“nice rooms, great location” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Victoria Inn

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Murphys
Victoria Inn
You added Victoria Inn to your Saves list
402 Main St., Murphys, CA 95247 (Formerly Rebud Inn)   |
Ranked #3 of 3 Murphys B&B and Inns
San Diego, California
“nice rooms, great location”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013

Murphys is a quiet little town and the "V" is right downtown on main street. The location is great if you want to be close to the wineries and just stroll around downtown. The rooms are nice and comfortable with a feel that equally matches the town itself. There is a fabulous restaurant in the hotel that serves great food and just outside the hotel on main street are multiple wineries in walking distance. The front desk was knowledgeable and friendly, and the feel is more of a b&b than a "hotel".

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Tasha U, Public Relations Manager at Victoria Inn, responded to this review, May 3, 2013
Thank you for your feedback, I am glad that you enjoyed your time at the V and in Murphys. Please do come back again!

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (26)
Vacaville, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 31, 2013

We went to Murphys to pick up a wine shipment at one of the local wineries and figured we might as well spend the night, since we would be doing some 'tasting' while there. We had been wanting to check this place out and they had a vacancy...it worked.

We had a small room above the Bistro patio...you could hear the chatter, but it was all very civilized and not too noisy at all. The room was clean and well-maintained, but space was a premium, and I wouldn't choose that room for more than a one-night stay. The small balcony was about the length of a queen-sized bed and about 3 feet wide. OK for two to sit and have a glass of wine; had to stand up to see over the rail. WiFi worked fine...no TV or phones in the rooms.

Desk people were helpful and courteous and made some recommendations for wineries and restaurants.

Room Tip: Rooms above the Bistro tend to be noisier than others.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Sonora, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 26, 2013

Stayed in Room 11, "cottage". Fireplace burns only small duraflames but provides some atmosphere (burn two at a time for twice as much atmoshere ;). 2 person Jacuzzi is brilliant, large enough for a big guy like me and my girlfriend. Shower head could be a little higher for tall guys like me.

Nice wood floor and overall size of room was large, warm and cheery. Perfect for our getaway.

Bed has a a faux four-poster design to it with curtains - really charming. Bed, linens and pillows great.

Had a private furnished porch which we didnt get to use this trip but intend to when the weather warms up a bit.

Staff pleasant, started a fire for us before we checked in and while we had a light supper.

Continental breakfast was great -- and I usually consider them afterhoughts by the hotel and skip them in favor of a breakfast somewhere else. But this one was much better. Pastries were delightful and well made. Bagels were really, really good - soft and great flavor. Smoked salmon with capers was also excellent quality and coffee was very good as well. We sat outside on porch to eat along with a selection of newspapers. They also had fireplace going on in dining room but outdoors was more our style that day.

Room Tip: Room 11 is the cottage and subject of this review - did not see other rooms.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 30, 2012

A little mixed on the one night we stayed at the VI. Remember folks, it's not a hotel, it's an Inn, and more like a bed and breakfast without the big breakfast. The photo is deceiving, as the entire building is right on main street off the street and houses other businesses other than the Inn. We stayed in the Opi's cabin room with in-laws across the hall in a regular king bed room. Our room: Luxurious looking old style post beds, bare wood ceilings and wood floors, old claw foot tub and tin panel shower. The decor is a mix of vintage upscale (think Restoration Hardware) with some odd 70's/80's throwback here and there (like the huge jet tub that could fit 5 adults in the in-laws room and some other assorted fixtures). One thing that got me was the heating vents had dust globs caught in them and there was dust under the beds (like they cleaned the floors, just didn't take the extra time to run a broom/mop under the bed). This place is not huge, so the rooms should be SPOTLESS! The heater in this room is LOUD, probably because the bare wood ceiling decor and lack of insulation. When the heat kicks on, the noise of the vent and air coming through woke me up every time. On the flip side, my in-laws did not have this issue in their room. As someone else mentioned, the heater controls all rooms centrally. I was told on check-in, it is set by staff to a "comfortable" level but not advised until I complained at check-out that guests can adjust the thermostat if they need to. I'd like to know which guest set it to 75 or 80 after 10PM, because we (in-laws included) roasted all night. The beds are warm enough with the huge blankets! I cracked the windows at the head of the bed but it was 32 degrees outside, with the windows at head level, so you froze your face off and the heater kicked on every fifteen minutes. Very uncomfortable and sleepless night. I had another issue at 9:30PM when I went to take a shower. With the hot water on full blast (no cold water on) the water was barely warm enough to take a shower. This wasn't a problem the next day in the morning (water was steaming hot), so I wonder if they share water heating with the restaurant that maybe had some industrial dishwashers going that night around closing? I would skip the continental breakfast (walk down to Aria Bakery!!). The Inn provided Bagels, pastry, yogurt, granola and raisin bran, OJ, bananas, apples, oranges, weak/bad tasting coffee, packaged cocoa and cider. I saw a "Kirkland" bag in the prep area (probably the bagels) but made me think maybe the pastry was also from Costco, not from a local bakery. No thanks. Overall, if you can deal with lack of regular hotel amenities (no TV, fridge, safe, ironing board, blow dryer, etc.), the decor is very nice, quiet rooms, comfortable, centrally located in town to walk to anything. The staff is super friendly but only available from 9am to 7pm. My wife was overly charmed by the rooms, as most people might be. Great getaway for couples but our kids hated it! Loved being able to walk downstairs and take a little door right into the bar/bistro (see review for "V" Restaurant), then take a staircase right back to your room for the evening. My wife wants to go back. Me, I might go for it if there is nothing else worth checking out and we try a different room....

Room Tip: Opis' cabin: wood floors, loud ventilation system
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Bay Area
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2012

My wife and I stay here at least twice a year for a little wine tasting get away. If you want great wines and friendly helpful hosts try coming to Murphy's and Calaveras County. Of course if you miss paying outrageous fees for your wine and don't mind snooty hosts then you better stick to Napa County.
The Victoria is quaint and comfortable, the rooms are well appointed and the location is right in the heart of downtown Murphy's. The breakfast is awesome and the hosts are very helpful. It is a bit more costly to stay here but in my opinion worth every dime.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
Richmond Hill, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 20, 2012

After a horrible experience in Amador City, we called the Victoria Inn to extend our stay and we were not disappointed. We stayed in "Opi's Cabin" a very cute, atmospheric, well appointed double room. Spotlessly clean. Very comfortable beds. Service was outstanding. Danielle was so friendly and helpful. Breakfast was great with excellent smoked salmon, great pastries. We were also able to enjoy it outside on the terrace. Very well located in Murphy's with lots of restaurants nearby. We enjoyed their V Bistro onsite with a wonderful meal in the courtyard. This Inn helped rescue our visit to Gold Country and I would not hesitate to recommend it to others.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
Tasha U, Public Relations Manager at Victoria Inn, responded to this review, October 22, 2012
Thank you so much for your valuable feedback. We are so delighted that you enjoyed Opi's Cabin, it is such a unique experience indeed. We do hope that you will come back and see us soon.
Huntingdon Valley, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 18, 2012

Stayed here in September 2012; the only 3-night stay on a 5-week road trip, and I made the right choice with this lovely inn. I'm handicapped (in a wheelchair), and the staff couldn't have been more helpful or made me feel more at home. This was a sorely-needed rest just when I needed it; the room was lovely, and the town of Murphys just encourages one to "set a spell." Strongly recommended with absolutely no hesitation.

Room Tip: I stayed in Mae's room, which was ideal for a handicapped traveler (it would be fine for able-bo...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled solo

Been to Victoria Inn? Share your experiences!