“Very nice hotel in Napa” 5 of 5 stars

Complimentary Breakfast
Ranked #9 of 25 hotels in Napa
GreenLeadersBronze level
Davis, CA
“Very nice hotel in Napa”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 17, 2009

We haven't stayed in a Westin in quite a while, so we cannot compare this location to other Westins but I overall we had a very good - excellent stay. We stayed primarily for a romantic weekend night in Napa and the atmosphere and feel of the hotel was very Napa - incorporating natural colors, textures, and wood / stone to the lobby and the room. We stayed in a Deluxe room which to our surprise was a well-stocked kitchenette including stovetop ( 2 "burners" I think), microwave, refrigerator, dishwasher, and some kitchen cookware and kitchenware. The bathroom was nicely sized with a dual head shower. And our view of the courtyard was pleasant and quiet. Front staff check-in and checkout was efficient and cheerful.
The onsite restaurant, LA TOQUE, is FABULOUS! And hands down the best dining experience and food we have EVER had so it was great that we didn't have to leave the resort to go for dinner. It is pricey, but we thought worth it.
Two issues we noted were: 1. We don't think there is much to do in terms of where the hotel is located - I think Oxbow Public Market and the Napa Wine Train Station are close, but I didn't really see much surrounding the hotel itself. 2. The $20 / day resort fee is a nuisance. I don't understand why this continues to be a trend at hotels that are "resorts." It covers valet parking, the use of their exercise facilities (which we didn't check out), and bocce ball. Of the resort fee, we only took advantage of the mandatory valet parking (no self parking).

• Stayed March 2009, traveled as a couple

799 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (174)
phoenix, az
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 12, 2009

We stayed for a 4 day weekend and I will say that the hotel is quite nice and the rates are reasonable. The hotel seemed quite understaffed. The valet guy also brought up our bags when we checked in. Half the times I went out to retrieve my car, there was no one in sight. They lost the keys to our rental car for almost 24 hours. When I checked out, the final bill showed a restaurant charge that someone had falsely charged to our room. I went to the front desk to talk to Christopher the front desk manager and told him I had never eaten at the restaurant during my stay. Well he made me wait at the front desk and had the restaurant pull the receipts from their books to show them to me. Did he think my signature would magically appear on those receipts? They finally agreed to remove the charges but when I got home and checked my credit card bill, they never credited the amount in dispute, so I had to call my credit card company. I usually stay at 5 star hotels and the difference is when a place like the St Regis makes a mistake, they not only apologize profusely but they try to make it up to you somehow. A simple sincere apology can go a long way...the front desk manager at the Napa was quite indifferent. Perhaps he should be parking the cars and the valet guy should be in charge of the front desk because he was alot friendlier and more accommodating than Christopher.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled with family
San Francisco
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 10, 2009

The only reason this gets any stars at all is that after 2 hours, Eugene (the security manager) finally gave us a room that was acceptable...and by acceptable, I mean a room with 2 beds, since that's what we had originally booked.

My friends and I came here for my 25th birthday party. Given the current economy and the off-season, we thought we paid enough (over $200) for a standard room with two beds. Upon checking in, we were informed that we had been "upgraded" to a room with one king-sized bed--for four adults!--because our original room had been given away. We requested to be booked in our original room, and asked for the Manger on Duty, Antonello, who subsequently refused our request. When we said that we didn't want the upgrade, he became visibly upset and informed us that if we wanted a second bed, we should book a second room at our own expense. He insisted that every single room in the hotel with more than one bed was booked, and that at 97% capacity he could only book us an extra room at our cost.

We should also note that the Westin gave away our original room with two beds, and Antonello defended this by saying that the reservation was only made for 2 adults. We had put four adults on the reservation, but even so--we pointed out that there would be several occasions on which two adults would want to sleep separately. Antonello simply responded, "that would be their problem."

The manager seemed completely unconcerned that with one bed, two girls would be left to fend for themselves on the couch and the floor, despite the fact that one girl in our party was sick. When we brought this up, Antonello sarcastically suggested that we could book the second room on his credit card.

Antonello repeatedly lied to us, saying there was nothing he could do until the Security Manager, upon seeing us make a scene in the main lobby, started to book us a superior room with two beds the instant we described the problem. It took us several hours to get to Eugene, who was the first person to treat us like customers, at which point we FINALLY got a room akin to what we had originally reserved. Given that it was already 11:30 P.M, it was clear the room wouldn't have been sold otherwise. It felt demeaning that we had to make a scene to get a room with two beds as originally ordered.

The hospitality industry is one that is sensitive, particularly in this type of economy. It didn't seem like it would even remotely be an issue to be accommodated with a second bed (when a second room was entirely unoccupied) after 11:30 at night. We were astounded that the management argued with us, after giving away our original room, and we were appalled. Despite the quality of the room we were given in the end, we would not stay here again to deal with the hotel staff.

Don Shindle, you should be ashamed; with management like this, it's no wonder this was the only hotel with vacancy the weekend of the Napa Marathon.

NOTE: there is also a $20 mandatory resort fee for parking, spa use, and internet. Revenue enhancement to the nth.

• Stayed February 2009, traveled with friends
Bay Area
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 3, 2009

Good location if you want to check out Oxbox Market, do some wine tasting downtown and (recommend) eat at the new much acclaimed Ubuntu. They opened recently but service was poor, especially checking in and out. Valet lost our ticket and it took twenty five minutes to get our car.

• Stayed February 2009, traveled as a couple

Been to The Westin Verasa Napa? Share your experiences!