“perfect place to stay in Morro Bay” 5 of 5 stars

Sundown Inn
640 Main Street, Morro Bay, CA 93442   |
Ranked #5 of 29 Hotels in Morro Bay
san diego
“perfect place to stay in Morro Bay”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 16, 2013

Our plan was one or two nights in Morro Bay, then 3 nights in Pismo Beach. We ended up staying 4 nights at the Sundown Inn and took day trips north to Cambria, hiked along the coast in the state park Montana de Oro and great beach walks. We left for Pismo after 2 nights, spent one night there, then returned to this hotel for 2 more nights. It seemed to be a dividing line from a southern California feel (Pismo) to a central coast, more rural feel (Morro Bay). The owners of this hotel are very nice, it felt more like a bed and breakfast atmosphere. The location is downtown Morro Bay, and the price is truly a bargain. I felt like we went back 20 years in time.......

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (30)
  • Polish first
Ft. Lauderdale, Fl
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 15, 2013

This was a nice place to stay on our way up the coast. The owner Ann, couldn't have nicer and extremely helpful when it came to getting around. Only a short distance to the water. Enjoyed our stay and would go back again.

• Stayed September 2013
Baltimore, Maryland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 15, 2013

I was a solo traveler and I stayed for about 5 nights after discovering it on Trip Advisor. I actually really adored this little motel! The decor may be a little vintage but it adds to the charm, in my opinion. I loved the little details such as the decorations surrounding the mirror as well as the real glass tea cups. As everyone else mentioned, this place is super clean! The owners were very friendly and would ask me how everything was going when we saw one another outside.

Bear in mind that this is an older motel so cars are parked right outside of your window. Well a couple of the nights I was there, a loud diesel truck started up around 5-6am and it woke me up each time. This was just an annoyance more than anything. Clearly not something the motel owners can control.

The room was pretty small, but it was perfect for me. I'm not a picky traveler and I was gone the majority of the time anyway.

If you're looking for something like a Hilton - look elsewhere. This is a perfect no frills, clean place in a wonderful location.

By the way, try Top Dog (coffee shop) just up the road from the Sundown Inn! They have a great selection of food and beverages!

• Stayed September 2013, traveled solo
San Diego, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2013

It's surprisingly clean given the old-fashioned decor. Really nothing to complain about but don't expect an unforgettable journey back in time. I would recommend it for a one-night stay in Morro bay but the real question is: do you really need to stay in Morro Bay?

• Stayed September 2013
Vancouver
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2013

We were just looking for a clean place to stay as we were on a roadtrip. Looked up some tripadvisor reviews and decided for this place, it was dirt cheap, around $60 the night I think. Of course, for that price, don't expect any designer furniture, etc but it was very comfortable, very clean and the service was prompt. The bathroom seemed like it had been renovated recently. I would not spend a whole vacation at this place, but for a one night stop while on a roadtrip it's perfect!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Epsom, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2013

Located towards the end of Main Street and just a couple of streets back from the waterfront, this single-storey motel is well placed for the shops and eateries this pleasant town has to offer.

As other reviewers have said, the decor is somewhat old-fashioned in style but is fresh and bright, so presumably quite new. The room was very clean and well equipped - fridge, coffee-maker, microwave, TV and a table and chairs. As the rooms are not particularly large, this makes them rather "cosy", but that wasn't a problem for us. The only negative was that the walls are very thin - you definitely will hear the neighbours! The owners were very welcoming and friendly.

Be sure to see the motel's website and take advantage of the Sun-Thu special price which makes this place good value for money as we did - I probably wouldn't feel it was such good value if I were paying full price.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2013

First time in Morro Bay for my lady & I. We didn't have a destination in mind on the coast and just picked Morro Bay off the map and glad we did. If you come in from Sequoia as we did, avoid the main route via Paso Robles and stay on CA 41- beautiful scenic drive through farmland, lots of twisty roads - would have been perfect in the MinI! Anyway, in Morro Bay we picked the Sundown Inn based on TA reviews and, again, glad we did. Very friendly owners - been running the place for 30 years, most customers are repeats and they focus on a clean. comfortable hotel at a reasonable rate. Sounded good to me. Sure it looks like an older motor court motel - because that's what it is!! We had room 16 - very clean, not huge but hey it's just for sleeping right? Shower worked well - albeit it would be a bit of a squeeze for quite a few super-sized citizens. Bed was comfortable. Real china tea cups! And the Magic Fingers - what a hoot - plus it worked. My lady from NL had never heard of them before so I dropped a quarter in and we laughed and then - I dropped another quarter in.

Anyway, great spot to stay. Short walk to Embarcadero and some fine restaurants. While you are there be sure to watch the fishing boats unload - the pelicans stealing squid was hilarious! Enjoy.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Sundown Inn? Share your experiences!