“Perfect escape in Napa .” 5 of 5 stars

The Carneros Inn
4.5 of 5 Resort   |   4048 Sonoma Hwy., Napa, CA 94559   |
Ranked #6 of 27 Hotels in Napa
San Francisco, California
“Perfect escape in Napa .”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2012

I just spent the weekend at The Carneros Inn. This is about my fifth stay at the Hotel and really felt I need to write a review as I LOVE THIS PLACE. First of all the location is ideal especially if you plan to explore Napa and Sonoma. I suggest you reach the very informed and professional Concierge staff before your stay especially if you want to explore the local restaurants or recieve extra VIP service at the wineries. Upon check in you are welcomed by a friendly staff that offers you a glass of wine , immediatley you are relaxed and ready to enjoy everything the Hotel has to offer. You are then escorted to your well designed cottage which I love, since its not your typical hotel setting, its more of a private exclusive escape. You walk into your cottage and I had amazing indoor , outdoor living floorplan. The beds and bedding is what you expect from a luxury hotel, but my WOW moments are the outdoor soaking tub and outdoor shower in my private garden setting. In the evening the cottage had a private fireplace in the garden, which I stargazed at night , as I sipped the delicious house wine. The workout facility was wonderful on my way to the gym, I peeked into a comp Yoga class but chose to indulge in a morning swim and take advantage of the state of the art equipment. The weekend I was there the hotel also offered a guided walk and bootcamp. During the day the Hotel has special areas that you can relax for example the bocci court area has a beautiful lawn and I went to the little market on property and had some wonderful food . The main pool near the Hilltop Restaurant was unique. I love kids but it was extra special that it was Adult only. Truely relaxing looking at the valley and dipping in the pool. Finally , I cant say enough of the can do attitude of the staff. They always greeted me and made sure all my needs were being met. REMEMBER you next trip to the wine country needs to have CARNEROS INN on your agenda. You will not be sorry and you might make it a repeat escape , just like I have for the past couple of years.

Room Tip: Make sure to book the rooms with the bathing tub and outdoor shower in the garden. The experience is...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (105)
Diablo, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2012

A friend said that the Carneros Inn was beautiful, but I didn't really expect much when my husband and I decided on an anniversary trip to this place. We were stunned to find our "cottage" a 1200 square foot home packed with every amenity possible. Let's see: expresso machine, Viking appliances in the kitchen, refrigerator stocked with soda, water, and a cheese plate when we arrived - and it got better and better. We settled into our 2 bedroom cottage and imediatley began turning up one special touch after the other including the indoor/outdoor shower, the large soaking tub, the outdoor fireplace, the huge bubbling hot tub/spa, the uncanny full wall sliding door, the Direct TV satellite televisions (3 of them) the marble dining room table, the fabulous and comfortable beds, the bath products in large and useable containers and so much more. We decided to take a look at the pool area and get something th eat at the Hilltop restaurant (private) and in my husband's words, "this burger is outrageously good." I was in the mood for a BLT and I am still salivating.

After spending our first day by the gorgeous pool overlooking the vine covered hillsides, we retired to our outdoor spa and enjoyed a bottle of complementary Pinot Noir under the stars. We ordered in since the Farm restaurant was fully booked and room service provided so many food choices. The quality of the food was great and only my husband's halibut was slightly disappointing. He actually finished my large portion of fried Chechen and buttermilk mashed potatoes. We couldn't pass up the homemade donuts for dessert - and you shouldn't either- fabulous.

In the morning, a lovely basket arrived with homemade muffins, scones, and croissants and juice. We made ourselves several cups of expresso to go with the pastry and then ordered in for a big breakfast. Both of us got the "eggs in a hole" - over easy eggs placed in the center of crustless sour dough bread - served with crispy, scrumptious hashbrowns. This dish was so good we ordered it again the second day and I'm still thinking about how fresh and sensational the egg dish tasted.

We didn't leave our patio until 1 pm, when we finally strolled back over to the salt water and simply stunning pool. The ever present but totally invisible wait staff were ready to take our food and drink order all throughout the day and the complimentary silver bucket of ice and bottled water made it feel like we were in our own private villa in Umbria. The mood at the pool area is quiet, luxurious, elegant and yet extremely unpretentious. We ordered a cheese and olive plate which arrived with the most incredible rosemary and citrus scented green olives, crostini, hard cheese and proscuitto.

Unfortunately, the Farm restaurant is closed on Modays so we did not have the opportunity to try the cuisine however, while walking over to the restaurant, we sampled 3 varieties of apples and other fruit (including lucious pears) right off the hundreds of fruit trees on the property. There was a limited menu at the bar of the Farm and every staff person we met was eager to make sure we had food and drink. We walked over to the Market, a lovely country store, and found freshly made sandwiches, expresso and other coffee drinks, and all sorts of other goodies. It was very difficult to leave the Carneros Inn but we will surely return. This is not an inexpensive stay by any means but the travel value is considerable in light of the accommodations, the food and the simply beautiful grounds. This is a quiet and spectacular property in which every possible luxury is afforded to the traveler seeking high quality accommodations. There is a family/children's area including a fabulous pool and proximity to the more casual Boon Fly restaurant which serves delicious comfort food -all where there is a more appropriate setting for kids.

