“my doggies favorite!” 1 of 5 stars

Ranked #1 of 15 Attractions in Napa
Type: Art Museums, Wineries
More attraction details
Attraction Details
Owner description: Donald Hess established his first Mount Veeder vineyard in 1978, from the beginning recognizing that on these ridges and benchlands, the potential for great winegrowing was clear. Deep, rocky, volcanic soils provide a home for vineyard blocks producing small, concentrated fruit that reflects the challenges of growing grapes at higher altitudes in the coolest mountain growing region in Napa. The Hess Collection winery is part of a historic site where wine was first produced in the 1860’s, in a native stone build hewn by masons in 1903. The original stone structure is now joined by The Hess Art Collection, a world-class showcase of contemporary art that captures “two passions under one roof.” The Hess Collection uses sustainable, environmentally-sound practices with the axiom, “Nurture the land, and return what you take.” That philosophy brings with it a dedication to delivering wines that speak to their natural origins. Wine tasting & tours daily. Culinary experiences include pairings with small plates, artisan cheese and chocolates.
Napa, California
“my doggies favorite!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 30, 2013

I walk up here weekly with my dog. meet nice people...go next door to Christian Bros. Beautiful winery and art collection.

Modesto, California
4 attraction reviews
“Beautiful grounds, crowded tasting room”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 29, 2013

Beautiful historical building, and pretty grounds in hills. Was under assumption we'd have a private tour and tasting, but we're lumped in with a group for both :( Tour guide was great tho :) Tasting room so crowded couldn't even reach the bar, had to stand around next to walls for long time to finish tastings. Winery a bit out of the way.

Hoboken
5 attraction reviews
“Pretty landscape, good wine, what else do you need?”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 24, 2013 via mobile

This was my second vineyard stop on day one in napa. I'm not a big wine person, but compared to the first vineyard these wines were fantastic. I tried a few different reds (carignan, Mourvèdre, Cabernet Sauvignon, and charbono). Four wines come in a tasting for $10. I typically drink Rieslings and these four surprised me. Even bought a bottle to bring back to New Jersey.

We didnt check out the art gallery so I can't comment on that. The landscape and courtyard around the building were beautiful. I'd definitely recommend this as a stop if you're in the area.

Napa, California
33 attraction reviews
“Gallery Yes! Wine No!”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 22, 2013 via mobile

The gallery is interesting the first time I saw it; which was many years ago. Unfortunately, the only change is the dust on some of the sculptures.

The wine is mediocre and not worth the drive. There are other Wineries nearby that make better wine.

Visited November 2012
JimCaudill, Manager at The Hess Collection Winery & Art Museum, responded to this review, April 24, 2013
Tom, I'm sorry we seem to have disappointed you, but I did want you to know that, in fact, about 25% of the collection changes annually, and we're actually bringing new works in at an increasing rate. The wines vary on a regular basis, with many of the Small Block Series wines produced in small quantities just for people who are at the Visitor's Center. As a local, I can see by all your reviews that you have a critical eye, and we'll take your feedback to heart. We have lots of new culinary experiences to share with guests, so when you come again (if only for the art) I think you'll find more to your liking.
“Hess Collection Winery is well worth a visit”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 12, 2013

We stumbled on the Hess Collection Winery while exploring the town of Napa in our rental car. We followed a few signs and soon we found ourselves in the foothill outside of Napa. After a couple more turns/miles we pulled in front of large limestone building. It was late in the afternoon and there were not many cars in the parking lot. We were not sure if we should/wanted to go in, as were not really up to doing any wine tasting. We decided to go in anyway, since we had come so far, and are glad we did.
The winery has a large art collection, viewing is free. We started there and spent a good forty minutes, just checking out the, huge variety of art. Then we decided to take the winery tour. We were the only ones on the tour as it was the last tour of the day. The tour was very intriguing, as the history of the winery goes back to well prior to prohibition. Our guide was great and we were able to not only get many question answered about the winery, but about wine making in general.
In the end, we decided to pick up a couple bottles of wine, just to commemorate what turned out to be a good afternoon. We opened one of these bottles the other night. We now know the wine is good too.