“Old fashioned service in a great location” 5 of 5 stars

You added Silverado Resort and Spa to your Saves list
Silverado Resort and Spa
4.0 of 5 Resort   |   1600 Atlas Peak Rd., Napa, CA 94558   |
Ranked #19 of 27 Hotels in Napa
“Old fashioned service in a great location”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 2, 2012 via mobile

Our family of 5 stayed one night at Silverado during our 3 week California vacation this August. Our purpose in Napa was to bicycle amongst the vines, which we have previously done in Pessac, Paulliac, Burgundy, and Chianti, and to celebrate my daughters 16th Birthday at Thomas Kellers classic bistro Bouchon. It was a night to remember. Next morning we left for Lake Tahoe but my daughter forgot her presents and cards in a box in one of the hotel rooms. After some to and fro, they sent it all the way to our home in Norway. Any hotel that does is a place I can recommend. The rooms are a bit run down, but fear not. By late this year they will all have been totally redone and then the whole package will be as good as the location and service.

• Stayed August 2012
LegendaryNapa, General Manager at Silverado Resort and Spa, responded to this review, October 19, 2012
I was delighted to hear that you chose us as the place to stay to celebrate your daughter's 16th birthday. From your review, it sounds as though she had a very enjoyable birthday and we were glad you were able to bicycle throughout the Napa Valley. Your kind words are very appreciated and we will look forward to your return (all the way from Norway!) in the near future.

Thank you for your review!

Warm Regards,

John Evans

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (301)
Aliso Viejo, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 28, 2012

I was up in Napa with some friends for some wine tasting and had a wonderful time. I booked us some rooms at the Silverado Resort since they had better rates than other four star rated hotels in Napa Valley. So value I would rate it okay. However, my expectations of a four star resort exceed what this hotel was able to provide.

The hotel is made up of timeshare based property, I knew I was in for some fun when the front door of the room was an older metal sliding glass door. The room was adequate and the television was buzzy and not clear. My biggest complaint with the room was the curtains, or rather lack of quality curtains. They are standard curtains and not hotel blackout curtains, so don't expect to sleep in when the sun comes blaring into your window. The sliding glass doors are not double paned and allow every sound to come drifting into your room.

I had breakfast at the Silverado Grill and quite simply was horrible service. I had to ask for coffee three times before I actually received any. Food was okay, nothing special but at least prices were fair.

I would not recommend or stay at this hotel again. The golf course did look beautiful but didn't play. Was there for the wine and not the sports.

Room Tip: Request a golf course view and an upstairs unit.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Cedar City, Utah
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 26, 2012

For some years now, probably since about 1999, we have been regular guests of the Silverado Resort at least once or twice a year and in the last couple of years we have noticed a real decline in the hospitality staff and the resort itself. Last October we brought another couple with us to Napa for some Wine tasting and to enjoy a weekend visit together. We had told them of the wonderful veranda overlooking the 18th hole and how nice it was to sit and enjoy the view. unfortunatley we were not allowed that option, they had booked a private party on the veranda and the only other option was to sit on the front porch as people were checking in and view all the chaos at the bell desk.
Again my husband visited the resort this May with a few friends to play in the Johnny Miller Golf Tournament. They had nothing but problems with their room arrangements, and the billing disaster that lasted for weeks after he was there and the time he had to take to make sure they got it cleared up was just the topping on the cake.
So we gave it one last chance and again went this September with my father and brother who have never been to Napa Valley. Well we booked well in advance and had some room requests nothing to outragous, you know one room with a king and one with 2 double beds... They believed with the amount of time there should be some openings to get the room with 2 double beds. Who would have thought that a resort that big could not get that right. Well check in was embarrasing having to tell my dad and brother they had to share a bed! Then when we asked the front desk clerk if the rooms were at least near each other, she replied somewhat. One side of the resort from the other is not exactly somewhat. They refused to find anything near together, and could only reply they were over booked and had some contract groups in and we were welcomed to leave and not check in and go somewhere else. Friday night in Napa Valley at high season, doubtful. That would probably have helped their overbooked problem. So to make the best of things we tried to enjoy the rest of the property and out time together. How about dinner and a bottle of wine on the Veranda.... well half way through dinner we were told we had to leave the veranda they had a private party coming in....
Well we are done! They only want to cater to groups or contract conventions and not to individual travelers, so be very aware.
The rooms are old and out dated... the only money being spent seems to be on the course....And T.J. the front desk manager, needs a little help in the customer service field.... Definitely would not recommend this property to any friends or enemies....

Room Tip: Try another property, newer something from this century.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
Pearl City, Hawaii
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 26, 2012

For years, I had heard of Silverado Resort and it was on both my wife and my bucket list. Was so excited when we got there. Then the terrible experience started when we arrived at the 4 pm check in time, only to be told that our room was not ready. We waited in the bar for over half an hour and only after my wife badgered the front desk did we get a room.

Now the room, it was OLD! Like walking into a time warp. Brown shag carpet from the 70s, a TV that was exactly the same model as my own bedroom TV that I donated to Salvation Army, watched snow on every TV channel, read under a broken nightstand lamp bulb, cooled by an air conditioner that only worked on high, tried to charge my cellphone on an electric outlet that didn't work, wanted some wine for sale in their mini bar but couldn't find a wine opener.....

Totally disappointed! No comparison to the ambience and service to Pebble Beach, Mauna Kea Resort, La Quinta in Palm Springs.etc.

As for the golf shop, they need a merchandising manager that has heard of at least Under Armor, Adidas, and Nike. I was ready to buy at least logo golf shirts for my wife and myself, but only found dated golf merchandise. Walked out empty handed. Am a very avid golfer, but after this experience, had no desire to play either golf course.