Make sure you ask for a cottage with a view of the hills if possible, and if you want complete quiet, let the reservation it's know when you are booking. In spite of the elegance of this place, there is ample opportunity for more boisterous neighbors to ruin your solice. We found our multi couple neighbors to be loud and insensitive to the desires of some to simply take in all the beauty and rest. Thankfully, they were gone by our second day.

There are many beautiful and elegant hotel/Inn accommodations available in the Napa Valley but this is the only one I have seen that rivals any place I've been in Italy. Next time I will brush up on my Italian, close my eyes and insult my husband in Italian to bring the experience right back to Tauromina.

Room Tip: Ask for a cottage with a view and inquire about neighbors if you plan on enjoying peace - if you hav...
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 30, 2012 via mobile

We recently spent 2 nights at the Carneros Inn from Sun - Tues in August. It is a beautiful resort but we were left with a bitter taste at the end of our stay.

I would only recommend staying at this place over a weekend. The Hilltop Restaurant and The Farm are only open Thurs - Sun and the options for dining outwith these days are limited.

All was well on our fist morning when we had breakfast at Hilltop Restaurant in sublime surroundings overlooking the valley, but on the Tuesday morning we arrived at Hilltop to find it was closed, with the alternative being Boon Fly Cafe. This is essentially a roadside diner where we waited for 10mins for a table and were provided with a diner type service eg mugs of coffee and fast turnaround. At $550/night this was somewhat of a surprise and way below standard expected.

At no time during check in did staff mention the limited options or advise that certain facilities would be closed and this is something I feel is essential to manage expectations.

When we checked out we mentioned our disappointment and the lady wa somewhat non-plussed stating 'oh, I will pass on your feedback' with both my husband and I knowing full well that she had heard this before and was not really interested In what we had to say!

In summary a weekend retreat only, otherwise over-priced.

Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Minneapolis, Minnesota
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 29, 2012

The Carneros Inn is a lovely place. It is a bit out of the way as it is in the south end of the valley so getting to vinyards and restaurants is a bit tough.
The cottages are great, we were 3 couples and they put all our cottages near eachother so we could easily connect and spend evenings outside on our private decks.
Boon Fly was terrific and The Farm was very good although our table was right near the hostess stand and in the walkway from the bar which was less then ideal.
All in all it was great, would probably try someplace else next time.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with dressers, ours had none, made for a mess with clothes everywhere.
Boston
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2012

We spent two nights at the Carneros Inn in August. With kids we stayed in a family suite which was two cottages connected by a garden. Our stay was fabulous. The beds were incredibly comfortable and the garden was a wonderful place to have breakfast or enjoy a glass of wine at night. The spa services were heavenly and the two pools were beautiful. The grounds were so lovely we felt like we never needed to leave. In addition, we had a delicious meal at the Boon Fly Cafe - the warm arugula salad was one of the best things we ate on the vacation. This hotel is expensive but that would not keep us from going back - highly recommended!

Room Tip: The family suite is so convenient with a charming
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Novi, Michigan
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2012

We stayed this hotel as part of our honeymoom trip in Napa. This is a cottage style, so our bedroom is facing to a tiny yard (or patio). I saw people make comments about the yard was very small, which is ture. But you do get your privacy. The bedroom and the bathroom seems to be the similar size. I do hope the room is a little bigger. Since the fireplace, bed, and the desk are squeezed into one room, the bathroom seems to be bigger than it needs to be.

They have heated floor in the bathroom. Even in August, it is still nice to have in the early morning. The bed is very comfortable and clean. And the surrouding environment is very romantic.

Knoxville, Tennessee
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 25, 2012

We were at this property in July for two nights & absolutely loved it! It was a very different style than what I've stayed in. Adorable cottages with front poches & rocking chairs with courtyards that had recycled fountains & beautiful flowers everywhere. We had a Premier Garden Cottage which was extremely spacious, gorgeous private patio with chase lounges, dining table & alfresco shower. Lot's of flowers too here too. The bathroom had heated, slate floors & was huge. A large soaking tub & seperate shower. There was also a fireplace & sitting area in the cottage.
The property is beautiful....so much so that we spent one entire day just lounging by the pool. The pool area overlooks the vineyards & distant mountains & is a fun place to relax, get pampered, & make new friends. The watermelon mojito by the pool is fantastic as was the outdoor dining.
I really enjoyed the spa services. It was hard to select just a few services as they all sounded wonderful. But I selected the 90 minutes warm goat milk massage & the sonoma goat milk body wrap. Both were fantastic! I defintely recommend the spa.
The resort had a very romantic feel to it. There was a great deal of privacy & beautiful places to sit & watch the sunset.
The service everywhere from the bellman, concierge, to waitstaff was all fantastic. We appreciated this great service very much & can't wait to visit again!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to The Carneros Inn? Share your experiences!