“New and Great Location” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #11 of 27 Hotels in Napa
GreenLeadersBronze level
“New and Great Location”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2013

My wife and I recently spent 4 nights at this Westin hotel in beautiful Napa CA. I would definitely stay again especially because of its location to the vineyards and what ended up being our favorite place the Oxbow Market Place.

Staff were all very accommodating. Royce Ann the concierge arranged things for us such as a driver one day and tastings at three different vineyards, lunch at a great restaurant....it was a 5-star day....she gave my wife a big hug when they met. Nathan at the front desk was helpful on the phone with my wife prior to our trip and made sure my wife's wants were passed onto the concierge for the pre trip planing of fine dining we wanted.

The property is fairly new. Because of Starwood status we got upgraded to a beautiful King suite with Kitchen/Balcony etc...it was great to have so much space....our room 3057 was overlooking a courtyard and bocce courts. Room location is key at this hotel. Our location made using the stairs and back entrance to the property our primary entrance and exit...we never came threw the lobby unless we needed the car. The walk from our room to the lobby was ridiculously long. No problems using the stairs and back gates as long as you had your key, but if you were challenged in anyway and could only use the elevator to get up to your room floor than it is a very long hike to some of the rooms. The only negative about courtyard rooms is if you stay by the pool the noise just magnifies because you're in a bowl. Our courtyard played background music that got annoying to the point I asked the front desk to shut it off and one day they did...I felt like I was in a Supermarket or Doctor's office...from 730AM-11PM there was music outside....we spent a lot of time on our patio late day/early evening and I liked just the natural sound of the river and birds etc....

Hot tub by pool is nice as it was chilly the week we were there but pool area looks much, much bigger in pictures and if kids are at pool it is very loud because of acoustics.
Can't comment on hotel food..we ate most of our meals at restaurants off property and the Oxbow market place which is amazing and only a 5 minute walk from hotel. Also town is only 15 minute walk which makes location great.

All in all we would stay again....if looking for a hotel feel this is the place.

Negatives....Courtyard music, distance of rooms from main lobby for some....we were on top floor and when people under us took showers late one night it sounded like they were using our bathroom....

Positives.....great location...clean rooms....knowledgable friendly staff....

Room Tip: avoid rooms overlooking pool/outdoor patio bar as they would seem noisy but we didn't stay in on...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
WestinNapa_CA, Manager at The Westin Verasa Napa, responded to this review, September 8, 2013
Andrew W:

Thank you for the great review and detailed feedback for all of our TripAdvisor readers and future guests. I will make sure to pass along your kind words to Royce Ann and the rest of the staff.

I also want to thank you for your thoughts on the courtyard music. If and when you return and you find yourself ever feeling like the music is getting to be too much please let us know and we would be glad to make sure that it is either lowered or turned off.

Thank you again and we’ll look forward to hosting you soon.

Service Express Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (196)
Redondo Beach, California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2013

I hate to be harsh - but I cannot have been more disappointed with my stay at the Westin Verasa Napa.

A few things first - as a frequent traveler (and a Starwood Ambassador Platinum member) who spends over 100 nights in hotels each year, I don't see myself as being particularly demanding guest and this is the *first* time I felt compelled to write a negative review for a Starwood property.

For $600+ a night, I expect the stay to be excellent. I won't judge them against a Motel 6 when these are the prices they are charging, and I expect all elements of hospitality to be top notch. Exceptional service should be the standard. I understand that Napa is a great tourism destination and therefore demands a premium on all rooms and in general (especially in the summer) prices are steep everywhere. However, this is no excuse for lazy service.

Let me run through my experiences here:

VALET: Upon our arrival, my family and I sat in a line of 4 cars in the narrow turnaround as we watched, for 20 minutes, the *complete* lack of urgency and enthusiasm from the two valets working. No acknowledgment, no apologetic nod, no jogging back and forth. The attendants loaded the vehicles up front as if caught in slow motion, with no care for all the cars waiting to pull up. Not the most promising start to a much anticipated family vacation.

I will say this - throughout our three days here, there were a few valets who were very friendly, energetic and didn't look like they hated their lives. They earned the extra tips from me.

Yes, I know valet is complimentary. Please don't forget how much you're paying for the rooms. They're not doing this "for free."

FRONT DESK: After finally dropping off our car out front, we entered the small but lovely, bright and modern lobby. A guest was negotiating some breakfast issue with the only front desk agent working, and this was another 20 minutes. While I was waiting, at least 3 other front desk employees walked by to retrieve documents from the front desk drawers, to look on the computer screen, or to enter/exit the back office. All of them looked my way and made eye contact. Not a glimpse of a smile from any of them. Not a word of hello, and certainly not an offer to assist us in any way.

When the breakfast drama was at last resolved, Henry the desk agent was actually nice (WOW!) and checked us in swiftly, noting that we were upgraded to a Premium Suite on the top floor (thanks, my awesome ambassador Jason!). We were warned that Internet connectivity is basically non-existent up there, and that was good to know. I chose the breakfast vouchers for my platinum amenity and Henry threw in a free wine bubble wrap for us as well, which was a sweet gesture.

