“Birthday Celebrations” 5 of 5 stars

GreenLeadersBronze level
Toronto, Canada
“Birthday Celebrations”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 22, 2013

In California for a family function and my daughter and I splurged and stayed at the Westin Versa in Napa. The hotel is beautiful -pools, outside dining, wonderful views, close to the scenic railway and easy access to drive to wineries. The front desk were extremely helpful - recommending less-frequented boutique wineries to visit and interesting restaurants to eat at along our tours. It was my birthday, so I was treated like royalty. There is an elegant Michelin-rated restaurant for fine dining in the hotel -the meal was exquisite. I'd return again.

Room Tip: there are larger rooms if you are travelling with family with lots of space. Overlooking the pool i...
Green Features: the hotel was water-conscious - GreenLeadersBronze level
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
WestinNapa_CA, Manager at The Westin Verasa Napa, responded to this review, June 23, 2013
Bevf4967:

Thank you for the review and for sharing your feedback with all of our TripAdvisor readers. Your birthday celebration sounds like a perfect Napa Valley experience and I am so glad that our hotel and staff were able to such a huge help. Small restaurants and boutique wineries are my favorite way to experience the valley.

Happy belated birthday and we’ll hope to see you back soon.

Service Express Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (209)
Tampa, Florida
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 19, 2013

It was apparently an "off" weekend for the hotel. Pulling up to the hotel, my wife went inside to use the ATM to pay the cab fare. the ATM was out of service. Once we went to the bank and returned we checked in and went to our room. We dropped our luggage and rushed to get ready for our wine train dinner and the iron in my room was broken. I called to desk for a new one and after waiting 10-15 minutes I rushed out and found some of the housekeeping staff in the hallway to get a new one. I returned to the hotel that evening and turned on the light by the bed and the TV..... neither worked. I called the desk and they sent a "tech" up to the room. He provided a replacement bulb and turned the TV off and on until it worked. I felt a little sheepish about the TV. After he left, I figured I'd get some ice and have some wind with my new bride. The wine bucket was dirty and had a black buildup in the crevasses ( I cleaned it and continued my night). The next day, more issues with the TV. The picture kept freezing. I told the desk on my way out and asked them to fix it or swap it out with a known working unit. That night it was the same thing, more issues. Other noteworthy failures on the hotel's part are not responding to calls for more towels (which had me chasing down maid carts in the halls), a dirty shower stall (just because it is slate doesn't mean I can't see the black mildew buildup), dusty A/C register above the hall entry, coffee pots with peeling silver paint on the pour spouts that I picked out of my coffee, the room service providers were not careful in their approach to making sure the trays came up with the correct, properly cooked food items or silverware. Another surprise to me was the lack of attention to the work environment of the staff. The front desk was professional each and every time I approached them but many other times I saw the maid staff and other staff members gathering in the halls to fraternize while on duty. Perhaps a little more attention to the details of their duties would have me writing a better review.
To sum up my entire trip to the Westin I would say I was pretty underwhelmed. After having a great experience in San Francisco at another hotel which made my visit effortless and relaxing this was a very big disappointment. I will detail my visit to their corporate office to hopefully help train/direct this staff to provide the type of visit each and every guest is purchasing from them.

Randy D:

Thank you for taking the time to provide us such a detailed account of your experience here at the property and I am truly sorry for the lack of products, service and attention to detail that you faced during your time here. This type of feedback, although often tough to hear, is key to ensure that we are continually improving, and so that we can hold our associates accountable to the highest standards.

I will specifically be speaking with our housekeeping team and engineering team to ensure that your concerns are addressed and prevented from happening to any future guests.

Lastly, I have listed my email address below to ensure if you have any other information that you would like to share, my door is always open.

I am sincerely sorry and please feel free to contact me with any further questions, comments or concerns.

nbaslaw@westinnapa.com
San Jose, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2013

The staff from driving to the front of the hotel to when we are leaving are very pleasant and helpful. Royce-Ann (Concierge) is very knowledgeable about wineries and attractions and always very pleasant. Even when the hotel is busy (most times) everything is calm and efficient. The beds are typical Westin. The food in very good and Le Toque is my favorite restaurant in Napa (I have not been to the French Laundry because I am not staying at one of their preferred hotels!!!) Our only complaint is that some bedrooms only have a shower. The rooms are quiet and relaxing; not that we spend much time in them.

