“Very Good Choice in Morro Bay” 4 of 5 stars

You added La Serena Inn to your Saves list
2.5 of 5 Hotel   |   990 Morro Avenue, Morro Bay, CA 93442   |
Ranked #14 of 29 hotels in Morro Bay
Ventura, California
“Very Good Choice in Morro Bay”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2012

La Serena met our expectations. We chose the hotel based on reviews by other travelers and we were not disappointed. The rooms were good size and very clean. Front desk staff were friendly and helpful.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
mamamorro, G.M. Assistant at La Serena Inn, responded to this review, August 1, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to post your kind review. We look forward to your next stay.

Happy Travels,

179 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (31)
Lodi
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2012

We booked this trip for a weekend getaway to sleep in, sit on the balcony and enjoy the ocean views. I booked a suite with an ocean view. The receptionist was very sweet. Our room was clean but very aged and worn with tears in the couch and large holes in the curtains. Our refrigerator was not plugged in nor was the bedside lamp. We had to move furniture and plug in the items.

We were awoken at 7:15 am to construction noise right below our balcony. The balconies and rooms on the one side back up to bank and parking lot. Apparently, the bank decided to have their landscaping redone on a Saturday morning. There was a construction crew using pick axes to break the concrete, redo the irriagation drips and plant new landscaping. So not only were we not able to sleep in we weren't able to sit on our balcony for most of the day due to the noise and dust. Since this was our plan for our visit I was very disappointed. I called the front desk and the receptionist was nice but said there was nothing she could do. She also added this had happened before and the bank had agreed not to start construction until 10:30 am but obviously this was not the case. Said she also called the manager and reported it. We were not compensated in any way, even a note when have been sufficient! The hotel is also on a pretty busy street and we heard the noise from the traffic and bank customers, too. The hotel does not appear to have soundproofing.

We didn't care for breakfast buffet either lots of kids picking through continental breakfast items. Also had yelling kids running up and down halls and in stairwells. The evening reception consisted of cider and cookies not wine and cheese as others have reported. I also chose this property because of the secure setting and everytime we went downs the stairs the door to the stairwell that went to the street was propped open! We saw people in the stairwells that did not appear to be staying on the property.

We loved Morro Bay, which is a sweet little coastal town with a beautiful beach area but won't stay at this property. Cannot recommend at all due to noise and security issues.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
mamamorro, G.M. Assistant at La Serena Inn, responded to this review, July 23, 2012
The staff at the La Serena Inn was sad to read of your less than enjoyable stay with us. Unfortunatly there are some things out of our control, such as when the bank decides to do thier landscaping. Our little seaside town fills up with happy families vacationing in the summer and it can get noisy at times. We are sorry you were misinformed regarding the serving of wine and cheese, but you are correct we do serve cider and cookies every evening. Please be assured that we take the security of our guests and staff very seriously. There are cameras throughout the property that monitor the comings and goings of anyone on site. Often times our guests will be on the stairwells checking out the view.
Regardless we wish you pleasant journeys and hope to see you again.
Los Angeles, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2012

We were quite satisfied with our stay at this little hotel. The location is very accessible - just a couple of blocks away from the stores and places to eat. The interior could use a little updating but who needs to stay indoors if you have the a scenery to enjoy. Morro Bay is a very nice place to get away from city. Not very from LA or San Fran - nice place to do a quick weekend trip.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends
mamamorro, G.M. Assistant at La Serena Inn, responded to this review, July 17, 2012
The La Serena Inn was happy to read of your pleasant stay with us. We couldn't agree more...Morro Bay is a great place to get away to. We'll be here for you on your next trip through our beautiful area.

