“Heaven On Earth” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #11 of 24 Napa B&B and Inns
London, United Kingdom
“Heaven On Earth”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 3, 2014

Amazing location, beautiful room, staff who could not do enough for us and amazing places to eat just a cab ride away for around $5.

My wife and I stayed for 4 nights on route from San Francisco to Big Sur and from the moment we arrived until the moment we left we were simply amazed at the care and attention to detail by the staff. They are friendly and often second guessing our requirements - I'm going to suggest half the hotels I've stayed in around the world take a visit to this hotel to find out how to offer exceptional service.

I booked a massage in the Spa, it was so good that I booked for the next day - best massage ever and I go to the 'best one' in London.

Everything from the breakfast to the turn down service was handled with love and care.

I'm puzzled by the complaints in other reviews on matters such as parking - perhaps they own a truck and trailer? There's plenty of well laid out parking.

One of the best features was that we felt that we were the only people staying, although the place was full. My wife and I would often spend hours simply relaxing in the room or the grounds.

We've been to some of the best hotels in the world and this one is up there with them.

Book it without hesitation - it was far better than our next hotel in Big Sur and half the price!

Room Tip: Ask for Room 10.
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (50)
Indianapolis, Indiana
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 27, 2014

The staff is very friendly and the room was extremely comfortable. The grounds are relaxing with fountains all around, nice flower beds and the Napa River running through it. Given the cost for the room, however, I expected Milliken to be the kind of place you could relax at for part of the day before hitting town. Not the case. You can walk the grounds from one end to the other in less than 5 minutes. Small facility- only 12 rooms. Breakfast is not served until 8:00 am and there are no coffee makers in the room (neither lunch nor dinner is served). For an east coaster like me, waiting for coffee until 8 was life threatening. I asked for a coffee maker and was told they would bring one over. When we got back that night there was no coffee maker. Stayed 2 nights and each night, around 10, an air compressor in the whirlpool/tub went off inexplicably for about 2-3 minutes and was real loud. Finally, parking is hard. They do not have enough parking spots so people get creative. There is no street parking because the Inn is on a highway (leaving no place to jog). Next time we will look for a place in Yountville, which is a much more quaint area of Napa.

Greenville, South Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 8, 2014

It started with the phone call with Joyce and was followed up by our check in with Missy. AMAZING!! The attention to detail, the help and suggestions offered, were wonderful. The grounds were immaculately groomed and the room was cozy (had a fireplace) the bedding so comfortable, and the robes were just what we were looking for after a hectic stay in SFO. Nightly wine tastings and then finishing the evening off with some port and chocolates was divine! The spa was perfect. My husband and I planned two massages and probably could have had one daily! The staff was so nice and accommodating. As you can see I don't have enough words to express how nice our stay was at Milliken Creek. I certainly hope to get back someday!!!

Room Tip: We did not have a balcony, but breakfast was delivered anywhere on the grounds. But, many other room...
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 4, 2014

Though I have no frame of reference for the Napa Valley specifically, we thoroughly enjoyed our stay. On a global basis, this is one of the best hotel stays I have experienced.
The staff is polite and attentive, but not overly accommodating in that "leave me alone already" sort of way. I prefer some space, but do like to have all needs addressed either proactively or very quickly if it is a reactive situation.
I enjoy places that are a bit more classic, low key, and of course high quality. Milliken exceeded expectations on all fronts. I would highly recommend this place to anyone looking for a place that is low-key, classic, yet sophisticated. No glitz or glam, there are plenty of other places to see and be seen in Napa.
Loved it!

