“Picture perfect day in wine country!” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #19 of 216 Activities in Napa
Type: Tours, Food & Drink
More attraction details
Fee: Yes
Owner description: Napa Valley Wine Country Tours has been providing transportation for almost 20 years, specializing in private wine and scenic tours, corporate transportation and special events. We have a diverse fleet of luxury vehicles ranging from sedans to late model limo buses. Our main services are daily group tours and customized private tours from San Francisco and Napa, as well as corporate transportation within the San Francisco Bay Area.
Chicago, Illinois
“Picture perfect day in wine country!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 27, 2013 via mobile

We had a wonderful day touring Somona and Napa with the help of our driver, Keith! Bus was comfy, food was great (and I am super picky), and the stops along the way were wonderful. I would recommend this tour to family and friends! Definitely a good option for people like us who are unfamiliar with the region!

calgary
“Fun and Good Introduction to the Valley”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 25, 2013

We were recommend by the Hotel concierge to use the Limo Bus tour. Our driver Keith Reid made it all very worth while. Although the party style bus layout may not be the best way to travel, it does offer some nice advantages. What did make this worth while was that a picnic lunch was provided and Keith had a very good relationship with the wineries.

Calgary, Canada
“Roberto - Terrible, no wonder he's the backup”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 24, 2013

So my wife and I booked the group wine “tour” from San Francisco. We were picked up at 8:30 in Union Square, very convenient. We got on the bus and it was a party bus style (essentially sideways couches). There ended up being over 20 people on the bus. I don’t mind a party bus style, but they are usually better when you are with a group of friends and not 20 other people you’ve never met who you have to cram in next to and given the driving style of the Roberto, have to crash into every 3 minutes. So to elaborate a little bit more on the driver’s driving style, I think I’d have to call it the two foot method, one foot always on each of the pedals and just alternate slamming on each one. Once we were all on the bus Roberto told us which wineries we would be going to that day, and also explained that there would be tasting fees of $10-$20 per winery because if he took us to free places the wine would be terrible. I had no problem with tasting fees, I just found it odd how he explained to us free places have bad wine, and then 3 of the 4 places we ended up going were free.

So off we go and stop at the Golden Gate bridge look out. Back on the bus and Roberto gives you a mimosa and there are some trays with breakfast food on them. Good thing Roberto was there to make sure we were all instructed like 3 year olds to hold on to our glasses when the bus starting moving or they would tip over.

From there we were off to our first winery (well that was our guess at least, because over the entire day the driver never once explained to us where we were, where we were going, or what we would be doing). First stop was a Jacuzzi winery. Off the bus and instructed by Roberto what time we should be back on the bus at (once again talked to like we were 3 year olds). Nice place, wine was very Italian influenced. There is also an olive oil tasting at this location. There was no charge for tasting when we were there.

Back on the bus and on to the next stop… not sure why we needed to get on the bus though, next location was next door, may as well have walked. Viansa was the next stop. Once again we didn’t have to pay for tasting. Wine was nice and the location was quite nice too. These two first stops were in Sonoma.

Back on the bus and we were off to our next location, bumping back and forth with our neighbors again and Roberto gas/brake/gas/brake’d down the road, not really sure where we were going or ever where we were. We stopped in a parking lot and everybody all had a pretty confused look on their faces. We got off the bus and were lead into the back door of what was essentially a country supermarket. Cheese, fudges and a wine table. Neat little place, but seemed a little odd. We ended up figuring out that if you walked out the front door you were at Sonoma Plaza. Would have been interesting to hear a little history and description about the location, but I guess that was too much to ask for.

Back to the bus and next stop was the Madonna Estate winery, which I assume was in Napa based on the signs. The gentleman from Madonna was nice enough to give us all a tour of the winery (it was winter so not much to show) and then showed us inside the cellar and explained about the wine making process. We were then able to taste the wine, once again for free. After the tasting we went out to the front lawn of the winery and Roberto had setup lunch. Lunch was good, fresh bread and turkey, with some pasta salad. Once lunch was just about over Roberto came around with Visa slips for people to sign who had registered online, wasn’t sure why that was needed, but anyways no big deal. He went on to explain, in great length and fair amounts of awkwardness for the customers, how we could either tip him on the visa slip or we could tip him in cash later (“you know this is how we get paid”).

