“Better than before(the two redecorated rooms)” 3 of 5 stars
Review of The Murphys Historic Hotel

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Murphys
The Murphys Historic Hotel
Save Saved
You added The Murphys Historic Hotel to your Saves list
457 Main St., Murphys, CA 95247   |
Ranked #4 of 4 hotels in Murphys
Clovis, California
“Better than before(the two redecorated rooms)”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 17, 2013

We stayed in room 107, for a one night stay on 9/15/13.( my brother stayed in room 108, it's and end room and slightly larger). Rooms 107 & 108 are the two rooms that Gordon Ramsey made over for the TV series Hotel Hell.
The updated rooms, are much nicer than the original(we stayed in room 106, about 6 years ago). The paint was fresh, the decor was updated and was very cozy looking. The mattresses are not new, but the quilted mattress cover was comfortable. The bathrooms were not updated, and could use a little assistance. While they were clean, the tile in the shower needs to be replaced, a shelf to put your stuff on would be great. It would really make the whole experience complete with a new bathroom to match the room.
No coffee maker or micro/fridge, but the lobby offers free coffee for guests in the morning, which we took full advantage of!
If you book and get one of these two room you won't be disappointed. If you book an older room, you may be disappointed. They are older and outdated with wall paper from 1970 as is the decor.
We ate dinner and breakfast there at the hotel and sat on the patio both meals, both meals were yummy and the service was good.
We had a couple of beers in the saloon and played darts Sunday night, the beer was cold and service quick.
As usual the town of Murphy's was nice we enjoyed wine tasting on Sunday. Be prepared that there are only 3 tasting rooms that do NOT charge a tasting fee(this was reversed about 6 years ago). Most are $5.00 I believe two are only $3.00, if you make a purchase they do not charge the fee. We pick and choose and at times only do one tasting per couple, in case we do not like the wine.
ENJOY!!

Room Tip: 107 or 108 if you want newer updated
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple

80 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (17)
Palo Alto, California
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2013

The town is wonderful with lots of great dining, warm people, and wine tasting rooms that are unpretentious and the prices reasonable and inexpensive. I love the small town feel and the lack of commercialization. I imagine Napa was like Murphys ages ago before it became this luxury destination.
Anyhow, this hotel was great for the experience and my husband and I only stayed one night. The room was spartan and the decor was true to form as far as keeping the authenticity of being historic. The beds were uncomfortable, I heard footsteps by my bed probably made by the friendly ghosts that inhabit this hotel. The ghost walked from the door to a corner sink and then back again. I was spooked but I did not feel threatened. The bathrooms are located down a hallway that's creepy to me. I just held my bladder in the evening to avoid walking down to the toilets. We stayed in the Mark Twain room.
The noise level in the evening is ridiculous! This is the place to be if you want to party and carouse into the wee hours, not a place to rest or relax in the evenings. It's definitely fun but not what I had in mind. My husband passed out and was oblivious to the noise because he was smart enough to drink so much wine in the evening he was able to zonk out.
I would only come back here to dine in the restaurant or eat outdoors, the food here was delicious!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Eufaula
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2013

My sister booked this hotel for our 2 night stay. After the first night I was ready to check out early and find another hotel. We stayed in room 104 The beds were extremely uncomfortable. It was extremely loud. The people leaving the bar in the main hotel decided to hang out in front of our room all hours of the night. The second night was better because we were so tired from the first night and all the wine we tried that day. I loved the town Murphys but I would have to find somewhere else to stay if I visited again.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Manila, Philippines
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 1, 2013

I booked a room here for myself, my husband and my sister. The reservation process was very easy and the lady who answered the phone when I called very nice. They were also very nice when we checked in. The rooms are as my title says spartan. We stayed in 104. It was very very very loud. The beds were not comfortable at all. The first night was so loud we slept only a couple of hours. The second night was a little bit better but we had a good bit of wine which helped with the sleep. I recommend ear plugs if you are staying here.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
Napa, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 2, 2013

Murphys is one of our favorite get-away towns and has truly captured our hearts. As Napa residents we appreciate good food and great wine and Murphys has it all. The nicest people, many OUTSTANDING restaurants and wonderful wines. We are members of 3 wine clubs already and we love going to the numerous events in town. We often have breakfast or lunch at Murphys Hotel because we like the outdoor seating, the price and sometimes having a beer in an old establishment is just perfect for the mood you know? We have eaten dinner and lunch there many times and enjoyed many burgers and steaks and have never been disappointed.

