“Better than before(the two redecorated rooms)” 3 of 5 stars
Review of The Murphys Historic Hotel

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Murphys
The Murphys Historic Hotel
You added The Murphys Historic Hotel to your Saves list
457 Main St., Murphys, CA 95247   |
Ranked #3 of 4 Hotels in Murphys
Clovis, California
“Better than before(the two redecorated rooms)”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 17, 2013

We stayed in room 107, for a one night stay on 9/15/13.( my brother stayed in room 108, it's and end room and slightly larger). Rooms 107 & 108 are the two rooms that Gordon Ramsey made over for the TV series Hotel Hell.
The updated rooms, are much nicer than the original(we stayed in room 106, about 6 years ago). The paint was fresh, the decor was updated and was very cozy looking. The mattresses are not new, but the quilted mattress cover was comfortable. The bathrooms were not updated, and could use a little assistance. While they were clean, the tile in the shower needs to be replaced, a shelf to put your stuff on would be great. It would really make the whole experience complete with a new bathroom to match the room.
No coffee maker or micro/fridge, but the lobby offers free coffee for guests in the morning, which we took full advantage of!
If you book and get one of these two room you won't be disappointed. If you book an older room, you may be disappointed. They are older and outdated with wall paper from 1970 as is the decor.
We ate dinner and breakfast there at the hotel and sat on the patio both meals, both meals were yummy and the service was good.
We had a couple of beers in the saloon and played darts Sunday night, the beer was cold and service quick.
As usual the town of Murphy's was nice we enjoyed wine tasting on Sunday. Be prepared that there are only 3 tasting rooms that do NOT charge a tasting fee(this was reversed about 6 years ago). Most are $5.00 I believe two are only $3.00, if you make a purchase they do not charge the fee. We pick and choose and at times only do one tasting per couple, in case we do not like the wine.
ENJOY!!

Room Tip: 107 or 108 if you want newer updated
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (19)
Palo Alto, California
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2013

The town is wonderful with lots of great dining, warm people, and wine tasting rooms that are unpretentious and the prices reasonable and inexpensive. I love the small town feel and the lack of commercialization. I imagine Napa was like Murphys ages ago before it became this luxury destination.
Anyhow, this hotel was great for the experience and my husband and I only stayed one night. The room was spartan and the decor was true to form as far as keeping the authenticity of being historic. The beds were uncomfortable, I heard footsteps by my bed probably made by the friendly ghosts that inhabit this hotel. The ghost walked from the door to a corner sink and then back again. I was spooked but I did not feel threatened. The bathrooms are located down a hallway that's creepy to me. I just held my bladder in the evening to avoid walking down to the toilets. We stayed in the Mark Twain room.
The noise level in the evening is ridiculous! This is the place to be if you want to party and carouse into the wee hours, not a place to rest or relax in the evenings. It's definitely fun but not what I had in mind. My husband passed out and was oblivious to the noise because he was smart enough to drink so much wine in the evening he was able to zonk out.
I would only come back here to dine in the restaurant or eat outdoors, the food here was delicious!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Eufaula
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2013

My sister booked this hotel for our 2 night stay. After the first night I was ready to check out early and find another hotel. We stayed in room 104 The beds were extremely uncomfortable. It was extremely loud. The people leaving the bar in the main hotel decided to hang out in front of our room all hours of the night. The second night was better because we were so tired from the first night and all the wine we tried that day. I loved the town Murphys but I would have to find somewhere else to stay if I visited again.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Lexington, Massachusetts
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 1, 2013

I booked a room here for myself, my husband and my sister. The reservation process was very easy and the lady who answered the phone when I called very nice. They were also very nice when we checked in. The rooms are as my title says spartan. We stayed in 104. It was very very very loud. The beds were not comfortable at all. The first night was so loud we slept only a couple of hours. The second night was a little bit better but we had a good bit of wine which helped with the sleep. I recommend ear plugs if you are staying here.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
Napa, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 2, 2013

Murphys is one of our favorite get-away towns and has truly captured our hearts. As Napa residents we appreciate good food and great wine and Murphys has it all. The nicest people, many OUTSTANDING restaurants and wonderful wines. We are members of 3 wine clubs already and we love going to the numerous events in town. We often have breakfast or lunch at Murphys Hotel because we like the outdoor seating, the price and sometimes having a beer in an old establishment is just perfect for the mood you know? We have eaten dinner and lunch there many times and enjoyed many burgers and steaks and have never been disappointed.

