“Nice hotel but if noise bothers you....” 4 of 5 stars

Special Price
20% off room rate
Ranked #4 of 23 Hotels in Mountain View
Portland, Oregon
“Nice hotel but if noise bothers you....”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 19, 2013

I had to go to San Jose for a funeral and needed to find a place for just an overnight stay. I liked the reviews, and Trip Advisor gave me a cheap rate. For the most part, or at least from my brief experience, they were accurate but...

I had a room on the first floor and heard a lot of noise from the lobby and was told I was fortunate the pool was closed because it would also have been really noisy outside my window. Apparently, the room location was the reason for the cheaper rate.

At midnight I was woken up by a TV that was so loud, I thought the set in my room had somehow turned itself on. It hadn't though. The sound was coming from the room next door, and it was more that the sound was just flowing through the locked adjoining door than being played at a volume you'd get at a movie theater. I called the desk and a few minutes later heard the phone ring next door and the fellow there saying, "Yeah, I'll turn it down," and he did. (That I could hear him so clearly was also a bit disturbing.)

If that kind of thing doesn't bother you, it is a fine place. I loved the room with the Etch-a-Sketch, Rubik's Cube and Tootsie rolls. The bathroom was large (shower pressure not great though) and the fellow behind the desk was exceedingly pleasant and helpful.

Room Tip: You probably don't want to be right by the lobby or the pool or have an adjoining room if you va...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (38)
Mount Waverley, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 6, 2013

My husband and I lived in the area for 30+ years, now when we go back to visit, this is where we always stay. It has the amenities, location and great breakfast we enjoy. The rooms are quiet, (our number one priority), the beds very comfortable, the rooms are very clean and recently re-done, plus the wireless and great desk with Silicon Valley puzzles and Tootsie Roll touches gives a local vibe. The breakfast room is not large, however the food is tasty and fresh, and constantly replenished. The weekend rates are greatly discounted, a bargain for this pricey area.

Room Tip: Rooms on the 3rd or 4th floor are the quietest, whether they face the street or not.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
rld9, General Manager at Hotel Avante, a Joie de Vivre Hotel, responded to this review, March 12, 2013
Thank you for the positive feedback and so happy you enjoyed the hotel and it's extra touches. You also found the secret to a great rate-weekends! We look forward to your next visit with your daughter and us!
Miami, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 4, 2013

We picked this hotel because of it's high rating and close proximity to where our daughter lives in Mountain View since we wanted a place close by. The staff is so friendly and treats you like a special guest. I love the water with floating fruit, the coffee, and the everending bowl of tootsie rolls in the lobby. The rooms are very comfortable, great bed and fluffy robes. The handwritten notes from the housekeeping staff, along with the candy at night, are a special touch that I've never gotten from any other hotel. The breakfasts are delicious. I found the hotel very reasonable for everything that was included (internet, free parking, breakfast, and lots of tootsie rolls). We will stay here again when we come back to visit.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Zurich, Switzerland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 2, 2013

I stayed at Avante for 6 nights.
Pros:
- Location is conveniently close to 85 (connects to 101).
- Room was in excellent condition with stylish furnishment.
- Excellent breakfast buffet that starts at 5.30 during the week.
- Friendly staff.
- Stable Internet.
Cons:
- I like Coltrane, but in the breakfast room there was the same tune repeated in an endless loop.
- Room sizes are rather small for American standards.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Califonia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2013

Pleasant is the word for this hotel. It's location in Mt View, CA is great for business travel. But a little pricey for what you get for business travel. I suppose I don't appreciate the boutiqe hotel experience for a short stay. The staff, everyone of them, was friendly and courteous, didn't see a sullen face among them. The room was quite comfortable, the decor modern and clean. I felt very safe here. The breakfast was several notches above the usual hotel breakfast. Coffee, tea and lemon water were always available in the lobby. I checked in during the "wine and beer" hour and was told I could take a glass to my room, nice. This would be a great place for a friends weekend where you could use the pool, the fitness room and enjoy the property more.

Room Tip: Rooms to the front are little noisy from traffic on El Camino Real.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
rld9, General Manager at Hotel Avante, a Joie de Vivre Hotel, responded to this review, January 24, 2013
We are so happy you were pleased with the staff and hotel. Our rates are lower on the weekends and yes are higher during the week due to business travel. We hope to see you again.
Sunnyvale, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2013

We stay at this hotel all the time, and it's less than 1/2 mile from our home. We LOVE staying there as a family just to "get away" because we all feel like we're on a true vacation. The rooms are very chic-cool and very well loved by our teen daughters. The complimentary breakfast is really nice, the staff are incredibly friendly, and we feel amazingly well-cared for. It's as if we're celebrities, even though the room rates are always amazingly affordable (nobody is as "frugal" as we are). I've also stayed there with girl-friends, had my daughter's teen sleepover birthday party there, and gone for romantic getaway weekends with my hubbie. Amazingly enjoyable every time!

Room Tip: Make sure to ask for the comfy complimentary slippers. Not only will they send enough pairs to your...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
rld9, General Manager at Hotel Avante, a Joie de Vivre Hotel, responded to this review, January 15, 2013
We are pleased "locals" take the time to enjoy our hotel and thank you for the great review. We look forward to your next visit!
Vancouver, Washington
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 30, 2012

We got booked into this hotel by an independent travel site. We were satisfied with our stay, but from the get-go, it was obvious that this place isn't going to appeal to everyone. Here's the scoop:

This is an older hotel that has been reinvented with a boutique mid-century remodel. The inside nice and clean and feels contemporary with mid-century style. Unfortunately, not enough detail was paid to the exterior. It was mid-century, but didn't have the contemporary flair. If we had driven upon the hotel without an advance booking, we wouldn't have considered it an option. You can't judge the book by the cover.

The staff was very pleasant and helpful. Coffee and tea always out. Hospitality is excellent.

The rooms are clean with great bedding and absolutely fabulous toiletries. The toiletries were spa quality, as were the towels, robes, bedding, etc. There were some major details missed. The popcorn ceiling, as an example. There are a few things that really should have been done to give this place the full make-over. There are fridges in the room.

The breakfast was a typical chain breakfast, with a few exceptions that we found delightful. The first is that they always had fresh fruit. Not your standard red delicious apples, but fresh fruit. Every morning we had wonderful fresh pineapple, cantaloupe, watermelon, etc. Another bonus was greek yogurt. If you like greek yogurt, you know it can be hard to find in a hotel breakfast. An alternative juice was offered. When we were there it was citrus peach and it was delicious. The eggs, sausage and whatnot didn't appear to us to be an higher quality than your standard chain.

Yes we would stay here again, but we didn't love it. We liked it.

Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Hotel Avante, a Joie de Vivre Hotel? Share your experiences!