If you desire a remote resort, this is it. The wineries and restaurants that we visited were at least 15 miles away. Try driving back to the resort after eating dinner and drinking a bottle of Cabernet without any highway streetlights or resort signs.

Burst our bubble! Can't recommend to any of my friends.

Room Tip: Request a room close to the parking lot otherwise to expect to walk at least a quarter mile to your...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 25, 2012

Over the past 2 years I have stayed here four times for work conferences. I will say right away that the conference facility was great and that the food service -- both the actual food and the service -- was really excellent. So as far as a place to have a conference it was really good and I would recommend it.

As far as the rest of the resort, the rooms are very clean but I certainly wouldn't pay resort prices for them. On the main campus there are so many lights that I couldn't sleep in one room because it was just as bright at midnight as it is during the day. For one meeting, they put me out at "the cottages" which is a bit of a walk and even though I was told it was fine to not have a car, the shuttle service took 15 minutes to pick me up. I was also rarely impressed by the front desk staff. The rooms usually weren't ready on time and when I asked for help with specific things the staff was courteous but not really helpful.

The spa is very nice but at $25 for a day pass when I just wanted to use the lap pool it was another thing that didn't add up as far as customer service. But the spa was really nice if you were going to use it all day. And the golf courses and tennis courts, which I didn't have any time to use, did look really well maintained. The setting itself is also beautiful.

I would not take my family there for a stay but I would on the whole recommend it to employers who need conference space.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
Campbell, California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 25, 2012

I had stayed at the Silverado Resort before but, it was years ago. When we had friends that wanted to go up to the wine country, I felt very confident in booking at the Silverado. BIG mistake, I should have read the reviews. Check in was 4:00 pm and we got there at 4:30. One room was ready and the other was not, but said it would be about 20 more minutes. The desk told they to go to our room and they would bring the keys when it was ready. When we checked in, I asked for an upgraded room and they said they were fully booked that night. After a drive from the bay area and wine tasting all day, we were ready for our room to relax. Over an hour and a half later, our friends called the desk and they said, yes, your room is ready, come get the keys. After telling them, the deal was to bring them to the room, they finally did. When we got into our box (the room), we noticed their was a mini bar and at check in we were not even asked if we would like a key. Our friend had noticed other people checking in had been asked. I asked for a map of the hotel and they sort of waved their hand and said the bell valets would show us our room. They were not the front desk that wants to make sure you have a wonderful stay. Our room was very disappointing, it is basically the 2nd bedroom of a 2 bedroom suite. You enter through a slider and there are no other windows, except for a window if the bathroom. There is no ventilation in the room, not even a fan and you can not sleep with the slider open. Your only choice is to leave the nosiy air conditioner on all night. The drapes over the slider are so thin and dirty, it was like trying to sleep during the day time as there were so many lights outside. Great for the pathways, not so great for the room. The TV reception was terrible. The toilet seat was chipped in two places, so it looked dirty. You just didn't even want to use it. Upon checking out, I tried to use the TV to check out like most places and couldn't. I called the front desk and ask them if I could check out over the phone, and they said I had to come in the lobby to do so. So I had to go in and wait in line to check out. It amazed me that their were people hecking in at 10 in the morning and getting keys. Checkout was 11, check in was 4. Obviously they were not full, like I was told and had people coming in for early checkins. When I finally got my turn to check out, I was not even asked, "How was your stay", not even told have a nice day or thanks for staying with us. The housekeepers carts are all over the paths when you try to walk around. They just park them. When the bellman was trying to get us to our room, he had to try 4 different ways as the maid just block everything. He finally got us close, but we still had to walk a bit. Postives are we got a paper in the am and the bellman were very nice. Will never stay here again, nor reccommend others.

Room Tip: I do not know of any good rooms.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
LegendaryNapa, Manager at Silverado Resort and Spa, responded to this review, September 26, 2012
Thank you for staying with us and we do appreciate that you took the time to let us know about your experience.

We are so sorry to hear that your stay with us was anything but pleasant. I can certainly understand your frustration with the challenges you had with our Front Desk team. Your comments have been given to their manager who will address those issues directly with them.

You were correct in stating that your resort guestroom was the second bedroom of a two bedroom suite and is a much smaller room than our one-bedroom suites. While the resort guestrooms are more affordable, the one-bedroom suites do offer more spacious accommodations, including a full size kitchen, living room and separate bedroom area.

Thanks again for letting us know about your stay with us.
New Orleans, Louisiana
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2012

Sorry I can't gush over this resort but that still doesn't take away from its good points and hence the title and rating of this review. Food was excellent. Good, attentive service all around. Gym and spa are good but located across the road from the resort complex, slightly inconvenient. Didn't golf but the courses and grounds looked picturesque and well maintained. The resort accommodations,decor, kitchenettes while spacious and comfortable do indeed have the 70s dated look as another reviewer noted. Old world charm shall we say! Close to Napa wineries and wine tasting but not close to town. Seems family and budget friendly.

Room Tip: Get a ground floor unit if you have luggage. No elevators.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
LegendaryNapa, Manager at Silverado Resort and Spa, responded to this review, September 27, 2012
Thanks for staying with us! It was great to hear that you enjoyed the food and the service provided by our associates.

We are doing our very best to start renovating the rooms here on property, but please understand that it will take some time. We know that the wait will be worth it in the end, as our guests will love what our new guest rooms will look like.

We hope to see you again soon!

Been to Silverado Resort and Spa? Share your experiences!