“We loved Inn at Morro Bay!” 5 of 5 stars

Inn at Morro Bay
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   60 State Park Road, Morro Bay, CA 93442   |
Ranked #19 of 29 Hotels in Morro Bay
Seekonk, MA
“We loved Inn at Morro Bay!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 11, 2012

We booked this hotel based on the positive reviews here on TA, and we're so glad we did.

We stayed at 8 different hotels on our Napa to Pismo beach PCH trip from Sept 29 to Oct 10th and the Inn at Morro Bay was definitely one of our favorites of the trip.

Driving onto the grounds of the property we were greeted with beautiful gardens and trees. Walking into the lobby area we were greeted by the friendly lady at the desk. (I wish I remembered her name and I'm sorry I don't, but she was very helpful and nice)

We were given a garden view room on the first floor. When we walked in the room we knew instantly that we wanted to stay another night at this inn. My husband immediately phoned the front desk and booked another night later in the week on our way back up the coast to SF. I don't think we've ever done that before. lol

Our first room was garden view our second room later in the week was full bay view, which was spectacular!

The rooms are well appointed and modern and other than the location and view they were pretty much identical in layout. The fireplace is a nice touch and sets a romantic mood. I really enjoyed the overall "feel" of the rooms, they were very warm and welcoming!

The bed is VERY comfortable and the wall of white plantation shutters keeps the room light and bright.
In the garden view room there was a counter area with sink and a fridge and coffee maker below. In the full view room there was a counter area but no sink, with a fridge and coffee maker below.

The bathrooms were small but how much time do you spend in there anyway? I've read some complaints about the lack of counter space in the bath and that is a slight issue but there is shelving less than 5' away in the closet so that worked out fine for us.

The pool and hottub area was fenced in and private...we pretty much had it to ourselves on the first night of our stay.

We dined at the restaurant the first evening and enjoyed our entrees very much. I had the shrimp cake sandwich and my husband had pasta with clams...both were very good.

Our second night we thoroughly enjoyed our full view room and would recommend spending the extra $$ to anyone considering a stay here. There is a bird sanctuary next door and we were entertained by the hundreds of different birds flying by and diving into the water to fish for their dinner. The sunset was spectacular also!

So in closing I would say if you're considering this hotel...I recommend you book it. You won't be disappointed. It has a lovely quiet location, it's very well appointed and clean and we had 2 very comfortable night stays here.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (132)
London, England
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 7, 2012 via mobile

I stayed here for a night while driving up the Pacific coast highway between LA and San Francisco. When I drove in to the car park I could tell I had picked a good hotel. My room was great and had a nice balcony looking out over the pool. The staff were extreme,y welcoming when I checked in and when I visited reception to get advice on where to go in town. I didn't eat in the hotel so can't comment on the other facilities but the room and staff were great. Would definitely stay here again.

Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
JohnIAMB, Director of Sales at Inn at Morro Bay, responded to this review, October 10, 2012
Thank you for posting such a nice review of your stay with us, we appreciate such positive feedback.

It is always our wish that our guests have an enjoyable and relaxing experience while staying with us and I am so glad to hear our staff met your needs.

We look forward to having you stay with us again!

Denver, Colorado
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 6, 2012

Morro Bay was the first stop of our Central Coast road trip the last week of September.

We arrived about 30 minutes before sunset. After checking in, we went to our room and discovered a wall of windows looking out over the bay. We strolled out onto the shared deck to watch the sunset as some tasty jazz wafted from the Inn's restaurant. It was a delightful, memorable arrival.

Our room was very nicely furnished, complete with a corner fireplace. Much of the property had been recently renovated, and the work was well done.

We did not try the Inn's restaurant -- we had dinner reservations at The Galley restaurant, and ate breakfast at Frankie and Lola's -- but we were delighted with the room, and the location of the property. (It is not, however, within reasonable walking distance of Morro Bay's quaint downtown.)

We'd stay at the Inn again in a heartbeat.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you for posting such a wonderful review of your stay with us.

It is always our wish that our guests have an enjoyable and relaxing experience while staying with us and I am very pleased that you enjoyed your room - it really is quite amazing to view the Rock at sunset from our Inn!

We look forward to having you stay with us again!

Canyon Country, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 29, 2012

When my boyfriend booked three nights at the Inn for a long-overdue getaway, I immediately checked TripAdvisor to see what other guests had to say. Many of the reviews were mixed and cited problems such as no shelving in the bathroom, ultra-thin walls, small rooms, so-so location, rude staff. Happily, when we arrived last weekend, I discovered all the wonderful things other reviewers had said! We arrived well before check-in, but Alice not only greeted us very warmly, but immediately began checking for available rooms. We were in no rush, so went into town and came back a few hours later to check into room 408. We had booked a "partial bay view" room, but when we opened the shutters, the entire bay and Morro Rock were in our sights. In addition to having a private patio, we had access to a large deck where there were rocking chairs perfect for soaking up the peace and quiet. The room was immaculate and very comfortable. The furnishings were in perfect shape, and all lights, locks, and appliances worked fine. While we had neighbors on either side and above, we truly did not hear them.

The only minor downside (and not enough of an inconvenience to reduce my ranking) is the lack of counter space in the bathroom. There is a large countertop over where the mini fridge and coffee maker are, so that sufficed.

The friendliness of the staff extended into the bar, which is also a wonderful place to watch the sunset (we had one clear day during our 3-night stay). Scott was attentive without being intrusive and took great care of us, and the happy hour drink and food specials are quite good. Naturally, they have a fine selection of local wines.

