“Mixed Review: Great Property. Comfy bed. Terrible Experience! (but we'll give them a second chance).” 3 of 5 stars
Review of The Westin Verasa Napa

Ranked #9 of 25 hotels in Napa
GreenLeadersBronze level
Phoenix, Arizona
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 16, 2013

We were moving from Seattle to Phoenix with our two cats and when we found out the movers were delayed we decided to take a few extra days in Napa to relax. I chose the Westin based on their reputation and the fact that they allowed pets. The hotel is in a wonderful location in Napa. It is a lovely property as well. Upon arriving we were greeted by fantastic bellmen who continued an extraordinary level of service throughout our stay. Unfortunately, that is where the good experience ended. We checked into a 1 bedroom suite. The girl at the front desk was informed that our stay was prepaid by my boyfriend's new company. She acknowIeged this fact and took our personal card for incidentals. Upon arriving in the suite, I was surprised to find a used bathrobe behind the door that had apparently been overlooked along with some previous guest's hair. This is not up to Westin standards so I called to have it removed. I then attempted to put some things in the small refrigerator. I was surprised to find it very warm even though it was turned up and then a bit disgusted to find a hair inside. Regardless we settled in, I had laundry sent out and we headed to BANK cafe for dinner. (a bit of an unprofessional experience there but that's another review) Upon returning we found that not only had the hotel billed us for incidentals, but had incorrectly billed us for the entire stay AND a reservation that had previously been cancelled when we changed our trip plans. Unfortunately, this caused a snowball problem with bank charges, other stuff not going through...etc. etc. It basically wiped out the bank account with our personal trip money. We informed the front desk and were told to be in our room at 9pm and they would send up a bottle of wine as an apology. At 9pm we waited and waited....finally we called down (apparently they had forgotton) and they finally had it sent up. Still not impressed. We put a breakfast request menu on the door and headed to bed. My boyfriend (who was greatly looking forward to sleeping in) had to get up early the next morning to have a conference call with another manager and the bank to try and rectify the situation. He was surprised to find the menu still on the door that morning. (no one had ever picked it up, even though it was out there by 10:00, in plenty of time) Hoping to have the bank issue solved we got ready for an afternoon of wine tasting. We were told upon check-in that the thermostat was on a default and if we wanted to override it to call. It was a bit warm for me so before leaving we called to have it changed. We waited and waited. Finally I called down to find out where they were and found that because we had the do not disturb sign on the door (we were told to keep in on because we have pets and didn't want anyone in there without us) the maintenance man turned back around and left without even knocking. Even though I had JUST SAID it was ok to come up. I was a bit perturbed because it had already been an hour of waiting when we wanted to go. So...we waited and he was sent back up. Upon checking it he told us that "No, there is no override, just set it to what you want". Sheesh....all that waiting for nothing. So, trying to improve our mood, we set out to do some wine tasting. Upon returning I found that the thermostat had indeed defaulted to the original setting and it was too warm. Apparently you do have to override it after all. I also found that the refrigerator that I had turned up to the coldest setting was still warm. Apparently broken. I also noticed that our laundry (guaranteed to be back by now) was not there. I called down and was informed that they did not deliver it because we had a do not disturb sign on the door. Ok, I know this but couldn't you at least call our room and let us know it's in??? At this point we were exasperated and I decided to not call anyone about the refrigerator because we didn't want to wait and wait on maintenance again and be further inconvenienced by having them in our room for awhile. Unfortunately we also found that the bank issue had not been resolved. A manager gave us a discount card for food at the hotel. A bit concerned about our budget at this point we nixed the idea of going out and ordered room service instead. I ordered the scallops and was terribly disappointed to find them very overcooked, chewy and tasteless. They did take them off the bill but I ended up eating french fries because it was late at this point and I didn't want to wait any longer. The following morning I ordered a smoothie and what the menu said was "assorted hot tea". When it arrived the hot tea was ONE teabag...the same teabag that was already in my room. I was expecting (as at other hotels) a wide assortment of hot teas to choose from. $5 for something I could have done myself. They had a limited menu and after this experience we opted not to eat from room service or the restaurant again while at the hotel so that discount card really didn't help at all. Again, my boyfriend was prevented from sleeping in the second morning because he had to be up early trying to resolve the bank issue.. Still, it wasn't resolved and we had to wait around the hotel instead of going out waiting for a fed-ex package of emergency funds that was sent by his company. When we finally checked out the following day we reflected on what was supposed to be a very relaxing pause in a stressful cross-country move with pets but instead it was one of the most stressful and disappointing times on our trip. At check out we were greeted by the front desk girl who asked us how everything was. (!!!) They didn't even bother to put a note on our account? We asked for the manager and after explaining the situation and requesting to have all charges removed she did "erase" our stay. We had an incredibly long day of driving ahead of us. Unfortunately we still had to hang around till noon while they tried to resolve the bank account issue putting our driving for the day well into the dark. Another inconvenience. Ultimately the bank issue was resolved (after checking out) and we were offerred a complimentary stay at the hotel before June of 2013. Up until this point I had never stayed in a Westin. I was impressed by the bellmen, the location and what is a lovely property. The other service was horrendous however, unacceptable and far below what I expected from the Westin's reputation. The managers did the right thing by comp-ing our stay and offering us another complimentary stay. For that I applaud them. I want to assume this was an isolated incident and somehow we were part of the perfect storm of bad events. Of course we never should have had to go back to "try" for a good experience but at least we have that. I will keep you posted on our future experience. It really couldn't be worse but I hope this time, to be fully impressed.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
WestinNapa_CA, Manager at The Westin Verasa Napa, responded to this review, January 22, 2013
Thank you for the feedback and I’m sorry this situation escalated to the level that it did. I can only imagine the frustration that you all experienced and from my email correspondents with your boyfriend I believe that everything has been resolved.

