“We had to talk our way in!” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #2 of 14 Attractions in Murphys
Type: Caverns/ Caves
Attraction Details
Westford, Massachusetts
“We had to talk our way in!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2009

The staff was very polite when we arrived. They did not want us to take the tour. Why? because 3 of our family group have visual impairments. But we said we could handle it and it was wonderful, a high point on our western trip. Having done the tour, we can understand why the staff would be so careful about who could participate. Most of the way is single file, and there is no way anyone can leave without needing a guide. So the staff uses their best judgement as to who can or cannot do the tour. Since there is a railing all the way through, it was a very blind-friendly environment. My wife, who is totally blind, had not problem avoiding getting her head bonked on the low ceilings. But to get to the main point ... this is a wonderful place with unique and dazzling formations, both to see, and to hear described by the skilled staff. The thin formations "bacon" and "angel wings" are things I remember from visiting as a kid 45 years ago. Highly recommended.

Watsonville, California
“steep and narrow”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 11, 2009

we were 5 minutes into the 45 minute tour and realized this isn't for toddlers. The steep and narrow steps require "able body" folks and wish the staff hadn't allowed us to consider taking our 20-month daughter on the tour. IMHO nobody under 4 years old should consider this tour.

we didn't get the "rude" guide.

Mariposa, CA
4 attraction reviews
“Shameful”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2008

My husband, son, and I had a terrible experience at Mercer Caverns. I am saddened by this as my son was really looking forward to the tour. When we bought our tickets we were told that we couldn't bring our belly-bags or purses on the tour. OK...we put them in the car. We waited in line for the tour. As we were all going into the cavern entrance, the tour guide said rudely to my husband, "You can't come in with that cane!" My husband told her he was disabled and needed the cane in case he lost his balance. She just repeated (very rudely and loudly) that he couldn't go in with the cane. There was nothing we could do but get our money back. I have no idea what the caverns are like, but from my experience with the employees I would never go back there. My son was horribly disappointed. We then drove 20 minutes to California Caverns where we had a great tour (which included my husband being able to take his cane on the tour.)

So Cal
“Don't Chew Gum!”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2008

This tour guide was extremely controlling and rude. Every snippet shared by the guide ended with the idea of "That's what happens when you don't follow directions." All were told to toss gum in the trash can as we entered the caverns. As an adult, I am extremely careful and would never consider putting my gum anywhere inappropriate. So, I kept it. Big mistake! During the tour, the guide noticed my gum and called me out in front of the entire group and demanded that I return to the entrance and toss it out. I mentioned that I would just swallow it, but she continued to have issue with me. I understand that I could have alleviated this scene by throwing it out in the first place, but to call out an adult in this fashion was demeaning and inappropriate. I must say that it was a memorable tour, but not in a positive way.

California
“Great Place”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2007

My husband and I had a great time on the tour. At one point it felt like we were going up a ladder instead of stairs, but it's all very do-able. No need to go to the gym afterwards! At one of the stops the guide gives a demonstration of how dark the cave would be without modern electricity briefly. Very cool!