Location: The Inn is located within the State Park, but is only minutes away from the main part of town and the Embarcadero. I work in downtown Los Angeles, so being surrounded by trees and water really made for a true escape from reality!

We thought the room rates were very reasonable (we had spent almost double for a room in Cambria back in April), and cannot wait to go back.

Room Tip: Request a full or partial bay view on the first or second floors.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you for posting such a glowing review of your stay with us, we appreciate such positive and detailed feedback.

It is always our wish that our guests have an enjoyable and relaxing experience while staying with us and I am so happy that Alice met your needs so well.

We look forward to having you stay with in the future!

Burbank, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 26, 2012

We stayed 2 nights at this hotel last week and were so impressed we've made reservations again in early November. Room was #401 facing the water. East access from car to room. Room was beautiful! Fireplace, clean, well appointed. True, the hotel needs to have counter space in bathroom, as we had to put our toiletries on counter in the living area. But considering the view, access outside to deck, restaurant (loved the food) and friendliness of staff, we overlooked that one area. We travel quite a bit and for a CA coast hotel, we thought it was very reasonable. If you want the best room, go for lower or upper floors facing the water.

Room Tip: Select room overlooking water.
Shane K, Manager at Inn at Morro Bay, responded to this review, October 1, 2012
Thank you so much for taking the time to review the Inn at Morro Bay. I am very glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us, as we certainly enjoyed having you as our guests.

I really appreciate your input regarding the counter space, as that is something that we are currently addressing at this time. It is information like that, that allows us the opportunity to better our property, and in turn, offer you the best experience we can.

I am extremely pleased to hear that you will be returning in early November, and we look forward to seeing you again!

Shane Kumalac
Assistant General Manager
Reading, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 23, 2012 via mobile

After reading the reviews online we were a little apprehensive about our stay but it was lovely. The room was clean and had coffee making facilities and a decent shower. It wasn't the largest but perfect for a couple of nights. The views are amazing and the food was very good and reasonably priced in the restaurant. There was no noise, friendly staff and a stand by the sink for our wash kit! All round a good stay

Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Shane K, Manager at Inn at Morro Bay, responded to this review, October 1, 2012
Thank you very much for the glowing review of our hotel. I am pleased to hear that our facilities, staff and services were to your liking. We certainly strive to ensure that every guest's needs and expectations are not only met but exceeded. I thank you for giving us the opportunity to offer you our hospitality, and we look forward to seeing you again as our guest.

Shane Kumalac
Assistant General Manager
San Francisco, California
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 18, 2012

I recently stayed at the Inn at Morro Bay and was put in a room along the left side of their property. We were in town to visit family and stayed here due to its location being close to family, not so much its location near the water or its views, which was fine that our room did not have one--not a problem at all for us.

However, after having been out all day with family, we returned to the hotel to try to get some sleep and were greeted by sounds of our neighbor's sex. While I wish I could be more tactful about this, they were extremely vulgar and loud. I called the front desk and was told they would look into the sound.

As an aside: I travel frequently. I've had my share of both good and bad stays, but my standards are pretty low to make me happy (clean, quiet, and convenient).

Even by these standards, their noise was extremely loud. I know that I was not the only one who heard their romp session all night (until 2am) and this was confirmed when I called the front desk and just asked if I could have a room change for the next night, explained way, and told them that they could stick me in a broom closet (didn't need a view, etc) and they replied with moving us into some king suite with water views.

We left our bags in the new room and went out for the day. We returned again to discover that the roof of their waterfront rooms is also an observation deck for the public/guests to use. There was a large party on the roof that had small kids running around until well past 1am. It was a Saturday night though and many people were obviously on vacation with their families, this I can understand. However, at 530 in the morning, tourists were both on the roof and outside our door taking pictures, talking with their families, and running on the observation deck.

I think there's a reasonable expectation that an observation deck wouldn't be put on top of a guests rooms, so I can't hold it against the people both in the morning or in the evening.

The rooms are nice, clean, and the location is great. My low marks for this hotel resides in their service. When we checked out, I again expressed my disappointment in the noise until 1am and at 5am. I was told "Well we upgraded you to a suite, I don't see what the problem is." The problem was that I asked for a quiet room. I didn't care for the suite, nor were any of its facilites used (outside of the bed) and when we were provided a room move, all I asked for was a quiet room and was assured that I would be given one.

The person sitting at the desk next to the person who checked us out asked for a recap and was provided the same information. She apologized, acknowledged that the noise the first night was a problem, and told me that if I followed up with their Front Office Manager, they would work to resolve the situation. I was given his contact information, and we departed back to the Bay Area.

I wrote to their manager and was never given a real or automated reply.

Their location is great, and I believe that gives them room to be less than great in other areas. Specifically service. They set my expectations and failed to meet them. They promised a quite room for us and instead tried throwing an upgrade at us. They promised further resolution to the problem and failed to follow up on this promise. Please avoid if you are a frequent traveler with basic expectations of service and quality.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
JohnIAMB, Director of Sales at Inn at Morro Bay, responded to this review, September 21, 2012
Thank you for posting such a thorough review of your stay with us, we appreciate such detailed feedback.

It is always our wish that our guests have an enjoyable and relaxing experience while staying with us and I apologize that we did not meet your expectations in this and that noise was an issue for you which prevented you from relaxing during your stay.

Please let me know if you ever decide to come back we’d love to have the opportunity to make a better experience for you next time.

Director of Sales

Been to Inn at Morro Bay? Share your experiences!