The next day, I requested 2 bottles of water from the front desk on our way out in the morning. When I made the request again that evening - I was informed that "they haven't been giving away water from the front desk for years" and that I was only entitled to the 2 free bottles of water per day provided in the room by housekeeping. Really?? Were those phantom bottles of water I received just hours earlier?

Also, as I usually do, I inquired about late check-out availability and their standard times provided. The guy barely looked at me, didn't offer a smile, and simply stated "we only offer late check-outs day of, and it's based on availability" then looked away. Is someone holding him hostage? This was all information I already knew, and I was never asking for a guarantee. This may seem small but it really irked me to be treated as a nuisance when I'm paying exorbitant prices to stay at this "luxury resort."

CONCIERGE: I asked about booking a tee time for my golf-obsessed father, and I was given the phone number to the Chardonnay Golf Club. Wow. I couldn't have Googled the phone number myself? I stared in disbelief as I realized he had no intention of calling the Golf Club for me.

ROOM: It's fine. It's just...fine. That's really all I can say. The kitchen is a nice touch, but this certainly is far far away from being even an average to good Westin I've stayed in. Everything is well appointed and functional - but also dated and a bit rough around the edges. None of this bothered me, however. A comfy bed and working bathroom is all I ask for. Check to both.

Housekeeping was wonderful and gracious. Here's the one star for being up to standard in one area. Woohoo! Extra tips for housekeeping, definitely.

The location in downtown Napa is pretty convenient, sitting in the south end of the valley - easy drive to most wineries and restaurants (if you can get a valet to bring you a car). I would likely pick a spot in Yountville for my next visit, however. Because I won't be coming back here, and secondly because it's more central.

In conclusion, the Westin added NEGATIVE value to my family trip. We rarely get to spend time together, living countries apart; it was such a disappointment to expect a nice time at our accommodations and have it dampened with poor service.

All I wanted is a smile, and to be treated with respect. I expect better of Westins/Starwood properties in general, and sincerely believe quality service should be the norm, not the exception.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
WestinNapa_CA, Manager at The Westin Verasa Napa, responded to this review, August 20, 2013
CapeBuffalo:

Thank you for taking the time to provide us with an account of your recent visit, and as I stated in my email correspondence, I am truly sorry for the let downs you experienced here at our property. I would like to go through your concerns just to make sure that you and our readers know that we do take guest feedback very seriously and that your issues will be addressed.

Valet-I was able to review the tapes of your valet experience and I have spoken to the team. From what I saw there was a lack of urgency to ensure that all of our guests were greeted and acknowledged. I explained to them the importance of making sure that our guests are all welcomed as they enter the drive because an unacknowledged 3 to 4 minute wait, can feel like 20.

Front Desk-I again was able to review the tapes of the check in experience and I have spoken to my front office team about making sure that all of our guests are acknowledged as quickly as possible. From the tapes, there was again a lack support at the desk and this caused for a longer than normal wait. There should be no reason for any guest to wait unacknowledged for more than 2 and half minutes because that wait time will feel much longer.

Concierge-I have spoken to all the members of our concierge team and they have assured me that nothing like you described will be tolerated or acceptable in the future. They all fully understand that their primary responsibility is to ensure that our guests requests are their main concern and making sure they fully handle each request to the guests satisfaction.

Room-I have passed along the great feedback to our housekeeping team and I’m sorry the room felt a bit dated. We were built almost exactly 5 years ago and have been doing constant refurbishing for the past few years but thank you for your thoughts.

Overall, I really thank you for taking the time to provide us your thoughts and I truly hope that we have the opportunity to show you a better, more Westin like experience.

Madison, Wisconsin
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2013

My wife and I stayed here July 28-30, 2013 after I had business meetings in San Francisco and could not have been more pleased with the hotel and the staff. It was our first stay her, but umpteenth trip to Napa. Somehow we got very lucky and were upgraded to a king suite near the Bocce courts and were blown away by how beautiful and spacious the room was, especially the bathroom, which has an awesome shower! The bed was very comfortable and having the flat screen TV on the was is very convenient for watching TV before going to sleep. We spent some time at the pool and in the jacuzzi, both of which were clean, well maintained and quite relaxing. The wine tastings in the afternoon are a class act and a great way for the hotel to interact with local wineries, as well as a way to introduce guests to new wines.

One of the reasons we chose The Westin Verasa Napa is the walking distance to the Oxbow Public Market. It's wonderful to be so close to such great food - the tacos at C Casa and oysters at Hog Island are worth several trips. Plus, the hotel is such a great launching point to all of our favorite spots in Napa, including Yountville and all the sparkling wine makers tasting rooms that we like to frequent. Not to mention how easy it is to get to great gourmet shopping places Dean and Deluca, the Oakville Grocery and a simply amazing Whole Foods on Trancas.

