“Perfect end to our honeymoon” 4 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Breakfast for 2 Included
Ranked #9 of 27 Hotels in Napa
GreenLeadersBronze level
“Perfect end to our honeymoon”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 18, 2013

We stayed at the Verasa to finish off our honeymoon. It was perfect. We had a bottle of (very nice) champagne waiting for us in our room with a card signed by all the staff. We got a choice of rooms when we arrived but opted to go for the one on the ground floor overlooking the bocca court as it was quieter and the wifi was stronger. The location is fantastic. It's 10 minutes into Napa, 5 minutes from the market and opposite the wine train. The pool was great, plenty of space and cabana style beds if you wanted a bit of shade. The wine tastings were fab and a nice way to start your evening. The only downside is having to pay an extra $10 a day for wifi and parking. For an expensive hotel, it should be included.

Room Tip: Get a room on the ground floor for better wifi
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
WestinNapa_CA, Manager at The Westin Verasa Napa, responded to this review, September 8, 2013
Lisa H:

Thank you for the great review and congratulations on your marriage. We love to surprise our newlywed guests with a little treat of Schramsberg to start their stay and I’m glad you were able to enjoy. Although most people prefer to not be on the ground floor, in our property it’s my favorite area. Not only is it typically quieter and more comfortable but the rooms have 13 ft ceilings which makes them feel much more open and spacious.

We hope that you have a chance to come back and see us again soon and have a great rest of your Summer.

Service Express Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (186)
American Canyon, California, Usa
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2013

Upon arriving there was a lovely wine tasting from a tiny, family owned winery called Kasten Family Wines. The wines and the setting were superb. Before going to my room, I had an appetizer a a glass of Kasten wine at the lobby bar. The staff was friendly and helpful with suggestions for my busy two day trip. The room was elegant and quiet and the service is first rate.

Green Features: Excellent. The organic food options and attention to energy use was appreciated.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
Susan S:

Thank you for the great review and our Unwind Ritual each evening is a great way to start a trip with a small bite and a little taste of one of our local vintners, Kasten is a great one.

We’ll hope to see you back soon and please enjoy the rest of your summer.

New Jersey
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2013

My wife and I stayed for a couple of nights earlier this week while in Napa. The Westin is in a great location, and we stayed once before and had a good experience. This time was good too, just not as good as the last time. We checked in, and were given a room that had a balcony overlooking the very noisy air condenser units. We couldn't hear ourselves talk to each other, it was so loud. We probably could have lived with that, but we quickly noticed that the central air in our room wasn't working. The staff quickly tried to fix it, but it took a few hours and when we returned to the room, it still wasn't working. We asked to be moved to another similar room at around 9:30 and by 10:30 were relocated to a much better room with a quiet balcony. So, we did have a few problems, including a locked safe from the previous user, but all worked out ok, and the staff did a nice job accommodating us. I really like the Westin, very modern hotel with big rooms, private bedrooms in most rooms, and great town location just down the street from the Oxbow market, and across the bridge from downtown Napa, all within walking distance. It's a really good place to stay while in Napa.

Room Tip: Unless I missed it, there's no "general store' on property so plan to stock up on thing...
FreeholdNewJersey:

Thank you for the good review and I’m sorry for the various issues you experienced along the way. It sounds like the trip started out a little rough but in the end things were able to be resolved. I’m glad that in the end we were able to make the necessary adjustments and our staff was able to make sure everything was resolved to your satisfaction.

Please feel free to let us know if there are any future plans on visiting us in the Napa Valley and I will guarantee you a much more relaxing and rejuvenating return visit.

North Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2013 via mobile

My family and I checked in for a few days to celebrate my and my sisters 40th. We reserved a double king suite and couldn't have been more pleased. The location, rooms, staff and overall ambience made our stay fantastic. Their wine tastings from 5-7 are a nice touch and we enjoyed one fresh breakfast in the hotel.

Our suite was perfect for enjoying a relaxing evening drinking wine and enjoying apps in our room. Well worth the money.

I'd highly recommend and think the valets were fantastic and welcoming!

• Stayed August 2013
JHecht712:

Thank you for the awesome review and for choosing to spend your 40th birthday with us in Napa. The 2 bedroom suites are my favorite rooms in the hotel. Not only are they big but a perfect way to enjoy friends, family, food and wine.

We’ll look forward to your next stay with us on your future travels to our Legendary Napa Valley.

Geneva, Switzerland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2013 via mobile

This hotel is very clean,large,and beautiful. The rooms were extremely large and clean. The hotel had a very large hot tub and pool. It was close to town and had good service. Very expensive parking. I would recommend this hotel to any family or couple. Overall it was a nice stay.

