“Quiet, Sprawling and a Good Deal” 4 of 5 stars

Silverado Resort and Spa
4.0 of 5 Resort   |   1600 Atlas Peak Rd., Napa, CA 94558   |
Ranked #18 of 25 hotels in Napa
Baltimore
“Quiet, Sprawling and a Good Deal”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 29, 2013

I extended a 3 day business meeting at the resort and my wife met me for a week of fun and sun and wine and dine in Napa. We chose to stay here because of the convenience and the fact that they extended our meeting rate ($169 per night; though after taxes and a $20 resort fee the bill was more like $230 per). Compared to other other places we looked at (mainly B&B's) in Napa, Silverado's price was a fraction of some of the prices we saw.

There is no doubt that this resort is a bit dated. Lots of peeling paint outside the buildings and quite a few spiderwebs on the railings. Our king bed room had a tiny bathroom, though the shower was addictive. The air conditioner was rather loud, but the "white noise" it generated drowned out the dog (in the backyard of a house across from the property) that started barking before sunrise along with the TV from our neighbor's room.

Our only other complaint is that the place was a bit dead. We hardly ever saw other people around. When we chose to spend a couple hours at the pool on an 85 degree day, we were literally the only ones there. We walked by the Grille one evening at around 8PM and there were only 2 or 3 people there. While daydreaming at my meeting that overlooked the golf course, we would see a foursome go by about once per hour.

That said, this place did a great job with service. We came to Thomas, the concierge, one day for some advice and he perfectly mapped our entire day, right down to making the reservation for a great restaurant (Angele) that we would never have chosen on our own. Additional props go to Lian, who opened the snack bar at the spa one morning after our workout to make us fresh smoothies. We expect that the snack bar was closed for lack of potential customers and we had our hearts set on post-hike fresh fruit smoothies. Lian came through bigtime. It is these 2 examples of great service that make a good resort into a great stay. I would rather have great service with average amenities than the other way around.

By the way, I did play the North Course and it was quite impressive, though the rough was ROUGH. The tennis courts looked nice and were about the only place where we saw any action going on. We had one breakfast in the grille and it was fine.

Room Tip: We did not see any of the larger rooms, but from other's comments, they might be worth the splur...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
John E, General Manager at Silverado Resort and Spa, responded to this review, April 30, 2013
Thank you so much for posting a review about your recent stay with us. I was glad to read that you and your wife had the opportunity to extend your visit after your meeting. I was especially glad to read about your experience with both Thomas at our Concierge Desk and Lian at our Spa. Our goal here is to exceed our guest's expectations and we were happy we were able to do that for you. We will let them both know of your comments.

As you may have read previously, we are in the middle of a major room renovation here at the Resort, in which things like air conditioning and bathrooms will be updated to a more modern look. We are also sprucing up other areas around the Resort, like painting the entire mansion as well. We would love to have both you and your wife back to the Resort during our summer months as we normally have a full house and lots of people taking advantage of the pools and restaurants on property.

We hope to see you both back soon!

823 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (262)
Park City, Utah
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 29, 2013

Was a great spot until we woke up and found ants EVERYWHERE in the room. I called the front desk and they said they'd send someone while we were out at the pool. Upon our return the ants we mostly cleaned up but a few still running around. Upon checkout no mention was made of the incident (how would you feel to a bed full of ants when you wake up??) and an apology was never even extended. Possibly a common occurrence? Other than that the pool was nice and the room was well appointed and suited our needs. Staff was generally smiling and kind, if not overly attentive or empathetic.

• Stayed April 2013
Thanks for your comments and letting us know about your recent experience. I am very sorry to hear that your visit was ruined by ants in your room and that you received no apology for the inconvenience. We will have our Housekeeping team inspect the room again to make sure there are no more issues with the ants and I will follow up with my team to make sure challenges such as these are handled differently in the future. I appreciate you bringing it to our attention.

I do sincerely hope that the next time you are in the Napa Valley that you will visit us again and give us another opportunity. Thanks again for your review.
Campbell, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 29, 2013

Gotta spend some time to check into the Spa & play a little golf! Weekday was very nice and quite on the grounds, travel from the bay area was best to head up after traffic (7 p.m.)

Conference space was nice in the Mansion faciliyt and meals on the patio overlooking the golf course made the event very enjoyable.

Room Tip: Weekdays were very quiet, I had a single room attached to a suite -- some noise from the neighbors s...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Thank you very much for your review regarding your recent stay. I was glad to read that you enjoyed your visit and we hope to see you back at the Resort in the near future.
San Francisco, CA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 28, 2013

This resort is incredible. We love this spot.