Recently we took family from nearby and Virginia to dinner at the Hotel. It was so outstanding I simply had to take the time to write a review which I rarely do. I was so taken back by the perfections of everyone's cuisine that night I had to ask about the chef. I was told that his name if Joel and he is one of the new owners. He makes everything from scratch, all his sauces and broths and even the raviolis. He sources locally and buys the best products he can.

My mother had the duck which can be very tricky. Normally I would never order duck unless I truly trusted the establishment and reputation but I had numerous bites and it was cooked and prepared PERFECTLY! I had a steak special served with a crab and hollandaise type sauce which was one of the best meals I have ever had. My Aunt had a braised lamb shank and the sauce was so rich and delicious and the meat was the most tender you could get. My Brother in Law had fried chicken that was also...PERFECTION....Take it from someone who has had Thomas Kellers fried chicken in Yountville...It rivaled! Everyone's dinner came with perfect locally sourced fresh asparagus and carrots. Not the baby peeled kind. The kind of carrots you pay 3x the price for in the store!

This place truly gets a bad rap sometimes because of the hotel and its age. I know it cant be the nicest place to stay at times due to the age of the rooms but I can assure you as someone who has met the owners many times, they care about your stay and they care about their establishment. Do not let the grandma like decor in the dining room fool you! These guys and this chef mean business!!! And personally, I love a good dive bar and really love the history of being at the Murphys Hotel..

Room Tip: If your worries about noise of the restaurant or bar, stay in the rooms across from the hotel. Othe...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Redding, CA
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 18, 2013

This place survies because it is the only place in "downtown" Murphys with a full liquor license. The saloon used to be a fun place to hang out, but now it just looks dirty and dingy. The new owners seem to be nice guys, but unfortunately they seem woefully unprepared to provide a nice experience to their customers. The recent St. Patricks Day event was a disaster...no security to keep the obnoxious drunk locals from coming into the saloon and starting fights, nobody to try and direct foot traffic and assist with tables in the seating area of the saloon, and a totally understaffed bar. I'm sorry, but living off of a reputation of being "the only place in town" just isn't good enough any more.

Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Brian G, Owner at The Murphys Historic Hotel, responded to this review, March 21, 2013
Hi "Fading Fast" I'm sorry you feel your experience wasn't up to par but in my defense I would like to address the issue's you spoke of:

1. "only place in downtown with a full liquor license" ... well just so you know next time you are in town there are other options. "The V", "Grounds", and "The Nugget" ! It's not that I want your business I just want to make sure "MY" customers are happy and I assure you we do try our Best!
2. "Saloon used to be fun but now dirty and dingy"... I have been the manager here for nine years and one of the new owners as of November. Again I haven't seen The Hotel, Restaurant, or Bar in better condition as it is now. We have been making changes and improvements daily but I do want to remind you that Rome wasn't built in a day. Again we are trying our Best to improve everything here... Donations are gladly accepted! :)
3. "The New Owners Nice yet unprepared" ... Again I have been here for 9 years, one partner here for 5 years, and the other partner 3 years! Between us over 45 years Food & Bev Experience. We are always open for constructive critisim but No low blows please. Thanks for the Nice Guys comment because we truly are... We dump our selves and hearts into The Hotel daily.
4. "Disaster on St. Pattys Day"... as for security we had 5 men on shift all day 2 more than all years past. Drunk locals didn't start or end the 'ONE" fight we had that lasted all but 30 seconds! Directing foot traffic and assist with table service??? Not on Irish Day! What would you suggest? "Steve Table of 4 our table is Ready!!!" Above the voices and laughing of over 100 people?
5. "Only place in Town" ... Again we are not the only place in town but we are the only place in town that decided pro-actively to close for the night after our "ONE" disturbance! Every other establishment in Murphys had as many if not more problems then we did!

I would like to conclude with this was The Hotel's most sucessful Irish Day in recent years! Yes we did close early as any prudent business owner would do with as many intoxicated people who were on-site and in town. Again as The Hotel's Team leader we try our Best each and every day to please All! Some people are harder to please and that is okay, I like challenges! Can't wait to see you soon!
Sincerely, Brian
(One of the New Woefully Unprepared Owners)
Belmont, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2013

.....mostly because Murphys is such a neat town. We like the historic nature of the hotel and the people running it are very nice. The reason for the "so-so" review is that the weekends can be very noisy with wedding parties, loud music and noise from the bar, and late revelers coming home. The first time we dined in the hotel's lovely garden and had a fabulous meal. However, they must have changed chefs since then because on a later visit the food was anything but fabulous but definitely overpriced. Other than that it is a fun place to stay, the town is charming and the California Gold Country is always worth a visit.

Room Tip: Make sure not to get a room above the bar.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to The Murphys Historic Hotel? Share your experiences!