“Perfect Little Mount Shasta Chateau” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Shasta Inn

You added Shasta Inn to your Saves list
Shasta Inn
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   1121 S. Mt. Shasta Blvd., Mount Shasta, CA 96067 (Formerly Mount Shasta Hotel & Lodge)   |
Ranked #6 of 8 Hotels in Mount Shasta
GreenLeadersSilver level
A TripAdvisor Member
“Perfect Little Mount Shasta Chateau”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 26, 2006

We made reservations at this hotel out of necessity due to a last minute family gathering and needed a place that would take pets. THEN, I went on and read these reviews and got a little panicky.

Please allow me to say: this is Mount Shasta, not Manhattan, people!! It's a cute little mountain town with some quaint little cabiny type hotels. The Mountain Aire Lodge offered a room that was clean and comfortable, equipped with heater, A/C, small refrigerator and TV. Perhaps the rooms have been renovated since these reviews, because the room was very secure with deadbolt and private key cards. The windows were even new! Meanwhile, the staff were polite, welcoming and helpful. It didn't look like a $500/night luxury suite, but that's not what we expected (or paid for) during our stay in Northern California. Bright and early in the AM, we went out to the main building for our complimentary continental breakfast (coffee, tea, juice and pastries). Only then did we notice the NO Vacancy sign swinging lightly in the mountain breeze, so we must not be the only ones who thought they were doing something right.

And on top of all that, there is a beautiful view of Mount Shasta, which, even despite the summer temperatures is always covered in snow. Quite a fantastic site.

For those who are not expecting the President's Suite at Bellagio or the mini-bar in the Fairmont, you will not be let down. It's a great place for a short stint in Mount Shasta, especially if your beloved four-legged friend is along for the ride.

• Stayed June 2006

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (33)
Eureka, CA
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 29, 2006

When I rent a hotel room, I expect that six basic requirements will be met: I expect to feel safe, I expect to receive a clean room, I expect to be able to adjust the temperature controls to a comfortable level, I expect mechanical devices such as toilets and light bulbs to be in good working order, I expect polite and welcoming staff, and I expect the bed to be comfortable.

The Mountain Air Lodge failed on all counts. It looks like a 1950’s-era roadside motel. As you enter the room, you see old wooden furniture, a little battle-scarred, but that would have been OK as fitting the atmosphere of this mountain resort area.

As a single mom with a young daughter, I’m security-conscious. The room doesn’t have a secondary chain lock or security bolt. The lodge still uses metal keys with the room number stamped on it instead of anonymous and reprogrammable cards. As I entered the room on a freezing January evening, the heat had clearly been off all day. The interior temperature was probably in the 50’s. After an hour, I was still pacing the room wearing my ski jacket because the room was so cold. To give the lodge credit, I called the front desk and they promptly arrived with an ancient space heater, which cleared out the chill.

The stairwell closest to our room is exposed to the elements, and was extremely slippery during our icy stay. It would have been easy for either of us to slip and fall as we hauled our winter-heavy luggage up the stairs. We later discovered a covered stairwell – farther away, but safer.

The room obviously hadn’t been cleaned except to make the bed. I’m not sure that the sheets were actually changed. The top of the nightstand was sticky and the wastebasket still contained a number of empty liquor bottles. The bathroom sink obviously hadn’t been cleaned, either.

The mattress was sagging, and the two flat pillows were pretty limp. I tossed and turned all night. Heat doesn’t make it to the bathroom, so you can expect a chilly pre- and post-shower experience.

The front desk staff had a “take it or leave it” attitude. The front desk shuts down altogether sometime during the evening, so if you have a late-night issue to deal with, you’re out of luck. The lodge offers a “breakfast” of sweet rolls and coffee.

In my personal rating scheme, I offer bonus points for rooms with refrigerators and microwaves, or high-speed internet access. I prefer central heat with an adjustable thermostat over noisy window-mounted units. The Pine Tree Lodge doesn’t get any bonus points.

One positive note is that a number of people in our group enjoyed the outdoor hot tub after a long day of skiing.

• Stayed January 2006
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 30, 2005

Very low end, run down joint.For that matter, the whole area is a dump.So beware what u choose.Very rudimentary amenities. Avoid it if you can.Rated 0.5 star
TV hanging from the wall, that my tall hubby hit his head twice against the stand.Watch out.

• Stayed December 2005
Portland, OR, USA
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2005

We ended out staying here on a recommendation, although it turned out to be rather appauling. I had called ahead to make a reservation for the busy July 4th weekend -- and while there seemed to be a bit of a English language issue over the phone, had thought I'd been very clear that there were eight of us and we were interested in reserving two double rooms. I was quoted a cost of $174 for the two. However, on arrival, we found that only one room was reserved for us under my name -- and they were insisting that instead we rent an additional larger cabin with kitchen at additional cost ($235.00). Needless to say we were rather upset about this and felt very strongly that this was a scam; particularly as this room was unrented on a weekend when every other motel in town seemed to be full. Given the likelihood of finding accomodations for all of us to stay that evening, we eventually gave in.

The accomodations themselves were terrible -- it seemed like the rooms had not been used in some time and reeked of mildew when opened. We had to open all of the windows immediately on arriving. Two of the rooms of the cabin smelled strongly of smoke, had dead bugs left behind inside the window, and the cable for the television was literally taped to the wall. One of the bedsheets on the opposite side of the cabin was stained. I really would not recommend staying here if you have any other options.

• Stayed July 2004
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 14, 2005

We happed upon this Lodge over the weekend renting two rooms. The gentleman at the desk kept reminding us of the discount he was giving us. (even though we had never asked)

1. Their card key system was down. He let us into our rooms with a master key only to have to pick up our card keys upon return from dinner.

2. There was a two inch gap under my door which was fun trying to keep the heat inside the room. The bathroom was freezing cold and the heat did not circulate well into the bathroom area. The wall heaters in the bathrooms were gutted due to a previous fire.. but still.. it is freezing in there there during the winter weather.

3. Showers.. were interesting.. low shower heads and tight fitting enclosure. One of my folded towels had toothpaste on one side and lipstick on the other. Thank goodness I always bring my own large towels.

4. I had hot water the following morning for about four minutes and was suprised with the bite of ice cold water for the remainder of my shower. My friends bathroom had no hot water at all. After they pitched a fit.. management gave them a key to shower in another room.

No remote for the tv. No instructions on the phone. Have no idea if I was charged for local calls or what. No clocks. No clock radio... Small refrigerator but no mini micro nor mini coffeemaker...
Not a bad place but be prepared to have the bare basics of lodging... Within walking distance is a coffee house, liquor/fishing/snacks store, and Casa Ramos mexican restaurant. Food was pretty good. Nice atmosphere, friendly servers and bar w/tv for the sports fans!

Been to Shasta Inn? Share your experiences!