“Cute little boutique hotel -- definitely a "go back!"” 5 of 5 stars

Unwind Your Weekend
Ranked #4 of 22 Hotels in Mountain View
Certificate of Excellence 2014
San Diego, California
“Cute little boutique hotel -- definitely a "go back!"”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 21, 2013

This was a new hotel for me, and will likely be added to my list of "go backs" when I visit my office in Mountain View. While I found the room a wee bit small, I liked the hotel itself.

The Good:
The staff was awesome! Everyone was very friendly, and very accommodating! I don't know about the "hip vibe" but the boutique hotel aspect was refreshing and I didn't feel like I was just one of 100's in a large hotel. The breakfast actually did seem like a *real* breakfast and the fresh fruit (yes!! fresh fruit!) was a nice touch! Loved how the the furniture in the room could all be moved around and reconfigured to your liking -- and yes, I did rearrange things somewhat.

The Bad:
If you are used to one bedroom suites, the single room hotel room is small. And the room I got was most definitely on the smaller side. Even after rearranging things to my satisfaction it was a bit claustrophobic. Fortunately, they do have rooms you can lounge about in, and apparently the wine/beer gathering in the lobby is a great way to hang in the early evening. So unless you are absolutely spoiled by larger suites, this really wouldn't be "bad."

The Ugly:
Hmm... Absolutely nothing really!!

Some miscellaneous notes. I liked that they had various different snacks available for purchase in the room. The location is pretty decent, so there are plenty of places nearby for dinners if you find yourself on your own on an evening (and a grocery store across the street, although having been used to a mini suite with a stove, the store wasn't much help).

The bed was quite comfy, and I slept great, although I shudder at the pillows that look like they don't have shams that can be pulled off and washed (do people toss those on the floor? are they replaced after each guest?).

There were tons of electrical outlets, so I didn't have any problems charging the myriad of electronic devices (two phones, tablet, and laptop). This was definitely a plus. Also I didn't have to search around or crawl around on the floor to find these outlets. Bonus!!

I don't know if I'd love the Avante for a longer stay, but for two nights it was absolutely perfect! Definitely I'll book again for a short trip back to the Bay Area!

And again, major kudos and thanks to the hotel's staff for being so friendly and accommodating!

(It was especially funny... I left a tip and chocolates for housekeeping the first day, and when I got back to my room, SHE left me a note and chocolates! Hilarious!)

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (48)
Boise, ID
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 10, 2013

I really liked Hotel Avante. Clean, modern vibe. Fun touches in the room like an Etch-a-sketch, free breakfast, comfy bed etc. Met all my criteria.

Now, I only paid $110-ish or so a night, so it's pretty easy to like at that price. Don't think I'd be willing to pay $150/night for it.

Overall, great experience and I'll always look it up when I'm in Mountain View.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
California, Maryland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2013

We've stayed at the Avante several times and like it, the Avante has a hip feel and nice amenities. San Jose and surrounding area, like Mountain view, has many people staying in hotels during the week and many empty rooms on the weekend. Weekdays are expensive, weekends are a bargain. As a vegetarian, I really like the Amarin Thai restaurant.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
rld9, General Manager at Hotel Avante, a Joie de Vivre Hotel, responded to this review, February 27, 2013
I'm happy to hear you enjoyed your stay and thank you for the tip on the Amarin Thai Restaurant. You are correct that weekends do have the best rates! Hope to see you again.
Portland, Oregon
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 19, 2013

I had to go to San Jose for a funeral and needed to find a place for just an overnight stay. I liked the reviews, and Trip Advisor gave me a cheap rate. For the most part, or at least from my brief experience, they were accurate but...

I had a room on the first floor and heard a lot of noise from the lobby and was told I was fortunate the pool was closed because it would also have been really noisy outside my window. Apparently, the room location was the reason for the cheaper rate.

At midnight I was woken up by a TV that was so loud, I thought the set in my room had somehow turned itself on. It hadn't though. The sound was coming from the room next door, and it was more that the sound was just flowing through the locked adjoining door than being played at a volume you'd get at a movie theater. I called the desk and a few minutes later heard the phone ring next door and the fellow there saying, "Yeah, I'll turn it down," and he did. (That I could hear him so clearly was also a bit disturbing.)

If that kind of thing doesn't bother you, it is a fine place. I loved the room with the Etch-a-Sketch, Rubik's Cube and Tootsie rolls. The bathroom was large (shower pressure not great though) and the fellow behind the desk was exceedingly pleasant and helpful.

Room Tip: You probably don't want to be right by the lobby or the pool or have an adjoining room if you va...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
Mount Waverley, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 6, 2013

My husband and I lived in the area for 30+ years, now when we go back to visit, this is where we always stay. It has the amenities, location and great breakfast we enjoy. The rooms are quiet, (our number one priority), the beds very comfortable, the rooms are very clean and recently re-done, plus the wireless and great desk with Silicon Valley puzzles and Tootsie Roll touches gives a local vibe. The breakfast room is not large, however the food is tasty and fresh, and constantly replenished. The weekend rates are greatly discounted, a bargain for this pricey area.

Room Tip: Rooms on the 3rd or 4th floor are the quietest, whether they face the street or not.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
rld9, General Manager at Hotel Avante, a Joie de Vivre Hotel, responded to this review, March 12, 2013
Thank you for the positive feedback and so happy you enjoyed the hotel and it's extra touches. You also found the secret to a great rate-weekends! We look forward to your next visit with your daughter and us!
Miami, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 4, 2013

We picked this hotel because of it's high rating and close proximity to where our daughter lives in Mountain View since we wanted a place close by. The staff is so friendly and treats you like a special guest. I love the water with floating fruit, the coffee, and the everending bowl of tootsie rolls in the lobby. The rooms are very comfortable, great bed and fluffy robes. The handwritten notes from the housekeeping staff, along with the candy at night, are a special touch that I've never gotten from any other hotel. The breakfasts are delicious. I found the hotel very reasonable for everything that was included (internet, free parking, breakfast, and lots of tootsie rolls). We will stay here again when we come back to visit.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Zurich, Switzerland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 2, 2013

I stayed at Avante for 6 nights.
Pros:
- Location is conveniently close to 85 (connects to 101).
- Room was in excellent condition with stylish furnishment.
- Excellent breakfast buffet that starts at 5.30 during the week.
- Friendly staff.
- Stable Internet.
Cons:
- I like Coltrane, but in the breakfast room there was the same tune repeated in an endless loop.
- Room sizes are rather small for American standards.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business

Been to Hotel Avante, a Joie de Vivre Hotel? Share your experiences!