• Stayed July 2013
Agjajkdj::

Thank you for the great review and awesome feedback for all of our TripAdvisor readers. Also, just to clarify our parking charges are all included in our amenity fee of $20 per night. This includes amenities such as shuttle service to downtown Napa, wine tasting in the lobby each evening, the gym and pool area and the valet parking that you mentioned.

We hope that you had a great trip and hopefully you can make it over again soon.

4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2013

My wife and I recently spent 4 nights at this Westin hotel in beautiful Napa CA. I would definitely stay again especially because of its location to the vineyards and what ended up being our favorite place the Oxbow Market Place.

Staff were all very accommodating. Royce Ann the concierge arranged things for us such as a driver one day and tastings at three different vineyards, lunch at a great restaurant....it was a 5-star day....she gave my wife a big hug when they met. Nathan at the front desk was helpful on the phone with my wife prior to our trip and made sure my wife's wants were passed onto the concierge for the pre trip planing of fine dining we wanted.

The property is fairly new. Because of Starwood status we got upgraded to a beautiful King suite with Kitchen/Balcony etc...it was great to have so much space....our room 3057 was overlooking a courtyard and bocce courts. Room location is key at this hotel. Our location made using the stairs and back entrance to the property our primary entrance and exit...we never came threw the lobby unless we needed the car. The walk from our room to the lobby was ridiculously long. No problems using the stairs and back gates as long as you had your key, but if you were challenged in anyway and could only use the elevator to get up to your room floor than it is a very long hike to some of the rooms. The only negative about courtyard rooms is if you stay by the pool the noise just magnifies because you're in a bowl. Our courtyard played background music that got annoying to the point I asked the front desk to shut it off and one day they did...I felt like I was in a Supermarket or Doctor's office...from 730AM-11PM there was music outside....we spent a lot of time on our patio late day/early evening and I liked just the natural sound of the river and birds etc....

Hot tub by pool is nice as it was chilly the week we were there but pool area looks much, much bigger in pictures and if kids are at pool it is very loud because of acoustics.
Can't comment on hotel food..we ate most of our meals at restaurants off property and the Oxbow market place which is amazing and only a 5 minute walk from hotel. Also town is only 15 minute walk which makes location great.

All in all we would stay again....if looking for a hotel feel this is the place.

Negatives....Courtyard music, distance of rooms from main lobby for some....we were on top floor and when people under us took showers late one night it sounded like they were using our bathroom....

Positives.....great location...clean rooms....knowledgable friendly staff....

Room Tip: avoid rooms overlooking pool/outdoor patio bar as they would seem noisy but we didn't stay in on...
Andrew W:

Thank you for the great review and detailed feedback for all of our TripAdvisor readers and future guests. I will make sure to pass along your kind words to Royce Ann and the rest of the staff.

I also want to thank you for your thoughts on the courtyard music. If and when you return and you find yourself ever feeling like the music is getting to be too much please let us know and we would be glad to make sure that it is either lowered or turned off.

Thank you again and we’ll look forward to hosting you soon.

Redondo Beach, California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2013

I hate to be harsh - but I cannot have been more disappointed with my stay at the Westin Verasa Napa.

A few things first - as a frequent traveler (and a Starwood Ambassador Platinum member) who spends over 100 nights in hotels each year, I don't see myself as being particularly demanding guest and this is the *first* time I felt compelled to write a negative review for a Starwood property.

For $600+ a night, I expect the stay to be excellent. I won't judge them against a Motel 6 when these are the prices they are charging, and I expect all elements of hospitality to be top notch. Exceptional service should be the standard. I understand that Napa is a great tourism destination and therefore demands a premium on all rooms and in general (especially in the summer) prices are steep everywhere. However, this is no excuse for lazy service.

Let me run through my experiences here:

VALET: Upon our arrival, my family and I sat in a line of 4 cars in the narrow turnaround as we watched, for 20 minutes, the *complete* lack of urgency and enthusiasm from the two valets working. No acknowledgment, no apologetic nod, no jogging back and forth. The attendants loaded the vehicles up front as if caught in slow motion, with no care for all the cars waiting to pull up. Not the most promising start to a much anticipated family vacation.

I will say this - throughout our three days here, there were a few valets who were very friendly, energetic and didn't look like they hated their lives. They earned the extra tips from me.

Yes, I know valet is complimentary. Please don't forget how much you're paying for the rooms. They're not doing this "for free."