Recently we took family from nearby and Virginia to dinner at the Hotel. It was so outstanding I simply had to take the time to write a review which I rarely do. I was so taken back by the perfections of everyone's cuisine that night I had to ask about the chef. I was told that his name if Joel and he is one of the new owners. He makes everything from scratch, all his sauces and broths and even the raviolis. He sources locally and buys the best products he can.

My mother had the duck which can be very tricky. Normally I would never order duck unless I truly trusted the establishment and reputation but I had numerous bites and it was cooked and prepared PERFECTLY! I had a steak special served with a crab and hollandaise type sauce which was one of the best meals I have ever had. My Aunt had a braised lamb shank and the sauce was so rich and delicious and the meat was the most tender you could get. My Brother in Law had fried chicken that was also...PERFECTION....Take it from someone who has had Thomas Kellers fried chicken in Yountville...It rivaled! Everyone's dinner came with perfect locally sourced fresh asparagus and carrots. Not the baby peeled kind. The kind of carrots you pay 3x the price for in the store!

This place truly gets a bad rap sometimes because of the hotel and its age. I know it cant be the nicest place to stay at times due to the age of the rooms but I can assure you as someone who has met the owners many times, they care about your stay and they care about their establishment. Do not let the grandma like decor in the dining room fool you! These guys and this chef mean business!!! And personally, I love a good dive bar and really love the history of being at the Murphys Hotel..

Room Tip: If your worries about noise of the restaurant or bar, stay in the rooms across from the hotel. Othe...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Belmont, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2013

.....mostly because Murphys is such a neat town. We like the historic nature of the hotel and the people running it are very nice. The reason for the "so-so" review is that the weekends can be very noisy with wedding parties, loud music and noise from the bar, and late revelers coming home. The first time we dined in the hotel's lovely garden and had a fabulous meal. However, they must have changed chefs since then because on a later visit the food was anything but fabulous but definitely overpriced. Other than that it is a fun place to stay, the town is charming and the California Gold Country is always worth a visit.

Room Tip: Make sure not to get a room above the bar.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Modesto, California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 22, 2013

We just got back from three days in Murphy's, we had booked the Murphys Historic Hotel for two nights but ended up staying one night and going to another hotel for our second night. Here's our story:

The check-in was smooth and the girl was very friendly and professional. The room and the location was the problem. The bed was "sway back" so I woke up with my back hurting from the uncomfortable mattress. The shower was very, very small with old gross tile and the shower head was extremely low. I am 5'2" and it was too low for even me! There was a soap dispenser in the shower but the soap barely came out. There was NO SHAMPOO available. Tiles on the bathroom floor were chipped. The bathroom sink was low as if for a child or a urinale!

Now about the noise level........LOUD and LOUDER!!!! The room we stayed in was Room 304, separate from the actual Historic Hotel. There is a bar in the Hotel and people came out to smoke all hours of the evening and into the wee hours. We are fun people and like to go out and enjoy ourselves too; however, the language and the loudness was way out of controll! Between the horrible mattress and the noise, we did not get much sleep!

When we went to check out (a day early) we told the hotel our concerns and the reason we were going to another hotel instead of staying the second night there. They did nothing to make it right. They never offered to move us into another room or to even offer a discount or anything. We felt that was poor customer service and because of it, we will never go back or refer the Murphy's Hotel to anyone. We went up the road to the Murphy's Inn and were treated like valued guests, the room was larger and cleaner and it cost us $30/night LESS! Our experience is to steer-clear of the Murphy's Hotel. We don't like to give negative reviews; however, the only possitive experience we had was the check-in experience.

Room Tip: After staying here I would never try it again but if you are insistant about staying here, perhaps a...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to The Murphys Historic Hotel? Share your experiences!