Room Tip: We stayed in the main building and loved it, not sure what the other options were.
New York, NY
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 4, 2014

Gorgeous hotel set in the lush gardens complete with babbling fountains next to a beautiful river. The room had its own private patio with a table and chairs, perfect for morning coffee. Incredible service – they bring you breakfast to order in the morning. The room was clean, beautiful and perfect. Loved the fireplace! In the lobby they have DVDs that you can watch in the room. Perfect romantic inn.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with friends
Essenbach
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 3, 2014

We stayed three nights at Milliken Creek. It was the end of our long journey through the western part of the United States with a total of 10 stops.
We were really looking forward to this last stop, it should have been the highlight which it wasn't.
We paid US$2,024.82 for bed and breakfast for 2 people for 3 nights in a deluxe room which in our opinion is quite an amount of money.
Our bed (king-size) had seen better times. Your could really feel the inside of the mattress. The room was quite dark. Whilst this may be romantic (we have no problem with this) a bit more light in between would have been good.
There is no breakfast room at Milliken Creek which is good for the resort since they can use their space to sell more rooms. Breakfast is being served to your room which sounds good in the first place. We would however have preferred having the choice. Breakfast is not really good and it is not sufficient. You have the choice between a few variations. Looking at the size of the breakfast, it is probably good for some models in Hollywood and not for "normal people". Coffee is just enough to fill 2 cups by approx. two thirds. Ordering two pots on day two we got 1 with the explanation that we can always phone during breakfast and another coffee will then be delivered. I am not interrupting my breakfast to fill up my cup.....
There is a creek close by. The water is not really flowing and there is always a certain smell in the air. Talking about smell, Milliken seems to have some problems with their drain. You clearly notice it when you sit on your little terrace hoping to enjoy a good glass of wine.
We are not recommending the place. It is simply too expensive for what you get. Should other guests have a different view, no problem, we are living in a free world.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
glenview, Illinois, USA
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 3, 2014

Frankly, I was expecting a more upscale boutique inn for the money that I was paying.

Upon arrival I didn't feel especially welcomed by anyone. There was no bellman or anyone showing any sort of hospitality. Once I found Joyce, she didn’t seem very happy to be doing her job. She had no personality and has no business working the front desk or showing guests to their rooms. The young woman working the desk Saturday morning, May 31, was greatly under-trained. She had no knowledge of what time most stores opened up in town or any recommendations of shops. Her reply was, "I don't really shop in town." What a poor response! Train your staff! No staff member stood out or impressed us in any way during our stay.

Room #8 was nicely decorated, but was dated. The bed and bedding were the best part of the room. The carpet on the stairs leading up to the room appeared to be new. However, as soon as we stepped into the room we noticed that the carpeting was in horrible shape. It was worn and ripped. Why stop the new carpet just outside the guestroom door? What a shame... The bathroom door squeaks terribly and the toilet tank 'runs' and needs adjustment. The warped Pergo flooring in the toilet room makes the place look cheap. Very disappointed that this room was so run down and housekeeping, the maintenance crew and management aren't more on top of these things (and does something about it.)

Our stay was enjoyable because of the memories that we made, unfortunately not by the quality of the inn. For the premium cost per night, this inn fell far below expectations. I felt completely ripped off!

We had nice massages at the spa, but (again), way overpriced for the quality of the facility and services given. The grounds were nice, but could have been more manicured and weren’t as large as advertised.

There was only one person who stood out and went above and beyond to make our stay enjoyable. That person was Missy Parras, whom I didn't even have the pleasure to meet personally and thank her. She made numerous reservations for us ahead of our trip and I'm very grateful for her assistance.

The awards, accolades, & fancy website are all false advertising.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
FSInns, Manager at Milliken Creek Inn and Spa, responded to this review, June 13, 2014
I was so sorry to read the review of your stay at Milliken Creek Inn & Spa as we always strive to ensure that our guests feel they have experienced the ultimate in luxury, comfort, hospitality and value while visiting with us. Every one of our staff takes pride in the level of service they provide, so I apologize that we missed the mark on this occasion.

Our front desk staff are highly trained in guest service as well as being local to the area, the perfect combination to assist our guests in experiencing the very best of wine country. I understand that we made every effort to help during check-in as well as in researching store information, so again, I apologize for the situation.

I would very much like to discuss this matter further, directly with you, in the hopes of welcoming you back to Milliken Creek Inn & Spa.

Warmly,

David Jessup
Milliken Creek Inn & Spa

Been to Milliken Creek Inn and Spa? Share your experiences!