We can’t wait to see you on your future stay and I can ensure you that your next stay will be a much more relaxing and rejuvenating trip.

Please let me know if there is anything else we may be able to assist with and we’ll see you soon.

809 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (176)
Ann Arbor, Michigan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 7, 2013

Stayed in a great 2 bedroom suite for 4 nights and was really spoiled again by the Westin in Napa. I love the location because there are so many great restaurants to walk to. Having a full kitchen is also very helpful. My only minor complaint is that they didn't pick up the room service tray/cart quick enough. We had room service each morning and it was always there when we got back at night. Even after the room was cleaned.

This was my third stay at the hotel and I hope there is a 4th and a 5th and a 6th... you get it. Stay here.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
Thank you for the awesome feedback and as I’ve stated on other reviews, the 2 bedroom suites are the way to go when staying with others or on a longer visit. I will also be passing along your feedback to our in room dining team to ensure that they are following up more closely with the housekeepers on getting our hallways cleared.

I hope your having a great start to your year and we’ll hope to see you on your next visit to the Legendary Napa Valley.

Tucson, Arizona
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2013

My husband and I were celebrating a milestone birthday. Upon check-in we were upgraded to a large suite with living room, kitchen, and two bathrooms. A bottle of champagne was sent up later that evening. The front desk and concierge were extremely friendly, efficient, and helpful. We had an excellent breakfast downstairs in the cafe as well as a dinner at LaToque. Can't say enough excellent things about LaToque. Would definitely return to both the hotel and restaurant next time we're in Napa.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
This sounds like a dream birthday and were so glad that you were able to spend it with us. Thank you for the great feedback and we’ll hope to see you back on your next trip to the Napa Valley.

Arlington, Virginia, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 1, 2013

My husband and I stayed four nights at the Westin Verasa Napa over the Christmas holiday. We stayed in a king suite, which made our four nights extremely comfortable. The room was beautifully appointed and very clean. The staff, especially the concierge staff, was so warm and helpful. The location is great as well - very close to great restaurants in Napa, and a great jumping off point for day trips all over wine country. The weather was not great while we were in Napa, so we didn't really use the pool area, but it looked very nice. The gym area is smallish, but has all the necessities. We also enjoyed the beautiful and warm lobby for grabbing a drink or bite to eat. We were definitely sad to leave at the end of our stay.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you for the great review and the good feedback for our future travelers. I can almost guarantee that on your next visit the weather will have turned back to the sunny skies that are typical for our area.