One of the reasons that we feel lucky to have been upgraded to a king suite is that it made us realize that the Westin Verasa would be a wonderful place for a longer stay, as the kitchenette could easily be used to cook some simple meals when we don't feel like eating out.

I would also like to mention how reasonable our rate was, especially when compared to astronomical rates at other hotels in the area. I work in public television and can't afford to spent too much per night, but The Westin Verasa had quite reasonable rates for the categories I qualified for. We hope to stay here for 5 nights in May 2014 after I attend the PBS annual meeting in San Francisco - it would be a wonderful treat for my wife and me. Plus, we need a chance to try the Lobster Popcorn!

The last point I want to make is that the hotel seems to value diversity on its staff. Unlike other hotels, people of color aren't just in housekeeping or cleaning, but we saw diverse faces in all aspects of hotel employment. This may not be important or even noticed by most hotel guests, but it was a pleasant bonus for us.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
PTVMan:

Thank you for the incredible review and great feedback to our future travelers and TripAdvisor readers. Our service and our guests experience are on the top of our priority list and it sounds like you had a fantastic trip.

I have passed a long your review to our team and we hope that you’re able to make it out in the middle of next May after your meetings in San Francisco, if not sooner.

Los Altos, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 1, 2013

This place is great. Gigantic two bedroom suite with full kitchen and a nice deck overlooking the river. Quiet and appears nearly brand new. Polite, helpful and attentive staff. Nice wine list at reasonable prices, and very good food with quick room service. I was really impressed with this place and consider it among the best accommodation values I've come across.

And the location. It is literally just down the street from the Oxbow Public Market (we could see it from our room), which is on the level of the San Francisco Ferry Building Market only smaller (they share at least two establishments).

Room Tip: We were in the 3000's facing east. River and mountain views.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Jcbi:

Thank you for the great review and you sound like you had a wonderful experience. The 2 bedroom suites are some of the most comfortable rooms that we have. Also, you’re description of the Oxbow Market to those that know San Francisco is perfect, it is very similar to the Ferry Building.

Thank you again and we’ll hope to see you back soon.

Hoboken
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 1, 2013

My wife and I stayed at the Westin July 28th for one night as we were bouncing around different areas in the Napa valley. This hotel exceeded my expectations. I am a corporate preferred member and upon arrival I was upgraded without asking to a one bedroom suite. I also was able to have a later check out. This hotel is walking distance to oxbow market which is a great place to eat, drink, and check out. We went to dinner that night and the complementary car dropped us off and picked us up from our restaurant. It was a nice touch as I didn't want to drive after a day of driving around the Napa valley. After dinner we hit the hot tub and pool. Very nice! The next day we ran using the map provided by the hotel which took us through neighborhoods and parks of Napa. I will definitely be staying here next time I visit and would recommend this hotel tripadvisor peeps.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
CwmanningHoboken:

Thank you for the great review and perfect feedback for our future travelers and TripAdvisor readers. The Oxbow Market is one of my favorites places in Napa and I’m glad you were able to use our RunWestin maps. They are a great way to get a little bit of exercise and take a look around one of our beautiful Napa neighborhoods.

We’ll look forward to seeing you again soon.

NYC
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2013 via mobile

Our room was beyond spacious, beautiful separate bedroom, kitchen area, and living room space with a lovely outdoor porch. The bed comfortable, the service at check in quick and informative ( thank you SPG membership!) the staff was very helpful in suggesting a hike for first thing in the morning and where to eat. The location was great, right across from the wine train, and down the street from the oxbo market so we could have oysters and champagne for a snack, and get some nibbles from the fatted calf, and coffee and pastry in the am from the model bakery. This was my second Napa trip, and it was vastly improved by staying at the Westin. the pool was the perfect place to relax at the end of a wine tasting day and before dinner. we packed a lot into each day but never felt rushed because our hotel was so relaxing. Thank you Westin Staff!

Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
WestinNapa_CA, Manager at The Westin Verasa Napa, responded to this review, August 11, 2013
KatembNyc:

Thank you for the great review and this sounds like a dream vacation and a perfect way to enjoy Napa; full days of complete relaxation, wine and great food! (Oxbow Market is one of the best places in the world to help accomplish the second two).

We’ll hope that your 3rd and 4th trip bring you back in our direction and have a great rest of your summer.

usa
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2013 via mobile

Amazing Westin at Southern end of Napa Valley with helpful staff, great amenities, included valet parking and Wifi. Although pricey to stay for several nights, certainly a great place for splurge. Booked through hotels.com

• Stayed July 2013
Traveler447Usa:

Thank you for the great review and your recent visit to spend a couple days with us. We love to hear the great feedback and one thing to mention is that whenever you book with any Starwood property there is always a “Best Rate Guarantee”. This means if you find a cheaper rate on any 3rd party website Starwood will match it, with an additional 10% discount. That essentially means that 99 times out of 100 the best rates are always on our website, www.westinnapa.com.

We’ll hope to see you again soon and have a great summer.

Service Express Manager

Been to The Westin Verasa Napa? Share your experiences!