“Wonderful Stay in Napa Valley” 4 of 5 stars

Special Offer
La Residence Expansion
Ranked #4 of 25 hotels in Napa
Milwaukee, Wisconsin, United States
“Wonderful Stay in Napa Valley”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 14, 2012

This was our first time to stay at La Residence and will not be our last! The rooms are very nice and a good size if you will be there for more than a few days. The fire [place is a nice addition.

The breakfast and evening wine reception (at 6pm which is useful as a lot of places that offer this service do it at 4pm and you never are there for it) are both great.

Room Tip: ask for a room farther away from the road if there during colder seasons. With no leaves on the tre...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
LaResidenceNapa, General Manager at La Residence, responded to this review, November 16, 2012
Dear Dennis M,

Thank you for choosing La Residence to be your home while visiting the Napa Valley recently. I am happy to read that you intend to return to see us again in the future.

Our breakfast and nightly wine hour are great starting points to both your day and your evening and also allow the chance to mingle and meet other guests also.

When your schedule allows, we truly look forward to welcoming you back and assisting in any way we can to create another memorable time here in the beautiful place we call home.

Thank you for taking the time to review your stay.

285 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (71)
London
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2012

We stayed here for 2 nights in October and paid ~£270 per night. The property is attractive with well kept grounds. However, for the price we paid I have to say we were slightly disappointed. The check in area is something that you would expect in a b&b/hostel and our room (in the main house) although very large, clean and with a very comfortable bed, was far less luxurious than we had imagined based on the website and other reviews. We were lucky enough to have very good weather whilst in Napa and it was however lovely to sit out on the balcony by our room one day, although we basically overlooked the car park! The pool we did not use but is a nice addition (but is in the middle of the car park). Overall I have to agree with a few other reviews in that the website makes La Residence seem far more dreamy and superior than what we experienced, but all in all we had an enjoyable stay here and there was a very homely feel to the place. Contrary to some other reviews we actually found the breakfast to be perfectly adequate with fresh fruits, cereals, breads, juices etc. so no complaints there!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
LaResidenceNapa, General Manager at La Residence, responded to this review, November 15, 2012
Dear Lucy C,

Thank you for visiting La Residence in October and taking the time to offer feedback from your stay.

I am happy to read that you enjoyed your time with us in general and the comments offered for areas to potentially improve are very much appreciated and will be reviewed to find solutions.

We are always striving to improve our guest experience both before, during and after their stay with us and the input you have offered is very valuable to us.

I hope that should your travels allow a return visit to the Napa Valley that you may consider La Residence as an option to use as your base from where to explore Wine Country once more.

Thank you again for your review.

Sacramento
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 2, 2012

We booked a two night, non-refundable stay a few months ago and the rate was not cheap for booking in advance. At $250/night, we were expecting a room on a grander scale and were fairly disappointed. We were taken to a corner room on the third floor. Not much of a view. The room is just ok. The shutters did not work properly so our room was somewhat dark during the day. The shower is a joke! I've seen larger shower stalls in cruise ships, where space is confined. Fortunately we're not large folks, or showering would have been a challenge. Also, why no coffee pot in the rooms? Many guests prefer to make the coffee (while still in their sleepwear) without having to put on street clothes, walk to the lobby and get coffee. Breakfast and the evening reception were mediocre.

On the plus side: The bed was comfortable and the TV works well.
Dinner next door at Don Giovanni's was excellent.

David

Dear 101Park,

Thank you for offering feedback from your recent stay with us.

We are always looking to improve areas in which to make our guests stay more memorable and rest assured that we will look to use your comments to address areas where we fell short.

I hope that if you have the time to visit the valley once more that you may consider us again as a place to stay.

If this is the case, I would like to assist personally in making your next stay more to your satisfaction.

Thank you again for your review, we truly appreciate it.

Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 1, 2012

What a great place to stay! So I went out to Napa with the intent to propose to my then girlfriend (now fiancee). I was torn between doing it at one of the winerys we were to visit and the hotel. But when we got to La Residence, I knew I could pull it off in fine style there. I started a conversation with David, one of the hotel employees there and he immediatley sprung into action and helped me out. We did a lap of the property and picked out a nice spot amidst the vines and a nice fountain. The plan was to walk back from dinner (Don Giovanni) and take a short walk over to said location where I would propose. Beforehand, David let me know that he would have the location all set up with lit candles as well as a bottle of champagne waiting in the room afterward. Everything went perfect! We walked back from dinner and took a walk over to the fountain where I took a knee and popped the question. We returned to our room with champagne chilled and firewood waiting. I highly reccomend this place and if you do make a stay of it, say hello to David. He was extremely helpful in my little event and I have no doubt he will prove to be of utmost help to any of your needs. Bravo David! Definitely will stay here again if/when we visit next!

Joe

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
LaResidenceNapa, General Manager at La Residence, responded to this review, November 5, 2012
Dear Joe F,

I glad to see that you both had a fantastic and memorable experience for your stay and proposal with us in Wine Country. I am happy to read that David went above and beyond to make your proposal go off without a hitch!!

We look forward to welcoming you both back soon and assisting in anyway we can to make it as memorable as your last visit.

Congratulations and we hope to see you again soon!!

Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 1, 2012

We stayed at La Residence over a three-night period (Sunday-Wednesday) recently at the tail end of our vacation out West. We struggled to find the ideal location in Napa and chose La Residence based on reviews on various sites. The other reviewers who mention the wonderful hospitality are correct. David went above and beyond to make our stay at La Residence both memorable and special. On Day #1 he shared suggestions with us on local wineries that offer specials on tastings and shared dinner recommendations. He had a great deal of knowledge about Napa area restaurants and wineries. This proved to be helpful. While I wasn't around, my boyfriend mentioned to him that he was planning to propose to me on the trip. David suggested proposing in the evening by the beautiful fountains in the front of the property. My now fiance did just that and it was very romantic. David surprised us that evening with chilled champagne in the room, firewood for our fireplace and a sweet note of congratulations from the staff. I hope to return many times in the future to enjoy this wonderful spot with my fiance/future husband!

We stayed in a cottage king and loved it. The room was spacious with a nice fireplace that we used and a small kitchenette. Our patio overlooked a small patch of grapevines. The room was very private and we preferred this over staying in the main building. We enjoyed the evening wine hour - the back patio is so nice and we liked the Hall wines offered. It is fairly secluded and hidden, so you may even drive by it the first time. Look for the Bistro Don Giovanni sign.

If you want a personal approach, excellent hospitality and a peaceful setting, look no further than La Residence for your next stay in Napa!

Room Tip: Personally loved the Cottage King option due to privacy and size of room!
Dear KellyMc522,

We want to say thank you for offering your thoughts and feedback following your recent visit to La Residence.

Your comments on your experience are what we all strive towards when taking up a career in hospitality, as these once in a lifetime experiences shall live with you forever, and we are very lucky to be able to be a part of it.

As for David, he is always looking to go above and beyond and in your instance, he did just that. I will be sure to share your comments with him as he had discussed his "plan" earlier with me and was very excited to be able to make it happen.

I am glad that you got to say "yes" on property and hope that you might consider La Residence as an option to get married at or have your wedding guests enjoy time with us too...... That is if you are looking for a wine country wedding!!

Lastly, congratulations and we hope to see you again soon!!

New York City, New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 27, 2012

A very average quality country inn which seems to have a hype of a boutique hotel ... Except the outdoor patio (outside the breakfast room), there is really nothing boutique style about this place...
Standard rooms are a complete rip off since they don't offer anything more than a normal average size room with old furniture and draperies.

As for the suites and cottages, from outside they look appealing but from inside they are not that much better in furnishings to ask for outrageous room prices ..

