“Pleasant stay, staff and room” 4 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Wine Down at Hotel Avante
Ranked #4 of 23 Hotels in Mountain View
Califonia
“Pleasant stay, staff and room”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2013

Pleasant is the word for this hotel. It's location in Mt View, CA is great for business travel. But a little pricey for what you get for business travel. I suppose I don't appreciate the boutiqe hotel experience for a short stay. The staff, everyone of them, was friendly and courteous, didn't see a sullen face among them. The room was quite comfortable, the decor modern and clean. I felt very safe here. The breakfast was several notches above the usual hotel breakfast. Coffee, tea and lemon water were always available in the lobby. I checked in during the "wine and beer" hour and was told I could take a glass to my room, nice. This would be a great place for a friends weekend where you could use the pool, the fitness room and enjoy the property more.

Room Tip: Rooms to the front are little noisy from traffic on El Camino Real.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
rld9, General Manager at Hotel Avante, a Joie de Vivre Hotel, responded to this review, January 24, 2013
We are so happy you were pleased with the staff and hotel. Our rates are lower on the weekends and yes are higher during the week due to business travel. We hope to see you again.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (40)
Sunnyvale, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2013

We stay at this hotel all the time, and it's less than 1/2 mile from our home. We LOVE staying there as a family just to "get away" because we all feel like we're on a true vacation. The rooms are very chic-cool and very well loved by our teen daughters. The complimentary breakfast is really nice, the staff are incredibly friendly, and we feel amazingly well-cared for. It's as if we're celebrities, even though the room rates are always amazingly affordable (nobody is as "frugal" as we are). I've also stayed there with girl-friends, had my daughter's teen sleepover birthday party there, and gone for romantic getaway weekends with my hubbie. Amazingly enjoyable every time!

Room Tip: Make sure to ask for the comfy complimentary slippers. Not only will they send enough pairs to your...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
rld9, General Manager at Hotel Avante, a Joie de Vivre Hotel, responded to this review, January 15, 2013
We are pleased "locals" take the time to enjoy our hotel and thank you for the great review. We look forward to your next visit!
Vancouver, Washington
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 30, 2012

We got booked into this hotel by an independent travel site. We were satisfied with our stay, but from the get-go, it was obvious that this place isn't going to appeal to everyone. Here's the scoop:

This is an older hotel that has been reinvented with a boutique mid-century remodel. The inside nice and clean and feels contemporary with mid-century style. Unfortunately, not enough detail was paid to the exterior. It was mid-century, but didn't have the contemporary flair. If we had driven upon the hotel without an advance booking, we wouldn't have considered it an option. You can't judge the book by the cover.

The staff was very pleasant and helpful. Coffee and tea always out. Hospitality is excellent.

The rooms are clean with great bedding and absolutely fabulous toiletries. The toiletries were spa quality, as were the towels, robes, bedding, etc. There were some major details missed. The popcorn ceiling, as an example. There are a few things that really should have been done to give this place the full make-over. There are fridges in the room.

The breakfast was a typical chain breakfast, with a few exceptions that we found delightful. The first is that they always had fresh fruit. Not your standard red delicious apples, but fresh fruit. Every morning we had wonderful fresh pineapple, cantaloupe, watermelon, etc. Another bonus was greek yogurt. If you like greek yogurt, you know it can be hard to find in a hotel breakfast. An alternative juice was offered. When we were there it was citrus peach and it was delicious. The eggs, sausage and whatnot didn't appear to us to be an higher quality than your standard chain.

Yes we would stay here again, but we didn't love it. We liked it.

Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
New York City, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 28, 2012

Felt like got my moneys worth with extras to make the stay nice. Stayed for a weekend and as others have noted, staff is super nice. Included breakfast was better than expected. Amenities and modern touches make staying in an obviously older hotel nice. Comfortable room and beds. Would definitely stay again.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
Grapevine, Texas
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 20, 2012

The staff really seems to go out of their way to greet and ensure you have what you need during your stay. The accommodations were not bad but were not great either...just seemed a little out-dated in certain aspects while others seemed modernized.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
Hyderabad, India
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 6, 2012

I stay at this hotel primarily when visiting for work. They are close to most of the major offices in Mountain View and provide complimentary shuttles in case you need it.
They have a tasty breakfast spread but it lacks variety plus they have nothing in the other meals they can boast about.
The beds are comfy and the rooms are decent but they are super expensive.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Scotts Valley, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 1, 2012

I've stayed at the Avante twice now and I keep trying to stay somewhere else but other hotels in the area are always booked up ;-/.
Best thing I have to say is how helpful and friendly the staff all are.
Worst thing - and this may be just me - but the place smells very odd - from the front lobby, into the elevators, the room where breakfast is served, and into the two rooms I've stayed in. On a bad day I'd say it's a mix of furniture polish and dog muck. On a better say I'd say floor wax (but for the most part the floors are carpeted...).
The first time I stayed there for a week and the room was awful - it overlooked the road, was on a lower floor and was very dark even in full daylight. It was my own fault however as when I asked to move I was told all the other rooms away from the road were full but that I could move on the following day. When they came to help me with my stuff to move I then couldn't be bothered to make the change.
The second time I stayed there I asked (and paid) for a better room. This was on the 4th floor, overlooked the pool and had more natural daylight. A better deal all round.
The Avante has a free breakfast - which for a small hotel is very good - oatmeal, pastries, bagels, toast, cake, eggs, Asian food, tinned peach halves, pieces of fruit, granola and cereal, yoghurt etc.
The rooms are easy to reconfigure to your taste, have free wifi, a turn down service with candy, and in the second room I stayed in there was a selection of desk toys and games.
Given the choice, I'd stay in San Francisco at the CLIFT in a very nice room for the same money....I think the Avante is expensive for what it is but it's *in* Mountain View and if you're there on business it's got a free shuttle service and has an easy-to-get-to location.
Just wish they could do something about the smell.

Room Tip: Stay away from the road, on a higher floor.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business

Been to Hotel Avante, a Joie de Vivre Hotel? Share your experiences!