“Wine in 2009!” 5 of 5 stars

GreenLeadersBronze level
Franklin TN
“Wine in 2009!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 25, 2009

As a Starwod Owners, we have had the benefit of staying at some excellent properties.
From the standpoint of service to guests, this one rates one of the highest. From the concierge to the valets and housekeeping, the staff was incredibly attentive. For those who plan to visit both Napa and Sonoma vineyards, this hotel is well situated. The amenities are to be expected from this level hotel. My wife & I were here to relax, enjoy excellent food and wine, couldn't ask for more - quiet room overlooking the Napa River with the beauty of Sonoma and Napa Valleys just down the road. Enjoy!

• Stayed October 2009, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (196)
Ottawa, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 18, 2009

If you are looking for a place to stay in Napa this is it! Great location and a very comfortable place to stay with a beautiful pool and an excellent restaurant , would definitely return if in the area again.

Bay Area
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 12, 2009

Finally, a decent Starwood property in the Napa area close to Oxbow Public Market and Napa Wine Train.
The suites are fabulous with 2 bathrooms & 2 showers. Flat screen TVs.
Have fitness center and nice restaurant (e.g., Sunday brunch $25).
Friendly and helpful service! Pet friendly.
3 and 5 mile walking/jogging paths from hotel.
Get free or discounted wine tasting coupons from concierge.
$20 amenity charge for valet parking, gym, etc.

Stayed October 2009, traveled as a couple
Denver
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 9, 2009

I have been a platinum member of Starwoods for 8 years and am a huge fan of the brand. This is the first negative review of a hotel I have ever posted. The bad service at the Westin Napa started upon arrival. There was a person to take the keys for the car, but not to help with the bags. (He made it very clear that he would take and park the car, but we were on our own with the bags.) After hauling the bags out of the car and up the 6 or so stairs, I expected the lobby to be full given the lack of help outside. It was not. I was "upgraded" to a room with a "lovely" view of a parking lot. I should have asked for a different room immediately. We went down to the bar to order a bottle of wine and appetizer. They did not have any cold bottles, so we had to wait for 10 mnutes or so for a warm bottle of white wine to arrive. Appetizers were self serve. I guess that is a good thing--because one did not have to wait. They did not have an ice bucket for the white wine, so they put it in ice behind the bar. Despite the fact that we were sitting at the bar, refills from our wine bottle were hard to come by. We decided to head up to the room with the remaining wine in our glasses and bottle. They wanted the glasses back--because housekeeping steals them. Oh, you are automatically charged a service charge on all services of 15 to 20% at the hotel--even for poor service.

Dinner in the hotel restaurant was good. The conceirege was rarely "on duty," so it is an easy choice to eat at the hotel.

I worked most of the next day and had no problems with the internet--as others have suggested. The door to the patio did not lock, so I called to get it fixed. Despite 2 calls during a 2 day stay, it was never fixed.

My second evening, I went down to the bar for a bottle of wine--to take up to the room with no glasses. : ) After charging the 15% service charge for handing me a bottle of wine and after I interrupted a long conversation between 2 employees on a personal matter to get said bottle, the bartender was not happy when I asked that he open the bottle. He explained that there was an opener in the room I could use.

The last day I went to the pool. It was nice, but despite a good crowd, everyone had to go inside and wait at the bar for food or beverages. Of course, all were charged service charges as if the food had been delivered.

The starwood platinum benefits were not honored, and management was flat out rude when I called to inquire why. It was apparent they do not understand the rewards programs, and it was not worth the time and energy to deal with them.

The room was nice and the location fine. However, the service was so bad (I could go on with other examples) that I will never return. I can be treated rudely or ignored at a lot nicer hotels!

• Stayed October 2009, traveled as a couple
Seattle, Washington
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2009

Me, my husband and my 11 year old stayed there during our trip to San Francisco and Napa Valley. The hotel is fairly new, modern and elegant.. We stayed in a one bedroom unit. The furnishing is tastefully decorated. The heavenly bed, we have to say we never had such a good sleep in any hotel like that. We also like the bathroom, very spacious, spa like color and decor, with nice shower heads, and very nice bath products. The color, smell and sense of the room just gave us a very calm, relax and zen feel.

