“It is what it is” 2 of 5 stars

Ranked #4 of 29 Hotels in Morro Bay
uk
“It is what it is”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 20, 2013

Old type single story motel, you know the type. very old fashioned, and not in a good way. The bathroom was tacky and not very clean, although everything was so old it would be hard to make it look clean. Walls are thin so bring earplugs in case you have noisy neighbours. I didn't like the mouldy smell either. I know you may think that it would be quaint to stay here, but think about it!

Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
sundownmotel, Manager at Sundown Inn, responded to this review, September 25, 2013
Dear maryc82,

We regret that your experience was not what you hoped for at the Sundown Inn. As the managers, we take pride in personally inspecting every room daily to ensure that each room is clean for our guests with the hope of exceeding every guest’s expectations of our motel.

We welcome your detailed feedback over email or on the phone as we value the opinions of our guests. It is important to us that we understand your perspective so that we can provide better service to our guests. Thank you for your feedback and consideration.

Ann L.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (29)
  • Polish first
Oslo, Norway
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 18, 2013

We spent two nights in Morro Bay, and were absolutely delighted with Sundown Inn. The room was spacious, the bathroom ok and we had a frigde and a coffee maker in the room. Everything is 2 blocks away in this town, the centre, the breakfast place, the off licsence, massage place, the laundromat - we loved it!
This is absolutely value for money, and the owner was very helpful and also gave us a discount for the local breakfast place, which served a super nice breakfast. I would definetely stay here if I ever found myself travelling to Morro Bay again :)

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
Boston, Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 18, 2013

I am extremely spoiled when it comes to hotels and live around 240 nights per year in top hotels around the world traveling on business. I usually prefer big chain hotels since they give me upgrades, free nights etc. I checked tripadvisor for hotels in Morro Bay and this small motel stuck out immediately due to the great reviews for budget motel. I am very happy that I gave it a shot and highly recommend this unique little refuge of tranquility. It felt like staying over at my moms guest room for a couple of nights. I enjoyed chatting with the owners - A genuinely friendly couple from Taiwan that keeps their motel in pristine condition while running a successful business with obvious pride since more than 30 years. The rooms are spacious enough, quite comfortable, interestingly stylish (Miss Marple would love it) and really very cozy - they simply have a good atmosphere. The wifi was actually faster than in most big hotels, TV channel selection was good, the shower was nice and the antique massage bed function worked amazingly great. The fridge and microwave were a plus. Owner gave me extra coffee, coupons for breakfast discount at restaurant around the block and a lot of kind hospitality. Two minute walk to waterfront district with all the restaurants, cruises, kayak rentals; two minute drive to the park and 15 minute walk to the rock. Perfect stay for $65 per night - thank you very much/xie xie ni. I will be back.

Room Tip: The walls are a little bit thin - try to stay at corner room or change room in case of noisy neighbo...
Tustin, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 16, 2013

This is what budget travel should be all about. A beautiful, sparkling little motel in a charming seaside town. I travel to Morro Bay regularly and simply love the Sundown Inn. It's cute, very clean, close to everything, and has outstanding management.

The decor is very nice. Flat screen TVs with wifi that actually works. The shower is great!

I like to check in - rest for a bit- then walk down to the waterfront. Morro Bay is slower and feels more relaxed than the other seaside towns. I cannot recommend a place more highly. You won't be disappointed. Enjoy the quiet.

san diego
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 16, 2013

Our plan was one or two nights in Morro Bay, then 3 nights in Pismo Beach. We ended up staying 4 nights at the Sundown Inn and took day trips north to Cambria, hiked along the coast in the state park Montana de Oro and great beach walks. We left for Pismo after 2 nights, spent one night there, then returned to this hotel for 2 more nights. It seemed to be a dividing line from a southern California feel (Pismo) to a central coast, more rural feel (Morro Bay). The owners of this hotel are very nice, it felt more like a bed and breakfast atmosphere. The location is downtown Morro Bay, and the price is truly a bargain. I felt like we went back 20 years in time.......

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
Ft. Lauderdale, Fl
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 15, 2013

This was a nice place to stay on our way up the coast. The owner Ann, couldn't have nicer and extremely helpful when it came to getting around. Only a short distance to the water. Enjoyed our stay and would go back again.

• Stayed September 2013
Baltimore, Maryland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 15, 2013

I was a solo traveler and I stayed for about 5 nights after discovering it on Trip Advisor. I actually really adored this little motel! The decor may be a little vintage but it adds to the charm, in my opinion. I loved the little details such as the decorations surrounding the mirror as well as the real glass tea cups. As everyone else mentioned, this place is super clean! The owners were very friendly and would ask me how everything was going when we saw one another outside.

Bear in mind that this is an older motel so cars are parked right outside of your window. Well a couple of the nights I was there, a loud diesel truck started up around 5-6am and it woke me up each time. This was just an annoyance more than anything. Clearly not something the motel owners can control.

The room was pretty small, but it was perfect for me. I'm not a picky traveler and I was gone the majority of the time anyway.

If you're looking for something like a Hilton - look elsewhere. This is a perfect no frills, clean place in a wonderful location.

By the way, try Top Dog (coffee shop) just up the road from the Sundown Inn! They have a great selection of food and beverages!

• Stayed September 2013, traveled solo

Been to Sundown Inn? Share your experiences!