Beautiful views, golf course, swimming pools, and tennis courts. We've been here many times (my wife has an annual medical conference so this was our third time here). So this review is long overdue. But what set it apart for us on our most recent trip was the excellent customer service. Nick in reception went above and beyond to give us a great service. The hotel happened to be oversold when we arrived but he went above and beyond (making calls, talking to his manager) to not just get us a room but to give us an excellent kid-friendly room (we were travelling with our 16-month old toddler). He was just also super friendly and helpful with other directions for Napa. Thanks Nick - its great service like this that will keep us coming back time and again. And super nice touches like free lemonade and tasty fruit water in the lobby put this gem over the top for us. Good friend in the hotel too.

Keep up the great hospitality & service, Silverado. Our family can't wait to come back (and we hope to be back later this summer)!

Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Thank you very much for your kind words! I was so glad to read that you once again had the chance to return to Silverado Resort and Spa. We appreciate that you continue to return. The item that stood out the most to me in your review was those comments about Nick at our Front Desk. I was happy to read that he went over and above for you and that your expectations were exceeded. We will be sure to let Nick know of your nice comments as I am sure he will be very pleased.

We hope to see you and your family back for a visit this summer!
SF
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 26, 2013

Jacob and Katie were fantastic tennis pros. My 6 and 4 year old children had a ton of fun in lessons with Katie every single day of our vacation. I also had several excellent lessons with Jacob. He was very adept at breaking down the fundamentals in a way where I could understand how to apply the changes he suggested. There are tons of courts, all in excellent condition. Water was set out daily next to each court and there were covered platforms to sit on between the courts to watch my kids during their lessons. I would go back for the tennis in a heartbeat.
Most of the Silverado guest rooms are very outdated at the moment (April 2013). However, the resort is in the midst of a major overall. There was construction going on all around our unit. We saw one of the re-modeled rooms and it was beautiful.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
We appreciate your review of your recent stay with us and were glad to hear you had a fun time with Jacob and Katie over in our Tennis Department! Both are excellent instructors and continue to receive rave reviews from guests.

I was glad you had the opportunity to take a look at one of our newly remodeled rooms. We think they are beautiful too! We hope to see you back at the Resort soon!
Atlanta, Georgia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 24, 2013

In peaceful Napa Valley, lovely landscaping, world class golf course, fresh California cuisine. Old world charm and good customer service. Stayed in one of the condos with a 1980s feel and decor but very comfortable, clean and pleasant. Nice courtyard and view off of the condo. A bit of a hike to the mansion, but facility will pick you up in a golf cart and transport you if you need it. We have a conference room rate, so at $189 per night plus the resort fee, it is reasonable. However, if you are paying a lot more for the room, you may be disappointed. Only real challenge has been the free internet, which can be sporadic at times. If you must have a reliable internet connection, consider bringing your own hot spot.

Room Tip: Try to avoid a condo on the road. It can be noisy in the morning but is quiet at night.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Thank you for posting a review. I really appreciate you taking the time to let us know about your recent experience. We were glad to read you enjoyed your visit with us. I do apologize that you had trouble with connecting to the internet and will look into why this was happening immediately. Thanks for letting us know.

We will look forward to welcoming you back to the Resort in the future.
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 20, 2013 via mobile

First off, if you read my reviews here, you know I generally put very little effort into my writing and while my ratings and opinions are legitimate, I tend to live on the sarcastic side.

However I am so irritated by this "resort," I am writing a non sarcastic review.

I stay in more hotel rooms than I can count every year, so it's also notable when I write a review about a hotel instead of a restaurant.

I am staying here now and I hate this place. I feel angry and ripped off. We were stuck in some goofy low rent condo like building where the pool we had to pay a $20 a night fee was out of service. The room itself smells musty and the bathroom floor is kind of gross.

In a $300 room I expect decent coffee in the room, fast wifi, spotless cleanliness, functioning amenities, and the feeling my money is well spent.

Unless you are a golf junkie, you can do way better than this in wine country.

• Stayed April 2013
Thank you very much for your comments. We were certainly disappointed in reading that your stay was not all it could have been and we do apologize that your experience was not what you had hoped it would be. I can understand your frustration and will make sure that your review is shared with the rest of our team so we can improve for the next time.

While we did not do a great job with your first impression of us, I am confident we could do a much better job in the future and would welcome the opportunity to have you back again. Thank you again for your feedback.

Been to Silverado Resort and Spa? Share your experiences!