“Personal, helpful, WOW service... a reality here!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Strata Mountain View

You added Hotel Strata Mountain View to your Saves list
Hotel Strata Mountain View
2.5 of 5 Hotel   |   93 West El Camino Real, Mountain View, CA 94040 (Formerly Holiday Inn Express Mountain View (Town Center))   |
Ranked #1 of 23 Hotels in Mountain View
Hyderabad, India
“Personal, helpful, WOW service... a reality here!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 14, 2013

My manager usually stayed at this property and so I decided to check them out on TripAdvisor first. When I read all the reviews, I told myself, this is unreal, you can't have a place that everyone raves about. It isn't possible! I booked the rooms online (took literally 5 mins on their website), got the corporate discount applied promptly and our reservations were done. At the last minute, we had to extend our stay by a day in advance and I sent them an email, and it was done! :) All this is before I've even reached the hotel!

The hotel location is easy to find. Cabs from SFO airport take an average of $100-$130 to get there. If you plan to work from/stay in Mountain View for long (and know how to drive in US), it's best if you can rent a car at the airport and drive down rather than taking a cab. We rented a car at Avis the day after we arrived and that worked out much much cheaper. Plus Avis also allows you to drop off the car at the airport so you can save on cab fares both ways. There's Castro Street a couple of streets away from the hotel where you can find many restaurants to dine at. The hotel also has a handy list of restaurants that you can call up and get food delivered to your rooms.

We chose the 2 Queen Bed room (2 of us were sharing the room). The room was super spacious, with a closet, decently sized kitchenette complete with a 4 burner gas stove, plates, cutlery, a refrigerator, microwave, coffee kettle! The bathroom again was smartly designed with the bathtub quite a distance away from the basin. They had a work desk with a portable laptop stand (to work from the bed)! What I loved was the ample plug points that they had provided for! It's so convenient when you don't have to hunt for points in the rooms. The lights had switches at the right heights and the right places too (I've stopped taking this for granted ever since my last few trips where the electrical layout is often the most poorly designed in the rooms). Their breakfast spread is delicious (try the pancakes, I gorged on the cinnamon raisin bread with cream cheese spread each day), the pantry in the lobby has coffee, tea and some cold snacks like yogurt and buns in case you need a midnight snack!

But you know what you'll remember when you stay here and when you leave? Their service. If there was one word I could attribute to what I experienced here, it was "home". Everyone welcomes you with a genuine smile that goes beyond the 'How're you'! Dilip Patel, the GM is the most humble, courteous person I've met! He actually greets all guests during breakfast and is looking to make your stay better! On our first day to work, we got lost (Yay for GPS-based directions that don't work!) and after a few wrong attempts, we gave up and called him for help, instead of taking the easy route by giving us more instructions, he actually drove to us and led us to our office! I don't know anyone else who would've made that choice! They also offer a shuttle service to get you to work (and of course to bring you back) as long as you confirm it with them in advance.

I know my review sounds like I'm overtly excited (with all my exclamation marks) but seriously, this has been the best ever service I've experienced so far! Thank you Dilip, Kirit, Em (and I'm forgetting everyone else's names but know that I thank you guys!)

Room Tip: - Choose a room on the first (ground if you're indian) floor if you have heavy luggage (I don...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
TownCenter, Manager at Hotel Strata Mountain View, responded to this review, February 8, 2013
Ayesha,
Thank you very much for taking the time to write about your experience at the Hotel Strata. It was a pleasure meeting you and your team and look forward to serving you the next time you are in Mountain View.

Kirit

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (42)
Nairobi
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 13, 2013

I stayed at the hotel for work, it was a lovely experience, the staff are extremely helpful... they have an all day breakfast table... i totally enjoyed it.

They arrange for shuttles to the various offices located in the area, and to/from the airport on request

Room Tip: Ask for the dulex king room ...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 13, 2013

