“Avoid on Weekends” 2 of 5 stars
Review of The Murphys Historic Hotel

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Murphys
The Murphys Historic Hotel
You added The Murphys Historic Hotel to your Saves list
457 Main St., Murphys, CA 95247   |
Ranked #4 of 4 Hotels in Murphys
“Avoid on Weekends”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 12, 2005

My husband and I and our college-age son had booked two nights in the original Murphy's over Thanksgiving weekend. Our room was charming, but directly over the bar downstairs, and the noise from the bar kept us awake until after midnight the first night. We requested a room change to their "modern" section which is across the parking lot from the old hotel for our second night's stay, but it was fully booked. When we returned to the hotel late that night, we found the sidewalk out front, the hallways downstairs, and the bar packed with 20-somethings. The music and noise were so loud, we knew we wouldn't be able to get any rest---and the bar doesn't close 'til 2 am--- so we packed up and left at 11:30 pm to go sleep on the floor at the home of relatives in Angel's Camp. If you are into the noisy, crowded bar scene, and don't need to sleep until the wee hours of the morning, maybe this is for you, but we were seriously disapppointed in our hoped-for weekend retreat in a quaint historic hotel.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (18)
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 30, 2005

I thought we lucked out when this hotel had a cancellation and were able to get a night during Memorial Day weekend. I'm glad we only reserved one night. We stayed in room 307, which is not part of the historic hotel but a newer building to the side. This was the dirtiest hotel room I've ever stayed in. Upon arrival to the front door I could smell what I think was urine, possibly from pet owners allowing their pets to use the planters outside the rooms. Upon entry to the room, the carpet was obviously old and had holes in it, the curtains also had holes and a thick layer of dust across the top, the shower was worse than most campground showers I've encountered, and the toilet was barely working. They were nice enough to charge me a non-holiday rate when I presented my complaints the next morning. We heard great things about the restaurant but didn't try it because of the cleanliness issues we were experiencing with the room. Overall, the hotel itself is a cool place to stop off and look at and have a drink in the bar, but I would not eat or stay there again. The grounds are very pretty with a grass courtyard and roses surrounding it. Drinks can be taken from the bar to courtyard area where there are tables and chairs. The next time we go, we will stay at The Victoria Inn.

• Stayed May 2005
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 27, 2005

Murphys Historic Hotel Dining room is by far the best dining in Murphys. This is saying a lot as Murphys has exceptional dining choices. I have a large and varied family so we love the Hotel. Whether it be lunch on the patio or dinner in the Goldroom. My favorite is dinner at the hotel. The hotel cooks up the best prime rib in the county. The Ahi Tuna is a favorite of my husband. The Rack of Lamb is mouth watering! My daughters love the old fashioned country fried chicken, the pasta choices and the chicken marsala. The menu is substantial and they even have (multiple) specials every night! The ambience at the hotel is warm, inviting and friendly. Ask anyone who works there and they'll tell you the story about Elenore the Hotel ghost! The hotel has become my familys favorite place to eat when we are in town and a special date night treat for my husband and myself without the kids!

3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2004

I just got back from a great trip to the Gold Country. My girlfriend planned the trip for my Birthday and it was one of the best that I have had. We stayed in the Murphy's Hotel. It was alot of fun, albeit very Historic. It is this great OLD building, and it has a very cool bar.

The food in the restaurant was fabulous, but very busy. After dinner we went to have drinks in the bar. We ended up, hanging out with locals and dancing till late to live music. This must be a local hang out.

Our room was comfortable, but slightly outdated, and the bar was busy and noisey, but such a good time. It is probably the closest you will get to HISTORIC Gold Country California.

I highly recommend it, and we will go back again.

Orlando, FL
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 9, 2004

Great location & friendly, knowledgeable front desk staff. Quality live entertainment in the down-home saloon was a nice bonus. Although the breakfast was decent, the restaurant staff appeared inexperienced, frazzled & out of sync. Can't comment on the condition of the historical rooms (located on the 2nd flr of the main bldg) but found our room in the motel-style detached bldg disappointing. Poor sound insulation from adjacent rooms & thin, hard mattresses. Also, due to age, there are some things no amount of cleanliness can maintain, in this case the fiberglass shower stall. Not what I expected from a motel room that costs $100, good location or not. Would stay there again but would opt for the historical rooms--even if there's no AC or private bathroom--over the motel rooms.

• Stayed August 2004
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 17, 2003

If you smoke and don't care about firm mattresses, then this is the place for you. The rooms that I looked at are in need of repair and I feel the mattresses are old and smell of smoke, the restrooms need an up-lift also. The attitudes of the personnel could use a bit of friendliness. I'll never stay there again!! The positive side is, it's in town.

Been to The Murphys Historic Hotel? Share your experiences!