“Pretentious” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #37 of 216 Activities in Napa
Type: Wineries, Food & Drink
Activities: Wine tasting
More attraction details
Owner description: Jarvis Estate is a family owned winery dedicated to crafting a limited quantity of preeminent wines from our sustainably farmed, estate vineyards in the rugged hillside, four miles east of downtown Napa Valley. The Jarvis Estate winemaking facility is entirely contained within 45,000 square feet of cave tunneled into the scenic Vaca Mountains,and is not only a visual masterpiece, but a technical masterpiece as well. Wines are produced only from estate grown grapes and are cave-aged to perfection prior to release. Varietals include: Chardonnay, Merlot, Cabernet Sauvignon, Petite Verdot, Tempranillo and a two proprietary Bordeaux blends.
Montreal, Canada
58 attraction reviews
“Pretentious”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 22, 2013

We've never heard about this winery and the only reason, we've been there is because my husband googled what is the top 10 winery to visit and Jarvis was one of them because apparently it is unique that the entire operation in the caves. The cost is $60 pp and includes a visit and tasting of some select wines with cheese. Group of 12 persons. We arrived 15 minutes earller and announced ourselves to their gate. We walked in and a gentleman (don't remember his name) welcomed us and invited us to pay. He showed us a piece of paper to put our name, address and email but told us that we don't have to do it since our goverment doesnt allowed us to receive wines from USA and anyway their wine list is full and there is a waiting list!!!! Pretentious!! Excuse me but there is one thing that I learned in my 35 years of work with public is to never under estimated the clent in front of me, don't be condescendant like this wine educator who used to be a teacher and somellier. Probably the type of teacher who throw you a chalk when you talk during his expose.The tour was not started and the 4 of us can't wait to get out of place. Ok, I will not spend the entire review on this person which obviously, we did not appreciated it neither maybe his sense of humor. The caves are nice, there is a water fall inside to keep humidity. We saw one of the winemaker in their bottling room. We listened the story of Jarvis, the estate is using only 3% of their ground, We then went to a tasting room. We had one white and 5 reds with heese and crackers Honestly, I appreciated the chardonnay , not enough to buy it and no coup de coeur for their red. The price of their wines started at $95, it is small production, maybe too much varieties, the prices goes with it.
I forgot to mention that we are wine lovers, own wine from all over the world and at different prices including the type of jarvis price and I mention it without pretention!!!! In resume, if you have $60 to spend to see something different, go for it but if it is for the tasting, well, i will suggest you to go somewhere else

Visited September 2013

West Chester, Pennsylvania
10 attraction reviews
“A very different tasting experience!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2013

Pretentious - yes, but for the money, I expected it. The entire wine making process is housed in a huge, man-made cave. The owner imported machines used to dig England's Chunnel in order to build his dream. Reservations are required, and our group of 12 filled the tasting table, so I assume that is the maximum size for each group. The visit starts with a tour of the cave, including the production area as well as a large area used annually to host their wine club members for an annual ball. You then move to a more intimate tasting room, where we tasted 6 wines, accompanied by cheese and crackers. The wines were excellent! The one improvement I might suggest is that they pair the wines with food, but as this is a small facility, I assume they don't have a chef on staff. Though we had seen the price list coming in and told ourselves we would stick with the tasting, it was so good that we could not bear to leave empty handed, and treated ourselves to several bottles. In contrast to some other reviewers, we did not feel rushed, our guide was great - though his name escapes me, he had worked as a sommelier for years before working at the winery, so was quite knowledgeable and engaging.

Dingmans Ferry, PA, USA
8 attraction reviews
“Awesome experience”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 29, 2013

We 've been in Napa before and visited several places. This time I did some advancedmreconmand this place came to my attention. We were not disappointed . it's a bit pricey but a must if you can afford!

Saint Petersburg, Florida, United States
5 attraction reviews
“Great visit!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2013

We visited Jarvis in June, at the suggestion of a colleague whose sister is a member of their wine club. The entire operation, with the exception of the vines, is housed in underground caves. The story of its inception and the beautiful caves were very interesting. The tasting was excellent. I much prefer red wine, but actually enjoyed the white as well. I strongly recommend trying it out. The tasting and tour is more expensive than at some other vineyards, but the unique environment and quality of the wines makes it definitely worth it!

Visited June 2013
Bramley, United Kingdom
“Overpriced. Avoid!”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2013

Compared with the majority of excellent vineyards in the Napa and Sanoma valleys, we found the Jarvis tasting experience much less personal and less engaging. During the tour itself, we felt that there was a time schedule to follow, and so we couldn't linger, or ask too many questions, and it was clear to us that we must depart before the next scheduled group were due to start. The price of the tasting experience at $60 per person was not justified; really far too expensive. And don't get me started on the price of the wine bottles, should you decide to purchase one or two.....The bottles started at over $95 each, and really the wine is not that great!