We also like the amenities offer by the hotel, the pool and the whirlpool. We didn't have time to use the exercise room, but we passed by it everyday and always saw it very well used by many hotel guests. The exercise room seems quite well equipped. The hotel also provided xbox which my 11 year old son loves it.

We wished we have tried the restaurant of the hotel, as we saw it was quite full the 3 nights that we stayed there. But we have to split our 3 nights dinners between San Francisco and Napa and there were so many choices when I researched before the trip, so I completely overlooked the in hotel restaurant.

We don't have a lot of comments regarding the service because we hardly need anything from the service staff.

Overall, we're quite happy with this Westin. We have never stayed in Westin before, but after this try, I think we will always check out Westin in our future trip planning.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled with family
San Francisco
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2009

My boyfriend and I stayed at the Westin Napa in September with a free night earned as part of the SPG program (just had to pay the resort fee that covers parking and wifi). My experience here was comparatively terrible probably because I had just stayed at some great SPG properties down in southern California (US Grant in San Diego and St. Regis Monarch Beach), but I don't think my expectations were out of line since the regular prices for these properties are comparable.

We tried to check in at 3pm (pretty standard), but were told to come back in an hour as the room was still being cleaned. That's fine - we checked out the Oxbow market right down the street and had a great time and ate some really delicious treats. About 4:30, it started drizzling so we walked back to the hotel, the room was still not ready. We sat around for a bit but decided to take another room (not the same room type) since it was raining and we just wanted to settle in. By the time we got to our room it was already after 5pm.

The room was nice enough - clean, large, kitchenette, separate bedroom. The two stars are for the room. Sadly, we only had a view of the parking lot of the hotel next door.

In the morning, I checked the statement for our stay and it turns out they had charged us ~$90 extra. I called the front desk to settle this. They said it would be taken care of, and would deposit 2000 extra points in my SPG account for all the trouble (late check-in, error with the statement, room type not what I was supposed to get). None of this was done--my credit card statement still showed the extra charge, and my SPG account were not updated with the points. I called two weeks later and they had me leave a voicemail for someone who supposedly takes care of this stuff. I did. A week later, it still wasn't taken care of, and no one had returned my call. On my third try calling the hotel (three weeks later), I finally had someone work through it with me on the phone. The charge has been updated on my credit card, but the points still have not posted. I've wasted more time and energy on this hotel than on any other travel arrangements I've ever made, even internationally.

I wasn't able to enjoy my experience during my stay OR even to try to think of any part of it fondly. Though it was just a free night that was used up, I still feel cheated. There's no way I would ever pay regular price for a night here! I might as well try to find a cheap motel to stay in, or stay at River Terrace Inn next doors (free continental breakfast, DVDs to rent out, check-in easy and on-time).

In summary: it's not worth the price tag! But definitely stop by Oxbow Market next doors!

Boston, Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 7, 2009

My wife and I stayed at the Westin Verasa in September '09. We had a great time. I would definitely recommend this hotel. We live in downtown Boston, so when I say the room was bigger then our condo, I'm not exaggerating (we'll almost), but we were in a fantastic suite, with a full kitchen, dining room, living room, bedroom and private deck. I saw a very reasonable rate on Hotels.com and the Westin matched it. Definitely check that out. I've read some of the reviews and the location isn't bad. You can walk to downtown Napa for several restaurants and bars. You can walk to the wine train. In Napa, you need a car or transportation for the wineries any way, so I honestly think the location is fine. The hotel is also brand new. It just opened in late 2008. The hotel has two nice restaurants, a bar, very nice pool area and some fun bocce courts out back! We enjoyed the Westin Verasa, found the staff very nice and would highly recommend it.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled as a couple

Been to The Westin Verasa Napa? Share your experiences!