Happy travels
Detroit, Michigan
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2012

We were driving from LA to SF and thought to stop by The Rock. I called the place en route and was told that a two bed suite with a sofa is available. I was quoted a standard room price and a suite price. I reserved and arrived shortly after. Got my paperwork done and on my way up to the room. Kids were excited....until they entered the room to see that it was not a suite. It was a regular handicapped room with two beds. I called the front desk and told her there was no sofa and that it was NOT a suite. She insisted that it was. Even the map that she gave me for the facility labeled some rooms as suites and this was not one of them. She said she has been trained to call such rooms suites. We have been living out of hotels for almost ten days and travel not only within the states but globally as well. After I insisted she finally said that she knows it is not a suite but she has to say it because that is what she has been trained to say. So in the end she gave me a "free roll away bed" to make up for her misleading information. Btw, when I inquired about the "real suites" labeled on the hotel map she said all of the stated suites were occupied. So she lied to me on the phone and told me she has available suites and quoted the price for it. Later she said they took the sofa out of it. I don't think so....because it is a handicapped room. There is no way that there was ever a sofa in here...

The TV in the room must be at least 20 years old. As she was pulling the roll away bed she told me there were no more pillows. She said that the pillows on our bed should be enough. I bit my tongue out of regard. The price she qouted me for suite was way overprice for the standard room. For this price I can go to a fancy place. And I did in San Diego and and LA.

Later as I was getting ready for bed I could not find a towel I could feel comfortable putting on my face. They were tints of all kinds of shades. Not a single one was white. Definitely cheap quality too.

The balcony is so tiny I had to stand behind my husband to get a view.

They serve breakfast so at night since we were to tired we thought we could just ask them for a cup of milk for the baby and they told us to go to the shop around the corner. Whatever does hospitality mean?

DO NOT STAY HERE!!!

Save your money and go to Days in around the corner.

I am giving it two because of the location. We could walk to the rock.

The whole hype about the mattress did not apply to us. I guess only king beds have the temper pedic beds. The spreads could use a face lift. Better yet the entire room could.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
mamamorro, G. M. Assistant at La Serena Inn, responded to this review, July 31, 2012
The La Serena Inn would like to apologize for the mix-up with the reservation. The front desk agent was a new employee and did admit to making a mistake with the description of the room to the guest. However we are confused that it was stated that the agent said she was "trained" to call such rooms suites, as that is not the case. The agent did provide a rollaway bed after it was learned that there were also children staying, which had not been mentioned when the reservation was made. The guest was given financial compensation for the inconvenience and was offered a sustantial discount on a future stay.

Fresno, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 27, 2012

If you live in the central valley you visit Morro Bay in the summer and also know that there hasn't been any new Hotel construction in a long time in this small coastal town. Many of the properties that I remember as a kid in the 70's are still there and have undergone various ownership changes and various remodels. La Serena is a nice hotel but still an old property and the smell is the give away. In the second floor hallway you can smell the old of the property. It's an ok hotel, but maybe on the high end for prices.

Room Tip: All the open doors I saw on the second floor had pink walls like the hotel pictures, maybe the third...
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
, G.M. Assistant at La Serena Inn, responded to this review, July 1, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to post your review. We are continually working to improve not only the appearance but also the functionality of the property. Come back and see us the next time your in the area.

Happy travels
Sheffield, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 12, 2012

A large, clean and comfortable room. There was a nice sun lounge area adjacent to the breakfast room, which meant we could take breakfast outside. Our room had a balcony, with sea view (albeit a side view).
Very helpful staff.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
mamamorro, G.M. Assistant at La Serena Inn, responded to this review, June 13, 2012
We were so happy to read of your pleasant stay with us. We'll save you a chair on the sun deck for your next visit.

4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 6, 2012 via mobile

At $87/night good value for money. Quiet, walking distance to the harbor for dining and shopping, and plenty of parking.

• Stayed June 2012
mamamorro, G.M. Assistant at La Serena Inn, responded to this review, June 7, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to post your review. We look forward to providing you with excellent customer service and comfortable accomodations the next time your in our area.

Regards,
La Serena Inn

Been to La Serena Inn? Share your experiences!