Last stop was Michael Mondavi Family Winery. Once again a nice location, good staff to explain their story and their wines. There was a $20 tasting fee per person here. Once we were all done here, back on the bus back to San Francisco. This time the return trip you go back over the Bay Bridge which was nice as it lets you see both sides of the city. However on the way back Roberto seemed to have trouble understanding that he had turned our bus into a sweatbox. He was asked to turn the temperature down, but it never seemed to happen. By the time we were able to get off the bus back at Union Square, everybody’s faces were beet red and everyone was dying to just get off that bus. But make sure you don’t forget to tip the driver, don’t worry though, he won’t let you forget.

In the end I wouldn’t call this a tour, I’d like it a driving service (a terrible one at that) out to Sonoma/Napa and back. Roberto’s poor attempt at humor and no insight into what we were doing or where we were really left us with a bad taste in our mouths. In the future I would probably book something a little smaller where I could pick which wineries I wanted to go to and hope that we got a driver that wasn’t so awful.

Visited March 2013
Mitchell B, General Manager at Napa Valley Wine Country Tours, responded to this review, March 27, 2013
Wow. That's a lot. Thank you for taking the time to share your experience. Robert takes it to heart, he is always looking for ways to improve. There is some good things in there and we will take the opportunity to discuss it with Roberto and our staff. We will be a better company next time you come!
Princeton, New Jersey
“A Magical Day in Napa with my daughters”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 22, 2013

After some confusion about contacting the right tour company (Beware, there are several companies with similar names, and I don't believe all are equal), we were redirected to Napa Valley Wine Country Tours. My two daughters and I scheduled a Sunday tour with Eric (Tracy). Eric called me two days prior to my scheduled tour to help arrange my itinerary. I had been to Napa about ten years ago, but this was the first visit for my twenty something year old daughters. Eric was knowledgeable and polite, even suggesting what wineries we should visit first to avoid feeling motion sickness from our drive (I admitted I was susceptible), and other details, like when to fit lunch into our plan. We dined at Auberge du Soleil, which I highly recommend to anyone. If you go, try to request a seat outside on the terrace--It was wonderful, and the view, spectacular. Anyway, our well dressed, charming driver, Eric arrived fifteen minutes early, to make sure we didn't miss our first winery reservation. He proceeded to share his considerable wisdom with us about both the area and the process of wine-making. We visited two wineries before lunch ( Beau Vigne in Yountville, and Cliff Ledes) both of which offered exceptional tasting's, and then proceeded to lunch at Auberge. Following lunch, he took us to Kuleto. Please do not miss this vineyard. It is open by appointment only, and set back about 15 minutes from the road. Believe me when I say that the view alone is worth the winding accent up the mountain, and the wine is exceptional--particularly the Danielli Cabernet. We were running late, but our thoughtful driver Eric offered to stop at "the most beautiful view in Napa," and it certainly was. It was a magical day, in large part, because I was in the company of my lovely daughters, but bravo to Napa Valley Wine Tours for a terrific day, and for sending Eric our way. He is a jewel to the company, and for anyone lucky enough to have him as a driver.

Visited March 2013
Eric prides himself on his knowledge of the boutique wineries and spends his off time looking for the undiscovered. ...and he is a nice guy. We thank you for the magical review, we will reserve Eric for your next trip!
“Wine lovers”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 21, 2013

Fun and friendly tour although our wine which was collected by driver for safe keeping was left at one of the winery's. We were flying out the next day so we weren't able to retrieve this and were in no way compensated for this loss. Was a good trip but were very disappointed not to have the wine to show for it.

Visited January 2013

Review collected in partnership with this attraction

Please contact us and tell us your story. Just maybe we can do something. Thanks for your feedback, it helps!