FRONT DESK: After finally dropping off our car out front, we entered the small but lovely, bright and modern lobby. A guest was negotiating some breakfast issue with the only front desk agent working, and this was another 20 minutes. While I was waiting, at least 3 other front desk employees walked by to retrieve documents from the front desk drawers, to look on the computer screen, or to enter/exit the back office. All of them looked my way and made eye contact. Not a glimpse of a smile from any of them. Not a word of hello, and certainly not an offer to assist us in any way.

When the breakfast drama was at last resolved, Henry the desk agent was actually nice (WOW!) and checked us in swiftly, noting that we were upgraded to a Premium Suite on the top floor (thanks, my awesome ambassador Jason!). We were warned that Internet connectivity is basically non-existent up there, and that was good to know. I chose the breakfast vouchers for my platinum amenity and Henry threw in a free wine bubble wrap for us as well, which was a sweet gesture.

The next day, I requested 2 bottles of water from the front desk on our way out in the morning. When I made the request again that evening - I was informed that "they haven't been giving away water from the front desk for years" and that I was only entitled to the 2 free bottles of water per day provided in the room by housekeeping. Really?? Were those phantom bottles of water I received just hours earlier?

Also, as I usually do, I inquired about late check-out availability and their standard times provided. The guy barely looked at me, didn't offer a smile, and simply stated "we only offer late check-outs day of, and it's based on availability" then looked away. Is someone holding him hostage? This was all information I already knew, and I was never asking for a guarantee. This may seem small but it really irked me to be treated as a nuisance when I'm paying exorbitant prices to stay at this "luxury resort."

CONCIERGE: I asked about booking a tee time for my golf-obsessed father, and I was given the phone number to the Chardonnay Golf Club. Wow. I couldn't have Googled the phone number myself? I stared in disbelief as I realized he had no intention of calling the Golf Club for me.

ROOM: It's fine. It's just...fine. That's really all I can say. The kitchen is a nice touch, but this certainly is far far away from being even an average to good Westin I've stayed in. Everything is well appointed and functional - but also dated and a bit rough around the edges. None of this bothered me, however. A comfy bed and working bathroom is all I ask for. Check to both.

Housekeeping was wonderful and gracious. Here's the one star for being up to standard in one area. Woohoo! Extra tips for housekeeping, definitely.

The location in downtown Napa is pretty convenient, sitting in the south end of the valley - easy drive to most wineries and restaurants (if you can get a valet to bring you a car). I would likely pick a spot in Yountville for my next visit, however. Because I won't be coming back here, and secondly because it's more central.

In conclusion, the Westin added NEGATIVE value to my family trip. We rarely get to spend time together, living countries apart; it was such a disappointment to expect a nice time at our accommodations and have it dampened with poor service.

All I wanted is a smile, and to be treated with respect. I expect better of Westins/Starwood properties in general, and sincerely believe quality service should be the norm, not the exception.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
WestinNapa_CA, Manager at The Westin Verasa Napa, responded to this review, August 20, 2013
CapeBuffalo:

Thank you for taking the time to provide us with an account of your recent visit, and as I stated in my email correspondence, I am truly sorry for the let downs you experienced here at our property. I would like to go through your concerns just to make sure that you and our readers know that we do take guest feedback very seriously and that your issues will be addressed.

Valet-I was able to review the tapes of your valet experience and I have spoken to the team. From what I saw there was a lack of urgency to ensure that all of our guests were greeted and acknowledged. I explained to them the importance of making sure that our guests are all welcomed as they enter the drive because an unacknowledged 3 to 4 minute wait, can feel like 20.

Front Desk-I again was able to review the tapes of the check in experience and I have spoken to my front office team about making sure that all of our guests are acknowledged as quickly as possible. From the tapes, there was again a lack support at the desk and this caused for a longer than normal wait. There should be no reason for any guest to wait unacknowledged for more than 2 and half minutes because that wait time will feel much longer.

Concierge-I have spoken to all the members of our concierge team and they have assured me that nothing like you described will be tolerated or acceptable in the future. They all fully understand that their primary responsibility is to ensure that our guests requests are their main concern and making sure they fully handle each request to the guests satisfaction.

Room-I have passed along the great feedback to our housekeeping team and I’m sorry the room felt a bit dated. We were built almost exactly 5 years ago and have been doing constant refurbishing for the past few years but thank you for your thoughts.

Overall, I really thank you for taking the time to provide us your thoughts and I truly hope that we have the opportunity to show you a better, more Westin like experience.

Service Express Manager

Been to The Westin Verasa Napa? Share your experiences!