“Solid, Small and Central Hotel for Business in The Valley” 4 of 5 stars

Special Price
20% off room rate
Ranked #5 of 23 Hotels in Mountain View
New Westminster, Canada
“Solid, Small and Central Hotel for Business in The Valley”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 14, 2011

Another member of the generally funky Joie de Vivre hotel chain, the small Avante is centrally located for business in the Mountain View / Palo Alto area. Not too attractive from the outside, the rooms are generally tastefully furnished and the staff genuinely friendly and helpful. This was my second stay here in a few months and the experience has been consistent both times. For business travelers this hotel has everything you need and expect, but in a compact size with a bit more high touch service. It's good value for money and I will be back.

Room Tip: If your are on business, be sure to mention which company you are visiting - you may get an addition...
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (37)
Kenosha, Wisconsin
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 30, 2011

I had read some very conflicting reviews of this hotel, so I didn't really know what to expect. Apparently anyone can build up or sabotage a hotel in these reviews by submitting fake ones. So this is my first review of anything online, only because I feel so strongly about it.

Hotel Avante was a fantastic experience! My husband and I were attending a concert at Shoreline and stayed two nights. In every way we were impressed with the hotel and its staff. Upon arrival, check-in was smooth and easy. We had gotten a really good rate with some kind of discount, so when the desk clerk told me they needed our credit card to charge possibly an extra $50 for incidentals (honor bar items), I thought no wonder the rate was so cheap. I gave them the credit card and they said the $50 would be credited back to our account if we didn't spend it. I was still skeptical, but as of today--a week and a half later--no such charge has even appeared on our online credit card statement.

The room was clean, quirky, and comfortable. The bathroom had the cleanest snow-white grout I've ever seen in a hotel, or anywhere, for that matter. The shower was excellent with adequate water pressure. Both nights we came "home" to music we liked playing in the room, the bed turned down, and candy on the bed, along with a card telling us the next day's weather. The mattress was great, and although one pillow was too fat for my taste and the other was too flat, I folded the flat one and it was perfect. Breakfast was plentiful, items constantly being replenished, and excellent--everything we could want. Since we didn't have time to move the furniture around, play with the toys in the desk, or use the pool, we'll have to stay longer on our next trip to take advantage of these features.

The one problem we had during our stay, on the day of the concert, was that another party took the cab we had ordered. The desk staff promptly called us another cab and gave us bottles of water while we waited. It turned out to be no problem, and their assistance was much appreciated. Next time we hope to get on the shuttle list before it fills up.

We have stayed at much more expensive hotels and this one ranks the best of all!

• Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
Manchester
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 21, 2011

Like a lot of JDV hotels, the Avante is a recently refurbished hotel.

The service received at this hotel was great. Check in was very simple, and I liked the touches on the desk, such as a list of the receptionist's favourite things in the area. I received a call shortly after checking in to welcome me to the hotel and to check my room was ok, which it was.

I received an upgrade as a JDV member and the executive king room was spacious and clean. The El Camino Real road is busy outside, and you could hear it through the windows a little, but it didn't disturb us. The flat screen television had a reasonable selection of channels, and was comfortable to view from the bed. The bathroom was nicely arranged, with basics such as cotton bud and pads provided, the really nice JDV toiletries and good quality fittings (rain head on shower, funky taps on the sink)

Parking at the hotel was free, the WiFi was free and pretty fast when I used it. The breakfast buffet was pretty good, though I think another member of staff was needed to help her keep up with cleaning tables and restocking items.

Check out again was very quick and easy, with my bill emailed to me directly rather than having to wait for a printout.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
San Diego, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 3, 2011

I travel a lot to the San Francisco/San Jose area for work. The last thing I need is a constant reminder that I'm not at home snuggling with my cat and boyfriend. Thank goodness for this hotel!

Little things that this hotel does mean a lot to folks who travel all the time... ice water delivered to the room at night, happy hour with a cheese plate and nice wine or beer. Shoot, even the bottle opener, and coffee maker in the room are added bonuses! And the lovely staff leave little treats and a personal note behind thanking me for my business. Seriously, these people know how to make a gal feel welcome.

Sure, it's not a 5-star luxury resort. But it's clean, safe, creative environment for busy travelers.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled on business
Oakland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2011

I attend a 3-day conference in Palo Alto every year and usually stay at the conference hotel. This year I decided to try one of the other many, many, many hotels in the area. After much research I chose Hotel Avante. One of the first things I noted was how quiet it is. It is on El Camino, the busy thoroughfare, and I had a front room so this was significant. Since I was at a conference I had little time at the hotel, but I couldn't wait each day to get back and relax. I recommend taking a swimsuit as the heated, outdoor pool looked very nice. I mentioned to the staff that I had not brought a suit; they told me where a Marshall's was to pick up a spare and offered to extend my check out so I could get some swim time in. Alas, I did not have even a few hours in my schedule to do that. The hotel is 4 stories with 15-20 rooms on each floor. There is a small exercise room and a lounge. Nothing grand but that fits in with the size and style of the hotel. I didn't get a chance to try the breakfast as I was out each morning at 6 and weekend breakfast starts at 7 (during the week it's much earlier). I would definitely stay at the Avante again and I will try others in the Joie de Vivre chain. They take older hotels and redo them usually around a concept. You can take a "test' on their website that matches you to one of their hotels. All in good fun.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled on business
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 10, 2011

I booked the room with a queen through expedia. On the day of my check in called and asked for a early check in which was no problem, when I arrived they advised me that due to having the early check in they had to upgrade my room sweet! Super clean room, very nice pool area and great breakfast! The hotel is older but they have put some work in on this place to give it a real modern feel. I will be back!

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
Seneca, South Carolina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 8, 2011

Room was clean, came with everything you need for a stay. The nice touches included the glass of wine in the lobby and the hot breakfast. Wish I could have stayed longer!

Room Tip: My room overlooked the pool. Don't know about other views.
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled solo

Been to Hotel Avante? Share your experiences!