“Excellent property with staff and amenities to match” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Andaz Napa

Save Saved
You added Andaz Napa to your Saves list
Andaz Napa
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   1450 First Street, Napa, CA 94559-2843 (Formerly AVIA Napa)   |
Hotel deals
Offers & Announcements
Wine Wanderlust
Ranked #2 of 25 hotels in Napa
New York City, New York
“Excellent property with staff and amenities to match”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2013

I stay in upwards of 50 hotels per year and very rarely award any of them 5 stars, but Andaz Napa is more than deserving. The hotel is beautifully decorated to capture the rustic charm of Napa will providing cutting edge amenities like rainfall showers, state-of-the-art iPod docks and more often than note two-TVs per room.

The bathrooms are large and the beds are bigger (California Kings instead of plain old Kings). The lobby is large and spacious - with daily wine tastings (and a free glass when you arrive). Ordered room service one night but never made it to the restaurant. I will see the bar functions as a coffee bar in the AM and the coffee is fantastic.

There is a beautiful roof space where you can enjoy wine from your favorite vineyard during the day (the bar doesn't open until 5PM) or cocktails before dinner in the evening.

Concierge was helpful to arrange transportation and help with some dinner recommendations though we used a private concierge for vineyard tours.

There is no fitness center but full access to a gym next store which isn't the most modern facility in the world but very well-equipped.

Minor issue: we booked 3 months out and they were all out of rooms with two beds, had to go with a king / pull-out sofa. Not a big deal, just something to keep in mind. Also, every room seemed to be pretty different. We had a few (big group) and all but one had a fireplace and the one without it had a balcony. So ask about room type when you book.

All in all, an excellent hotel that maintains the charm of a small B&B / boutique hotel while upholding the customer service standards and luxurious amenities of a chain.

946 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (211)
Stateline, Nevada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2013

I just celebrated my 50th birthday here and it could not have been nicer. We booked the large loft terrace and had a pre-party before going out to dinner. All of my guests were blown away at how beautiful the suite was. In addition, the staff is magnificent. From the time we checked in until we drove away every request we made was fulfilled in a matter of minutes. This is not the cheapest place in Napa, but it is worth every penny for a special occasion. Thank you Andaz!

Egham, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2013

Andaz is the boutique brand of Hyatt and the properties that I have stayed at are all of a high quality with very personal attention. Personally I don't like the lack of a reception and a check in area it can be very disorganised if the hotel is busy checking in lots of people.

We were greeted with a glass of excellent wine and due to staying at Hyatts frequently we had been upgraded to an extra large room. The suite was excellent, on the third floor, overlooking the terrrace bar. We were disappointed that the bar and restaurant are closed Monday and Tuesday as that was when we were staying.

As well as a seating area there was a large bedroom with a tub and a large bathroom with a huge shower. Fridge was well stocked with non alcoholic drinks.

We had breakfast in the Farmers Market. The menu was varied and so we were spoilt for choice. I have to say the service at breakfast was very slow and food took 20-30 minutes to come and getting the cheque was also a struggle.

The free car parking at the rear of the hotel is a real bonus. While the Andaz may be at the quieter end of Napa there is no shortage of bars and restaurants within a short walk.

There is a small business area with a couple of PC's - the first 15 minutes is free but you still have to give a credit card even for the free access.

Overall very good.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Estero, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2013

I checked in to Andaz yesterday and am staying until tomorrow. The experience has been interesting enough to this point that I felt the need to review during my stay.

The hotel is in the center of downtown Napa. You can easily walk to all the downtown restaurants and bars. The exterior is beautiful and welcoming. We pulled up and were greeted right away by a "host" that checked us in on an iPad in the lobby while giving my husband & I each a glass of wine. It was a great experience at first. Then things got complicated...

Now, I realize this part may be a rare scenario, but I still feel the need to share: We had booked the "large loft terrace" room specifically for two reasons: a dual fireplace and a balcony. My husband & I were really looking forward to opening a bottle of wine in the room to enjoy by the fire or on our private balcony. At check-in, I was told I had been upgraded to the "tower suite" room due to my Hyatt status. This seemed great, but when we got to the room: no balcony and no fireplace. It was a lovely room with high ceilings, but it was hard to view it as an upgrade when it didn't even have the amenities of my originally booked room. I called our host and politely asked if I could decline the upgrade and just go to the "large loft terrace" room as planned. He promptly showed up at our room with new keys so we could transfer. We hauled our luggage down two floors to our new room. Again, it had no fireplace and no balcony! At this point, we were not having fun anymore and went to the lobby to deal with it directly (still hauling luggage around). A manager came over and explained that they had oversold our room category and the room we booked was no longer available. She could get us in a room with a fireplace OR a room with a "partial" balcony, but not a room with both. To her credit, she was very nice and apologetic and gave us several comps for our troubles. Unfortunately, it doesn't change the fact that I flew from Florida to California and I'm still not staying in the room I wanted and booked.

Once we settled on the room, I have few complaints. It's a nice hotel, but there are small details that keep it from being a Ritz or a Four Seasons quality. Perfect example: We requested turndown service and I actually laughed when I saw it. They did nothing to the bed itself. The only reason I knew someone had even been in our room was because they haphazardly shut our blackout shades a bit. I really hope that's not what they normally call turndown service.

Bottomline: Odds are you will have a nice experience here. Just keep in mind it's still a Hyatt and not a 5-star resort. And hope they don't overbook!

Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 8, 2013

We stayed here for only one night and I wish we could have stayed more. We were given an upgrade (you can indicate that you'd like this on their website booking page for a small fee) and were delighted with our room/loft. Great view and there was a huge white bath tub in the bedroom (IN the room, beside the bed), beautiful bathroom with contemporary fixtures. We were offered a complimentary glass of wine when we checked in - nice touch. Had drinks on the 2nd floor terrace with open fire pit (is gas) in the evening - great! We had a fantastic breakfast in the hotel. Really enjoyed our stay here and would definitely come back.

Room Tip: They are all good.
Temple, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2013

Wow! We went on our honeymoon to Napa and heard great things about Andaz so we decided to stay there for our 4 day trip. As you might read the lobby is different from most hotels and is contemporary with it's check-in which is really cool. What impressed us the most was the friendless of the staff. We got our choice of wine and were checked in promptly. We were upgraded to the Large Loft room because it was our honeymoon which was very nice of them. To even go more above and beyond they gave us a coupon for 2 free glasses of bubbly at their bar. We were blown away by how they made our honeymoon so special. The room was amazing with a large bathroom, tub in the room and fireplace. We loved the free non-alcoholic drinks in the refrigerator that were replenished each morning when housekeeping came by. The terrace bar was closed on Monday and Tuesday but on Wednesday we went out to the fire pits and heard some great live music. If you get the chance go out there because it's a great atmosphere. Overall our stay here was amazing! The friendliness of the employees that remembered us and greeted us every time we left and came back. We are a younger couple and have had trouble before with places not treating us with respect as customers because we are so young, this was not the case here and the hotel was very friendly to a couple of novice travelers.

Piermont, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2013

The hotel was wonderful. While the city of Napa would not be my first choice in the area, the Andaz makes up for it. Clean, comfortable, modern and a staff that is overly accommodating. We would definitely say there again.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends

Been to Andaz Napa? Share your experiences!