“Average” 3 of 5 stars

You added Morro Bay Sandpiper Inn to your Saves list
Morro Bay Sandpiper Inn
2.0 of 5 Motel   |   540 Main Street, Morro Bay, CA 93442   |
Offers & Announcements
2 Free Aquarium Tickets !
Ranked #18 of 29 hotels in Morro Bay
“Average”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2013

Morro bay is a lovely place and everyone we met was really helpful and friendly but its like being in a different world. We drove up in 104 degrees but 3 miles out we hit the mist and lost visibility, sun and heat. The inn is really central and you can walk to ever thing you need. The room was clean and wifi easy to access and appreciated. There was a fridge and coffee machine. All you need for a short stay. However breakfast was dismal. We didnt bother. Went to bakery on waterfront instead.

• Stayed August 2013
Mihir P, Manager at Morro Bay Sandpiper Inn, responded to this review, September 18, 2013

181 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (50)
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2013 via mobile

An older motel but the room was clean and comfortable with plenty of towels coffee machine and well stocked bathroom
A problem with the TV was fixed promptly by a pleasant young man and we had a good night's sleep listening to the seals in the bay

Hello There,

That TV had a life of its own on that day. I am glad we got it taken care of. Have a wonderful day ahead and we hope to see you next time.

central valley, CA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2013

The room was spotless which I appreciate more then more modern furniture. The location was great and the area was really quiet which we appreciated.
The bed was really comfortable. We stayed in May and will be coming back.

Room Tip: If you want a fancy motel room it is not for you. It is very clean and quiet the furniture is a bit...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple

4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2013 via mobile

My wife & I stayed here this past weekend. It was worth every penny. My only concern was the stain on the carpet at the entrance of the room. Run a shampooing machine and there would be no issue. I like a firm bed and fluffy pillows, this place meets my bed requirements. The water was HOT, with the number of rooms on the property, up anticipated a hot water issue. There was also free WiFi, but I suggest you you use your cellular provider if you are using your smartphone, laptop or tablet, its may be a bit slow. one can not fault the hotel, could be the bandwidth of the ISP.
We love family businesses, this place DEFINITELY is that. The owners were kind. The older man, I, guess he was the father of the owner, was awesome. I would stay here again. The continental breakfast had muffins from Costco, there was freshly cut fruit, great coffee and cold cereal. If you are looking for a place to stay, pick this place. Don't give your money to La Quinta or EconoLodge down the street. Keep money local.

Hello There,

I am glad that you like the family businesses after all that is what keeps the city and america going.
Have a wonderful day ahead and we hope to see you next time.

Paris, France
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2013

We stayed here one night and it was more than perfect. The only thing I'd make a negative comment on is the breakfast (which we didn't have because it was more than basic, almost non-existent: just juice, coffee in the reception area which is very small. The non-existent breakfast is a shame. But the room (upper floor) was very clean.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Hello There,

Thank you so much for your kind words. Thank you for the breakfast input I will most definitely look into it. I truly appreciate it as well as our staff. Have a wonderful day ahead and we hope to see you next time.

Sonora, California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 18, 2013

I don't know where the other reviewers stayed, but it couldn't have been the Sandpiper Inn where we stayed last weekend!

When I hear the word "Inn" I think of an establishment that is pleasant, clean, and which provides adequate lodging for the traveler. Our room was one of the most dismal we've ever encountered. It was in a serious state of disrepair and in need of refurbishment. The desk chair upholstery was ripped and had the stuffing coming out of it, and someone had put a mismatched kitchen chair pad over it to hide that. Trouble was, the chair pad was in no better shape--threadbare wiith stuffing protruding. The clothes hook on the interior bathroom door was loose and sagging, and the old and decrepit wooden shelving pieces in the bathroom sink area had chipped paint and were not clean. The two side chairs in the room had white pillow cases covering the upholstered seats--I did not care to investigate what was underneath those pillow cases. It was obvious that the tub/shower used to have a glass door enclosure around it. Someone made a slip-shod effort to paint areas of the tub that were left with scratches, mars, and screw holes, and the paint did not cover whatever they were trying to hide. It was applied so carelessly that the spots shone through. The bed was not saggy, but it was so spongy and soft that both my husband and I could hardly walk the next day due to lack of any back support. It took several days for my back to recover.

Now on to the so-called continental breakfast. There were what looked like Costco muffins quartered and placed in a plastic storage drawer item that one might find in an office setting. The muffins were not wrapped in any way--just stuck in that drawer for what looked to be several days. Not knowing who might have handled those muffins (changed their minds, etc.) previous to me, I wouldn't have touched them. There was a pitcher of some kind of orange liquid. My husband took a glass (the pitcher did not have a good pouring lip and some of the liquid splashed into the aforementioned drawer of muffins which was left open) and he mentioned that it made Tang taste good! We retreated from the miniscule "breakfast area" (right next to the check-in desk) where no more than two people could stand, and took a pass on it.

We were originally reserved at the Sandpiper Inn for 2 nights, but because our plans changed we cancelled one of them. What a fortuitous stroke of luck THAT was!! Friends of ours stayed there as well, as we all had a reunion in the area. The state of their room was identical to ours--ours wasn't just the odd room that was in a state of disrepair.

I know that lodging is expensive in Morro Bay, but the cost to endure this dive was $100+ after tax. We will NEVER stay here again, that's for sure. For a few more dollars I'm sure that one could secure a room that is actually habitable. Too bad we believed the reviews here on Trip Advisor!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
Mihir P, Manager at Morro Bay Sandpiper Inn, responded to this review, August 19, 2013
Hello there,

Wow it seems like you have had a very bad and long day. I am sorry for all the "negative" things you have seen during your trip here. I would just like to say God bless you and have a "positive" day ahead.

Thank you.
Mojave, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2013

I have been staying at the Morro Bay Sandpiper Inn (formally known as the Rodeway Inn) for a few years.. The people who manage this motel, as well as the rest of the staff, are very pleasant to deal with. We were given a room (#3) with a beautiful view of Morro Rock. The rooms were nice and clean. We were greeted with a pleasant smile and handshake. The price was very good, considering this was their busiest time of the year. I couldn't give more praise than that..The continental breakfast was nice, as well...Their tips on good places to eat were right on the money.. Sandpiper Inn will always have my business when I travel to, and around Morro Bay...Thanks again for the nice accommodations...

Room Tip: All rooms are good...#'s 1-4 have nice views of the rock, as well as the floor above it...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Hello There,

Thank you so much for your kind words. I truly appreciate it as well as our staff. Have a wonderful day ahead and we hope to see you next time. I will have more tips on better places to go that will be the biggest bang for your buck! Enjoy!

Sandpiper Staff

Been to Morro Bay Sandpiper Inn? Share your experiences!