“BUENO, MAS O MENOS” 3 of 5 stars

Dining options: Reservations
Nome, Alaska
“BUENO, MAS O MENOS”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2013

Our recent visit yielded confilicting results. My wife's carne asada was very good; my Pollo Guajillo, "grandma's special" was not. Grandma's idea of sauce was a cloying version of Campbells celery soup...nearly.

The margaritas we chose tasted good, had little alcohol and lots of ice..for $10 per. That is disturbing for a local Mexican restaurant.

The menu was diverse and interesting....many dishes more authentic than comparable area restaurants.

The room was incredibly noisy...unbearable at times....we will not likely return for that reason alone...tired of close tables and loud noise..why pay $ for that.

The service was quite good....too bad there were so many negatives.

• Visited March 2013
    • 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food

San Jose, California
“Gourmet Mexican Food redefined! Best”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 5, 2013

This is by far our FAVORITE restaurant in whole BAY AREA. We were blown away by the food when we tried it for first time last year. They serve Puebla mexican cuisine, unique creations and purely enchanting flavors. We liked the Mountain view food much much better than Palo Alto one.

We love their
Pampano A La Mulata- Barimudi fish wrapped in cream based sauce and loads of different pepers (sundried, roasted and deep fried).

Have also tried
Camarones A La Diabla and Camarones Al Chipotle or with Salsa Nueva
Both the dishes were ultimate.
Tried their milk cake dessert with berries. It was out of the world, light and fluffy.

Decor: The place is cozy and dimly lit. Feels very intimate for date nights.

Bar: Margaritas are out of the world. One was enough to lift you to a differnt level.

Salsa: Love Love their salsas! Green one was yummiest.
Down side is you tend to eat a little too much and kill your own appetite for the star items!

Service: Very attentive service. You feel well attended.

Restaurant is always busy, and they do not take reservations. But, we don't mind going early and hanging at the bar. :)

A must try and we highly recommend this place to our friends and fellow yelpers!

• Visited February 2013
Pa
“Best Mexican food in Palo Alto area”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 10, 2013

I've tried a few Mexican places in town and this one stands out. Everything I ordered was as good in its class as I've had anywhere. The guacamole side was huge, the service great, the selection of sauces interesting and the meats well-prepared. All around a good choice. I got their early, so I can't really comment on noise level, service, or ambiance once the place fills up.

• Visited November 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
San Francisco, CA
“Same Fantastic Food and Atmosphere, Now Less Noisy”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 26, 2013

Vive Sol has always had great higher-end Mexican food, solid service and a festive ambiance. One of the things that distinguishes it is the variety of unique and flavorful sauces. You can even ask to sample them before your meal. However, one downside has been the noise level. It can make conversation difficult and take away from the experience. Happily, they recently added some noise reduction technology and it seems to help. Now there is no reason not to go there if you like Mexican (other than the wait on a Friday or Saturday night).

• Visited January 2013
Petra - Wadi Musa, Jordan
“It's just one of those places where everything on the menu is absolutely phenomenal!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 25, 2013

The longstanding #1 restaurant on TripAdvisor, it took us forever to finally try this place we drive/bike past almost every day! And now I understand why it's ranked so highly... It's just one of those places where [almost] everything on the menu is absolutely phenomenal!

For drinks, I got the x-rated margarita, and was so smitten with it I forgot to try the other drinks at the table. I did have a sip of the sangria, which did seem very good, but in a fight between a marg and a glass of sangria, I think the winner is clear.

As far as food goes, I studied the menu carefully online before going and opted for the enfrijoladas. Listen: if you don't want to finish your plate, you shouldn't order those bad boys. It's the 'favorite vegetarian option' for a reason... It's savory, well-seasoned, full of all kinds of vegetables... The tortillas are that perfect chewy, not soggy,consistency, and it makes you wonder why vegetarian food at other Mexican restaurants is so inexcusable.

My fiance ordered a vegetarian burrito with mole sauce, and hours later was still shaking his head and saying, "That mole sauce." It was really amazing-- so complex and chocolatey, spicy and rich and deep. It's a real mole sauce, homeslice. I know he really enjoyed it, but I was so focused on my enfrilos that I barely noticed.

The [almost] mentioned above is for my friend who ordered the chicken soup (caldo de pollo) and found it bland, and too salty. She told me to make sure to put that in my review-- and you know what I recommend!

For two margaritas and two (vegetarian) entrees, I think we spent about $55. Not too shabby! Oh-- one other thing-- they don't take reservations. For a table of 6 at 7:00 pm on a Tuesday night, we waited a half hour. You can do the math for a more normal situation!

• Visited January 2013