Room Tip: Get a room with a tub. Have dinner at Le Toque.
MEB123:

Thank you for the review and the feedback for all of our TripAdvisor readers. I will be passing along your thoughts to Royce Ann and the La Toque team.

I am in full agreement that La Toque is the best restaurant in the town of Napa but if you ever want to go to the French Laundry you must call 2 months to the day, prior to your desired date. If you start calling at 10am you can usually get in and please let us know if you ever would need any assistance.

Please come see us again soon and I hope your summer is off to a great start.

4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2013 via mobile

The one bedroom suite was great, two big bathrooms, bed was big. Plenty of towels given. Service was great, staff were very helpful and pleasant especially the the guys who greet you on arrival and park your car and help with luggage. Also ate in the Michelin star restaurant which was a fantastic experience. We would certainly come back and stay again. Highly recommended.

• Stayed June 2013
Warren A:

Thank you for the great review and I will pass along your thoughts to our valet/bell team out front and to the La Toque team. They both love to hear great feedback from our guests so thank you again for your review.

We’ll hope to see you back again soon and have a great summer.

Maine, USA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2013

We found the customer service here to be fantastic, especially for a big hotel. The staff from the front desk to the bellmen were really nice and enthusiastic to help and give recommendations. The friendliness really made this hotel better than an average chain hotel and gave it a much more personal feel. There were also nice perks like free wine tasting, appetizers, and massages in the lobby during happy hour.

This is a big hotel, so the pool area does get crowded as does the front lobby. I personally like something a little smaller and personal, but, again, this is definitely a nice option for a bigger hotel.

The location was good, but Napa is pretty big. There are towns that are much more charming, but Napa does have some nice vineyards and restaurants.

I would give the restaurant in this hotel one million stars! I am a vegetarian and the veg tasting menu was one of the best dinners of my life.

We travelled with a small dog and he received his own dog bed and the staff could not have been nicer to him!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Emo042,

Thank you for the wonderful review and for taking the time to share your experience with us and our TripAdvisor readers. We truly love to hear great feedback about our associates and the wonderful service that our guests receive. Our goal is to be almost exactly like you describe, an upper upscale property, on the bigger side for Napa, and to provide our guest with all the personal touches that one might expect at a luxury boutique hotel further up North in the Napa Valley.

Again, thank you for the review and we’ll hope to see you back on your next visit to the area.

Wellesley, MA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 14, 2013

The Westin Napa is in a great location, right next to the Oxbow Market and Wine Train. You will find yourself traveling north to Calistoga, however, if you want to see vineyards and cute towns, as Napa itself is quite limited. There are plenty of good restaurants in the area, and while we did not eat at La Toque, we heard nothing but good things about it. The pool area is nice and relaxing, the staff were helpful and our room was phenomenal, no complaints on that front. The concierge, Christopher Salinas, is particular, really helped us out when it came to activities and restaurants. If you have time to do a hot air balloon tour with Balloons Above the Valley, that too is highly recommended. Enjoy your time here, it is a special place!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
WestinNapa_CA, Manager at The Westin Verasa Napa, responded to this review, June 16, 2013
Brotsy,

Thank you fabulous review and I will be passing along your feedback to our concierge Christopher. From your review, it sounds like you figured out your way around and you give some great advise about the valley. The keys is that most of the 400+ wineries are located to the North towards the lovely little towns of Yountville, St. Helena and Calistoga.

Lastly, anyone who has the opportunity to take a balloon trip on one of the various balloon companies, Balloons Above the Valley, Napa Valley Balloons and others should try to make it happen. It’s a wonderful experience and is well worth getting up at 4:30am.

We’ll look forward to seeing you again in the future.

Pleasanton, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 14, 2013

I would prefer a room without a kitchenette. Not very romantic ! This hotel would be perfect for a family trip. Nice short walk to downtown.
Wish they had some outside sitting area, but the only sitting area is in the pool or lobby.
The service is very good!

Room Tip: Get a room that faces the river.. Nicer views and quieter
Kaety F,

Thank you for the review and on your next visit, or any future visits, we do have rooms without kitchenettes but they are typically going to be a bit smaller, our Traditional rooms. We also do have some outside seating areas in our fireside courtyard between the hotel and the pool. Half of the area is restaurant seating and the other half is open to our hotel guests. The restaurant will still service the public area upon request.

Lastly, I will also be passing along your thoughts about the great service you received and we hope that we see you on your next visit to Napa.

Service Express Manager

Been to The Westin Verasa Napa? Share your experiences!