“Winemaking Old School” 5 of 5 stars

Little Rock, Arkansas
5 attraction reviews
“Winemaking Old School”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 28, 2013

We loved our visit to White Rock. We had a personal tour with the owner Henri. He is a Berkley trained economist that wondered from France to Napa wine making back in the early 70's. It is a family winery that produces amazing chardonnay and cabernet in both an old Burgundy style and a more fruit forward style. We loved the attention to detail in both styles.
The cave is amazing. Unlike most wine caves, this one is carved into stone. It is old lava flows. The gun-nite present in almost every cave is here in the opening but it gives way to beautiful caverns carved into the stone in the rear of the cave. You get a real sense of the layers that the vines grow down into.
The tasting was laid back and full of information about the process and the owner's opinions on the various techniques. Even the bottle stacking storage technique was unique.
This is a small winery probably incapable of hosting huge numbers of tours but for a unique experience in Napa, you should add this winery to your list. You will not regret it.

Visited April 2013

Marlton, New Jersey
7 attraction reviews
“Unique and very quality experience”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 14, 2013

I appreciated how personal this tour was. You could tell how proud Henri, the owner and tour guide, is of his craft. We learned so much from him. It was just my mother and I and he took us on a personalized tour and tasting completely free of charge. We were able to meet one of his son's who is the wine maker. It was wonderful to hear how this was such a family run business. This was a different experience from anything else we did in Napa/Sonoma. He was actually one of the few people that took us out to the vineyards. I really enjoyed the Claret wine that they make there. The caves were incredible. I highly recommend visiting this tour if you are in the area. It will be different than anything else you do.

Visited April 2013
Hong Kong, China
324 attraction reviews
“AMAZING GEM...go if you can”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 13, 2013 via mobile

I almost don't want to write this review because others may flock here. This winery is small but was one of the best we have ever visited. It is not commercial but with really wonderful wines. I especially loved the reds and my friends the whites so they have a wonderful selection. If you want a unique experience to "tell the kids about," this will give it to you. The wine caves were beautiful and the owner of the vineyard gave us a wonderful tour and overview of how they make the wine. I haven't been in anything like the wine caves and I just didn't want to leave. When I go back to Napa, I will definitely go back here. I ordered a case of wine which I also can't wait to get home to drink!!!

Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Must See Winery/Vineyard”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 29, 2012

Personalized tour. Small, out-of-the-way winery that specializes in French-style wine. A nice change from the larger, busy wineries and vineyards. A must see for wine connoisseurs.

Visited November 2012
Simi Valley, California
5 attraction reviews
“Nice, personal tour”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 25, 2012

Met up with Henri (ann-ree) at the vineyard. We were late getting up to Napa, but called ahead to let him know. He was very cool with the delay and went right into the quick tour when we showed up. He gave us the lay of the land, a bit of the history of his family and then showed us the caves. The tastings were done in the back of the caves and Henri was very good and explaning the various wines. We especially like their whites (bought 4). It is a good, personal way to get to know the wine making process. Make sure you E-mail Henri ahead of time and setup a reservation. It's not crowded, they need to know you are coming and it's also off the beaten path.

Visited September 2012