We’ll hope to see you again soon.

San Diego
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 28, 2012

Location is great. They do allow pets. Although when we checked in, despite having reserved that our puppy was joining us, they did not have a bed or bowls for him. My husband is a Starwood platinum member and i suspect that is the only reason why they were able to "find" a bed and bowl. Other than that minor glitch, great place to stay. You can walk to a number of shops and restaurants. The Napa Valley Wine Train is right across the street. They have bocce ball courts, a nice pool and huge jacuzzi. We have stayed there before and found everything to be consistent. The bar downstairs was awesome. This is the first bar that I have ever found the high end, ever elusive Pappy Van Winkle 20 year bourbon. That is usually only reserved for bars that cater to whiskey drinkers. The had a number of high end, hard to find spirits as well as home made bitters. The bartenders were a hoot and seemed to get into the fact that a woman loved drinking bourbon. Definately was fun to hang out there.

Room Tip: Make sure you let them know if you are traveling with a pet. We previously did not travel with a pe...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
WestinNapa_CA, Manager at The Westin Verasa Napa, responded to this review, January 5, 2013
Thank you for the great review and for you and your husband’s continued loyalty to Westin and Starwood. We really appreciate all the great feedback and I will be passing along your review to our food and beverage team and I’ll send along your praise.

We wish you a happy new year and we’ll hope to see you back soon.

california
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 28, 2012

Treat yourself to the one bedroom suite. Think of them as a small but well appointed city apartment. The bed is very comfortable and the doors to the sleeping area block out all noise from the hall. The sleeping area is dim, which while romantic at night, is a bit annoying as one tries to get ready in the morning. The sleeping area also lacks a mirror and unless one select to dress in the equally dim but spacious bathroom one will have to guess at appearance. However, one will delight in a roomy balcony, comfortable sitting area, two televisions, and the most well appointed kitchette ever (two microwaves, a dishwasher, all dish ware, pots, pans, untensils one could desire.) The Westin Verasa is very pet friends (could never tell a pet have set foot in my suite) and has several teraces and a river walk to keep your four legged fried happy. The social hour features wine, a light snack, and free massage on a first come first serve bases (arrive just before 5:00) and look for the sign up sheet by the fireplace. Do tip well!) Easy walk to Day Spa, Oxbow Market, the Napa Wine Train, several wine studios, and downtown (great shopping and theaters.)

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a river view.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you for the great review and the details you were able to provide for all our future guests. From your room descriptions, pet friendly options and local attractions, I think your descriptions are spot on. Also, if at any time in the future you find yourself needing more light in your guest room, please feel free to give us a call and we can typically make some special accommodations per request.

We’ll hope to see you back soon and happy new year.

San Francisco, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 27, 2012

My wife and I stayed with another couple in a 2 bedroom, 2 bath "upgraded" suite, facing the river. The 2 bedroom unit has plenty of room, and a nice terrace. The rooms are are clean and quiet. Excellent beds. Our unit had a fairly long walk from the elevator and lobby.

Staff is friendly. We had one problem with the bill, which took some time to resolve, but eventually it was correctly handled.

Easy walk to the Oxbow Market - excellent breakfast items at Model Bakery. Bit of a longer walk to downtown Napa, though it's only 10-15 minutes. Unfortunately, we had cold and somewhat wet weather the second weekend in Dec. Even so, we walked to dinner both nights, and enjoyed not having to get into a car to go out at night.

I recommend this hotel and would stay here again.

Room Tip: Room facing the river was nice and quiet.
Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
I would like to thank you and this is great feedback for all of our TripAdvisor readers. I think your suggestion of 2 couples in a 2 bedroom suite is a great option for people traveling together and your area suggestions and walk times are perfect.

We’ll look forward to your next visit and have a great new year.

Service Express Manager

Been to The Westin Verasa Napa? Share your experiences!