“A clean, well appointed, reasonably priced option” 4 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Free WiFi
Ranked #10 of 29 Hotels in Morro Bay
California
“A clean, well appointed, reasonably priced option”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 17, 2013

I stay a few times each year at the Blue Sail Inn since I have family in the area. I am always a bit surprised at other reviews and their somewhat negative comments. I have tried other motels in Morro Bay, but I like the motel very much, continuing to return for 10 plus years. Their rates are more consistently reasonable even on holidays. I appreciate the cleanliness, the fitted sheets, the ample towels, nice toiltetries, friendly staff. If you stay in the annex as I did, then on a rainy night you can park under the building (street level) and go up the elevator to your room. My favorite rooms are the city view, two queen ( no doubles here that I know of.) The price is right plus the annex rooms have the type of in-room forced air heater I like and not a gas wall heater as so many motels in Morro Bay have and possibly some of the Blue Sail rooms. The staff has always been friendly and accomodating. The location is scenic and convenient, plus I like the architectural style and decor of the hotel -- fitting with the marine environment. A good, solid choice for this town.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (40)
Rochester, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 28, 2012

The Inn fitted in with the slightly out of date motel style of all the hotels in Morro bay. The family room we had with two double beds was a good size, fairly large with comfortable beds. If you listen carefully you can hear the sea lions from your room. Breakfast wasn't very amazing but was free, the biggest complaint would be the room it was served in was cramped and not cosy or relaxing at all. This hotel was ok for a one night stop over but I wouldn't recommend staying there any longer than this.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Bruxelles
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 15, 2012

The hotel was perfectly located for a stopover between LA and SF. The rooms in the annex-building were clean and comfortable with a private balcony and a great view on Morro Rock. Breakfast was cheap especially for the price of the room, which wasn't exactly cheap. But the big disaster was the Wifi connection. There is no Wifi coverage in the annex building. My husband went to the reception and they told him to come to the lobby, where there were only two chairs to sit, if we needed a connection. So the only correct word is "No WiFi connection in the room" . Wouldn't consider staying again if I was in the area again.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Fresno, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 19, 2012

We upgraded the room to a large suite with ocean and bay views. The view was outstanding and the room was very nice. The following morning we went to the continental breakfast. At first we thought we possibly didn't know where everything was, it was so sparse. I asked a staff member and was told what we saw was it. There were a couple of muffins and one danish and a few slices of bread. None of which was fresh. Also there was a cereal and oatmeal choice and some oranges. They had orange juice and coffee. We had the OJ and coffee and a muffin. Later in the day we bought some pastries and fruit to have in the room the following morning and skipped the provided "breakfast." Too bad as it was a nice hotel. It's nice to save some money by not having to purchase breakfast also.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Limassol, Cyprus
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 15, 2012

a very spacious clean and well equipped room on the other side of the main building. very friendly and efficient reception staff. excellent location just a 3 mins walk to the harbor and seafront with all its restaurants and shops. great view over the village onto the pacific.
have not used the restaurant as the village is so close.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
San Francisco, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 7, 2012

Read quite a few good reviews about this place, so booked 1 night mid-week. The lady at the front desk was cordial and friendly. I thought I was getting a balcony room with ocean view. Read on their web site that many rooms have a balcony. However, I was given a room with no balcony and no ocean view. Instead, it looked at the back of some other hotels and had no balcony. I asked to get a balcony room, but it was an additional $80 for one night, so I passed. They remarked "we usually don't give the balcony rooms to Expedia customers". Ah, so that's it, lol.

Room was large, bed was hard, continental breakfast same as Motel 6 pretty much.

No pool. Small jacuzzi but did not use it.

I think I'd pass and keep looking unless I was willing to pay the extra for a "balcony with ocean view" room.

Room Tip: Make sure it's a balcony ocean view and don't get the "City View" rooms unless you...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
Surbiton, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 26, 2012

We drove up the Pacific Coast Highway from LA, aiming to overnight in San Lius Obispo, but when we got there it didn't look like somewhere we wanted to stay, so we looked at the map and thought "Morro Bay sounds like it might be nice". So we pushed on for another 20 minutes, and as soon as we arrived we liked the look of the town.

We parked the car to get out and see if we could find a room, and immediately wondered what the strange noise was that we could hear. We soon realised it was the seals, who have taken up residence on a pontoon in the lagoon. They lie there, barking happily throughout most of the day (and much of the night). Well that was enough to convince us. Morro Bay is one of the nicest places we've ever been. The rock, the lagoon (from where you can take a whale watching tour), and the bars, shops and restaurants are all wonderful.

We stayed at the Blue Sail, and the room was very nice. Not too fancy but clean, comfortable and a nice size. It also had a balcony overlooking the seafront. What an amazing place to watch seals and sunsets.

You can walk from one end of the town to the other in less than 10 minutes. A tiny little town, but incredible beauty and the locals are super friendly.

We went for drinks at the Embarcadero Grill, which has a dizzying array of local and imported beers, which the barman was very knowledgable about. We chatted and drank and then went for a meal at the Galley Seafood Grill, which was incredible. As good a seafood meal as I've had anywhere. The shellfish was so fresh you could taste that it had been caught that same day.
The waiter was friendly, chatty and helpful. The prices were awesome. I would eat there every day if I lived locally.

The hotel staff were great, the price good and the room clean and a decent size. Plenty of parking available too. I would imagine most of the places to stay and eat in Morro Bay are good, but I can certainly vouch for the Blue Sail, and for the bar and restaurant we visited.

One of our favourite places on the entire trip (we travelled all over New England, California, Nevada and Arizona). Well worth a visit, you won't be disappointed.

Room Tip: We had a balcony room overlooking the bay. There is another property across the road but I don't...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Blue Sail Inn? Share your experiences!