The hotel website is quite misleading in showing the hotel situated within long sprawling vineyards, that is not completely true ... There are some grape wines on the property, but by no means it's a vineyard based facility especially in comparison to so many other gorgeous countryside inns in the area...

And Breakfast along with the evening wine hour is sooooo basic...

Room Tip: Unless you are getting something less than $150/night here, try avoiding this facility.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
Dear Shelmehr,

I would like to thank you taking the time to offer feedback from your stay in July with us.

I am disappointed to read that the Inn did not meet your expectations. Since the launch of our new website last year, we have made a concerted effort to show the Inn, the rooms and valley in which we are located in a very honest and detailed manner.

As with all feedback, we will review all points raised so we can continue to improve our operation.

Thank you again for taking the time to review your visit to La Residence.

Dublin, Ireland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 27, 2012

We stayed in the La Residence for 2 nights as part of an amazing road trip around California.

Of all the places we stayed we found Napa the hardest location from which to initially pick accommodation. We finally settled on La Residence as its location just on the edge of Napa town meant we could escape quickly into the heart of the valley for what we really came to see.

We booked an upstairs room in the French Barn overlooking the vineyards.

The Good
The room was very spacious and well appointed – nice furniture, nice country home feel to the place, comfy bed you could just fall into, nice bathroom and great views out onto their little vineyard.
Super service – we arrived to be greeted by smiling faces and a wine and cheese tasting they do every evening. I had been in contact with some of the staff (especially Kimberly) prior to our trip and they had been so helpful about places to see and eat etc.
Outside landscaping at the Inn was beautiful with a great little pool for an early morning dip and water features etc…it made the place feel a world apart!
Location is just perfect to get out to see the valley…you are literally in vineyards within 1 minute of exiting the grounds
The little restaurant just 2 mins walk from the Inn (Bistro Don Giovanni) was perfect for a late evening meal if like us you arrived late and hungry on our first evening's stay with no reservations for anywhere else. Some of the best pasta I have tasted in the US!..yum

The Bad
I didn’t realise how close the property was to a very large motorway. Mind you the sound of the water foundations dancing and the screening of the landscaping somewhat drowns out the noise but its always there in the background. For Europeans like us used to visiting older wine regions in France, Italy etc I was a little surprised just how large and busy the main motorway through the valley is. Still once you get off the motorway there are lots of nice little roads e.g. Silverado Trail etc to explore.
Breakfast was nice but other than the toast, tea and coffee is was not a hot breakfast…this is something I would have expected from a place like La Residence and something we did get on our stay at Inn’s in Sonoma which were charging a lot less for the stay.

If we are ever in the area again we would stay here again.

Other tips:
I know its cliche but book a convertible, put the top down and drive around the valley to drink in those views and get a great sense of the place. Clearly we weren’t the only ones with the same idea…4 mustang convertibles just like ours parked up at the Inn when we arrived gave us a good laugh!
Stags Leap (they kinda put Napa on the map in the 1970s) for us was one of the best wine tours and we didn’t even book, just rocked up early that morning. For some of the best vineyard views take the cable car in Sterling Vineyard to the outlook area on the top…great for pics!
Eat in all the fancy restaurants…we really enjoyed Bottega in Yountville (the entire town is just one restaurant after another). For a quick bite to eat at lunch try Mustards Grill or Brix right beside on another off the Highway just before Yountville heading south.

Room Tip: Book an upstairs room in the French Barn overlooking the vineyards.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Portofella,

Thank you for taking the time to offer a very detailed review of your experience here at La Residence.

I am happy to read that you enjoyed the Inn and all we offer. We are very fortunate to work together as a team and provide a home away from home for our global visitors!.

Next time you find the time to visit wine country, we hope that you may consider us as an option in wine country once more, I promise to have a parking spot reserved by your room for the convertible mustang too!!

Thank you again for your feedback and we hope you had a safe trip home.

Graham

Been to La Residence? Share your experiences!