconsidered or unaccounted for.

The only reason I hesitate to publish this raving review is that I selfishly want to keep the traffic down at this place. Alas, they deserve it too much for me to keep it mum (and based on the other reviews, the cats out of the bag anyway!).

Room Tip: Ask for a room closer to the hill, that way you don't have to trek too far to enjoy the pool wit...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple

601 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (92)
Sausalito, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 31, 2013

Carneros Inn consists of several small (and some larger) cottages. Our cottage had one bedroom and the most luxurious bathroom with heated floors. There was also an outdoor shower and bath tub as well as an outdoor dining table, lounge chairs and fireplace. The property is just absolutely gorgeous! We enjoyed eating breakfast and lunch at the Hilltop restaurant which is for guests only and had amazing views of the surrounding vineyards. We had dinner at the Boon Fly restaurant which is open to the public and served tasty food in a relaxed atmosphere. My husband enjoyed the Hilltop pool and hot tub. They also have a family pool area with a tot pool but since my baby and I were sick we didn't take advantage of that.

The reason I have only rated this place as average is that we had some problems with service. Housekeeping came for turn down service at 9:45 the first night. We were already in bed sleeping! The next day we never got regular service. They didn't come while we were out for a late breakfast so we called to make sure they came when we were out for wine tasting. We came back around 6:30 pm and still no service. This was very frustrating for us because we had planned to eat dinner in the room since our baby was tired and cranky. When we called to talk to a manager, there was no apology or attempt to make up for this lack of service.

Another disappointment was the spa. I was very excited to try it out because I had read great things about it. I really wanted (and needed) a pedicure. When I called on Saturday to schedule one, I was told that they did not have a nail tech in until Wednesday. I was shocked that nobody was available on a Sunday. Ok, I get that it is low season and can see maybe having reduced services on Mon/Tues but nothing on a Sunday? Bummer. Also, the woman on the phone was not very friendly about it.

I would stay here again if I got a decent rate, because it was so beautiful and relaxing but I do hope that service and staffing improves.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Orlando, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 27, 2013

We just stayed at The Carneros Inn for our honeymoon and couldn't be more pleased with everything about the property. The staff was more than helpful with making us feel relaxed by booking tastings and transportation for us, and we even had a romantic bike ride to Artesa Winery with the awesome vintage style bikes that they provided for us! The cottages are gorgeous, plush, private, and the views are beautiful from anywhere on property. We will definitely be back for our one year anniversary!

Room Tip: Cottages with the outdoor shower and tub seem unnecessary, but if you travel there when the weather...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Santa Clara, CA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2013

We stayed at The Carneros Inn, and it was absolutely breathtaking. We stayed in the private homes, so it was absolutely amazing. Wonderful views, impeccable design, and beautiful grounds. We walked the grounds a lot in the mornings, and there was beautiful fruit trees all around, and the landscaping was perfect. We also ate at the Boon Fly Cafe, which was awesome. We will definitely be back next time we come to Napa to check out the little cottages.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Brooklyn, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2013

We stayed here at the beginning of October, and it was our first vacation with our daughter (who was six months old at the time). We could not have been happier. The property is beautiful, the rooms are quiet and relaxing, the food on property is very good and of a great variety. Best thing about it thought was that each room has a private patio space. We were able to put our daughter down for naps and to sleep at night inside, and we could stay out on the patio relaxing, without having to worry about disturbing her. That is a huge level of freedom when traveling with a small child! Cannot recommend this place enough.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Winter Garden, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 14, 2013

I absolutely loved the Carneros Inn and my husband and I just got married here in August 2012 so it will always have a special place in my heart. First off...wedding wise, we worked with Brooke who is the wedding coordinator and she was amazing. I wouldn't hesitate recommending the Carneros Inn to anyone getting married that wants a beautiful location and a worry free planning experience and wedding day.

Now to the resort....absolutely breathtaking. The cottages were perfect size for us and I loved having a backyard with a fire pit. We ended up going to a grocery store and got s'more supplies and roasted s'mores in our backyard which I NEVER expected to be doing while in Napa. We really enjoyed getting breakfast at the Boonfly Cafe and although this is an extremely upscale resort I loved that I didnt feel like i needed to be dressed up everywhere i went. The staff all around property were extremely accommodating although I think we are very low maintenance type of vacationers (we work at Walt Disney World so we know how tourists can be :)). The property was great to walk around and after a few laps we had no problem finding our way around the complex. We didn't hear any neighbors at all so it was a very relaxing peaceful wedding/honeymoon stay.

The Carneros Inn is a little separated from Napa itself but it was a relatively short drive into the Valley so it wasn't bad at all. Domaine Carneros is right across the street practically so if you like champagne then you can walk there and not worry about taking a taxi home ;). The resort has enough amenities at it that you could spend an entire week there without even going to any wineries and you wouldn't even miss them! For those of you that go to Napa to actually drink wine :), you can have the (extremely friendly) concierge plan out your entire tasting itinerary for you so no work needed on your part.

My only complaint about the property was that we didn't spend enough time there!!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Fort Worth, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 9, 2013

This was the 6th year we have stayed at The Carneros Inn. Obviously we love it or we would not keep coming back. It is an amazing place, very romantic, great beds, a huge indoor-outdoor shower and fabulous soaking tub. We have always been treated very well there. My husband calls the cabins 5 star camping although it is nothing like camping. The cabins are not attached to another room so it is quite and very private. We have stayed in the the cabins a couple of times that has a bathtub big enough for 2 outdoors with an amazing outdoor fire pit. We always take advantage of a nice soak with bubble bath and sit in front of the fire pit with a glass of wine. Even in December it was perfect. We will keep going back there every year because we love it. Oh, The Boonfly is the best place for breakfast.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to The Carneros Inn? Share your experiences!