The Hotel Strata definitely lives up to its TripAdvisor reviews: it's a comfortable, clean, and conveniently located hotel with a wonderful staff! Upon arriving at the hotel, I was a bit concerned by the fact that all rooms are accessed from the outside; I generally avoid this type of layout, as it gives the impression of being less safe. As a result, I really appreciated the fact that the Hotel Strata has gone out of its way to overcome this impression by creating key-access doors that allow only hotel guests to access the hallway balconies outside the rooms. The room itself was very nice: spacious, well-appointed, and clean. The wood floors are a great touch, and the mini-fridge and microwave make everything much more convenient! I did have some difficulty keeping the room cool on my first night, but that might have been my inability to determine how to use the system! The hotel location is very convenient: I had meetings in Palo Alto, Sunnyvale, and Mountain View during my stay and was never more than a 15 - 20 minute drive from any location; the approximately 45-minute trip into San Francisco was very straightforward as well. Finally, as other reviews have noted, the staff at the Hotel Strata is truly wonderful. Though the layout of the hotel means that you interact with them less than you might at a more traditional hotel, every interaction that I had with the staff was positive, expressing a true desire to make my stay as easy and enjoyable as possible. They were also genuinely kind and paid close attention to our pre-trip communications about my room preference, etc. In short, I'd definitely recommend the Hotel Strata and would return myself on future trips to Silicon Valley.

Houston, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 12, 2013

A recent business trip to the San Mateo County area of California brought me to this hotel. Being near San Franscisco and the Silicon Valley area, there are many lodging choices that one could select. I came across Hotel Strata on the internet and was very impressed with its website, hotel features, reviews and proximity to where I was to conduct my business. At first I had a concern about it being a motor court style hotel (former Holiday Inn Express) and nearly discounted it as a valid choice as being a single female traveler, as safety is a primary concern. I am so glad that I did not as aside from safety, I look for a place that offers the most value in areas of rates, comfort, features and customer service.

This place is too good to be true as it has it all and I will definately come back for future stays while in the Bay Area. This hotel offers guests great value, comfort, five - star amenities, high speed internet, business center, delicious and plentiful breakfast buffet and most importantly...it has the best owners and staff ever. Mr. Patel and his family go out of their way to make you part of their family during your stay. I am certain that Mr. Patel and his son do not need to be a part of the daily operations as he has a devoted and dedicated staff with Gladys, Linda, and Em; however, I am happy they were as being greeted by them daily made my day. Everyone of these folks made me feel like family and ensured I received anything that I needed and gave the most helpful advice insofar as my travels and entertainment.

Never in my years of travel have I came across a team of people who love their jobs so much that they go beyond the call of duty to ensure total satisfaction for their guests. They spared no expense in remodeling this hotel to take it away from the looks of a national chain hotel into something truly outstanding and special. On my day of arrival, Mr. Patel was reviewing blueprints to do further enhancements to his hotel and was beaming as he described what he planned to do next. This level of commitment makes me happy and feel great that a small business owner in America can have much success by putting their heart into the business.

A special thanks goes out to Mr. Patel for being so kind and considerate by offering me a scarf to keep me warm on a day when it was 32 degrees after I left home without my coat. By the way, I could rave about customer service and his staff all day, but you may want to know that the Hotel Strata website photos depict exactly what you get when you stay. I was very pleased with the bedding, internet, food, etc. I have travelled all over the US and Mexico and by far have never met a team of folks concerned about making their customers feel great.

If you are ever in the Mountain View, CA area (near San Jose) you must consider this hotel. YOU will be happy you did!

Best regards,
Debbie N./ Houston, TX

Room Tip: I had the basic (300 SF) room and it was very nice and just as the website depicts!
Lexington, KY
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 8, 2013

I only stayed at the Hotel Strata for a couple of days and did not want to leave because of the service I received. The staff was not only friendly but also extremely helpful and accommodating. Hotel Strata also has great rooms. But their staff is by far the biggest selling point for me. I will definitely stay there on my next visit to Mountain View.

Manitoba
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 5, 2013

Our stay took us over Christmas day. Everything was excellent. Front desk helpful and courteous. Housekeeping was superlative. The room was kept perfectly clean with ample supply of bath linens and change of bed linens. HVAC worked perfectly. Comfortable bed made sleeping in a strange environment easy. Breakfast was sufficient and varied, numerous options to satisfy most tastes. Both hot and cold selections. All in all a most satisfying stay. Room was large and airy with lots of storage space for the luggage.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Queens, NY
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 11, 2012

Given the older, motel-type exterior, I wasn't expecting much, but I was blown away by the friendly and dedicated staff and pleasantly surprised by the upscale touches that have been added. From glass-enclosures on lower-level exterior hallways, umbrellas at entrances, high-end coffee and snacks, well-appointed rooms and amenities, everything at Strata was wonderful.

Room Tip: Best service in the Valley by-far! No need for a rental car- their free shuttle can get you to and f...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled on business

Been to Hotel Strata Mountain View? Share your experiences!