“Guide for a lifetime” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Jack Trout Fly Fishing

Jack Trout Fly Fishing
1004 SO. Mt Shasta Blvd., Mount Shasta, CA * Chile - Puerto Varas - Puerto Montt to San Martin, Argentina * Belize
+1 530-926-4540
Website
Improve this listing
Ranked #2 of 15 Attractions in Mount Shasta
Type: Tours, Adventure
More attraction details
Owner description: Since 1994, we have guided fly fishing on the Upper Sacramento River, McCloud River, Trinity River, Lower Sacramento River, Hat Creek, Pit River, Klamath River out of Mount Shasta, McCloud, Dusmuir & Redding, California. Float Trips and wade trips for beginners to advance, all gear included and stream-side gourmet lunch.
Los Altos, California
“Guide for a lifetime”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2010

I am 63 and have fished my entire life all over the world. I have fished with Jack Trout in the Shasta area for many years. I consider Jack one of the premier fishing guides that I have ever fished with and see myself fishing with him for the remainder of my life. Now my son Kevin, whom Jack has been one of his primary instructors, feels the same way. Jack is a professional. He knows the area he fishes better than any other guide on the same water. He fishes places, like the Upper Sac, where no other guides dare float. He knows what the fish are eating and where they live. If floating, he can place you in the most ideal spot for success on any given run and if wadding can get the most hook ups on any prime location on the river. Oh, did I mention that he is an outstanding cook and the lunch meal is an event worth waiting for. He is an outstanding guide and a really good solid person whom i always enjoy being around.

Chile
“Superbien Fly Fishing with Jack”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 1, 2010

I fished southern Chile during most of their summer, and on two occassions I fished with Jack, first in January and again in early April (actually early fall here). Jack has fished Chile for 15 years and knows the waters here better than anyone I have met. He and his wife, Carola, also provide first-rate accomodations and meals, and at an excellent value.

It being an el niño year, the rains persisted through January at levels far higher than normal. Thus, on my first trip, the rivers were high and difficult to fish, although we still got some trout. However, rather than take my money under these conditions, Jack suggested I return later in the year to use the rest of the fishing days I had booked under better conditions. A lot of guides would never consider this, but I gather that with Jack it is standard operating procedure.

When I went back in January, I also brought my girlfriend along, and we had a great time. We found good fishing in one of the local rivers Jack has cultivated (small nymphs under an indicator fished very well), and the food and companionship were also first rate. I recommend this trip strongly to both experienced anglers and those with less experience. Jack and Carola will see to it that you enjoy yourself in all cases.

San Francisco
“If you visit Mt. Shasta don't miss Jack Trout's tour”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 28, 2010

I visited Mt. Shasta for the first time last weekend. I didn't have the time to look at maps to see the beautiful outdoor sites, so I took Jack Trout's tour. Jack really knows all the coolest places to see in the Mt. Shasta area. He took me to some really beautiful spots such as waterfalls, incredible vistas and also showed me some of the best spots to fish. Jack also tells very interesting historical facts and stories about the area and he knows the best restaurants and places to stay. He is super friendly and knows everyone up there. I highly recommend his tour. I can't wait to go on another one soon.

Austin, Texas
“Great Guy and Fun Trip!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 21, 2010

We have found a friend for life in Jack Trout, and his lovely fiance, Carola! We spent 2 days fishing the San Pedro river with Jack in Chile. He completely outfitted our family, secured additional boats and guides to ensure we were all easily accomodated, and prepared a lavish lamb roast to end the day. It was a trip that we won't forget soon.

The weather was not perfect (a little rainy and mild), but everyone got their share of hits, even the novices who Jack personally escorted and tutored. My 12 year old daughter landed a nice rainbow, and the older boys both had good fights with larger fish. We had the river to ourselves and enjoyed a variety of fishing situations, as well as a nice lunch on the river banks. The boats and gear were great. In addition, Jack is a warm and engaging guide who wants you to have fun and catch fish, but without the pressure or slickness you find in other operations.

Make no mistake - this is not your average fishing guide operation. The "lodge" where we were housed is one of Jack and Carola's homes, but is clean, comfortable and they are extremely good hosts (remind them to turn on the hot water before you shower!). Their previous operation in Chaitan was wiped out by a volcano eruption in 2007, so this can be described as somewhat fledgling. But there is nothing fledgling about it once you get in the water and are hammering the fish. And the value is great!

We understand Jack guides trips in Mt. Shasta during the No. American summer, and we would definately sign up for one of those trips. As for fishing in Chile, we would highly recommend it and look forward to enjoying Jack and Carola's company in the future.