“Lovely restaurant, Good food” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #8 of 85 Restaurants in Morro Bay
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Cuisines: American, Seafood
Good for: Local cuisine, Special occasions, Romantic, Entertaining clients
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Dessert, Lunch, Delivery, Late Night, Reservations
Sacramento, California
“Lovely restaurant, Good food”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 3, 2014

We stopped here for dinner on recommendation from our hotel. This place is a little less casual than some of the restaurants in Morro Bay but was very comfortable. It was a pleasant change for an evening.

The menu had a variety of offerings but our goal was to have seafood while visiting the coast. I selected the linguine with clam sauce and a side salad, while the hubby decided on the ahi and a cup of clam chowder. The salad was crisp and fresh with a variety of vegetables stacked in an eye-pleasing presentation. The linguine was smothered in a chopped clam sauce with 4 or 5 steamers on top. I was in heaven! The ahi was proclaimed to be excellent as was the cup of clam chowder.

The restaurant is located on a street above the Embarcadero but has magnificent views of Morro Rock and the bay. We found the evening to be very relaxing and did not feel rushed during our meal. The restaurant was pleasantly busy but the wait staff stayed attentive and efficient. The dinner menu is a little more pricy but we felt we got a good value for our dollar.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

Pittsburgh
“The 2nd Worst Restaurant We've Ever Been To!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 2, 2014

My Wife and I spent the week traveling down the Pacific Coast Highway. After a long day of hiking, we decided to call today's drive short and settled into the small coastal town of Cayucos. After checking into a beautiful bed and breakfast (check out "On the Beach B&B") we were about to head out to a local establishment for dinner when a nice woman we met recommended Dorn's. After doing a quick search for Dorn's on the internet... we thought that we had found a local gem. Boy were we wrong.

First impressions were deceiving. The restaurant seemed to have all of the tell tale signs of a quality, family owned dining institution: Bayside location, the smell of fresh seafood, and an impressive menu! But we were soon to find out that all of this was nothing but a facade.

My wife ordered the special of the day... Red Snapper. I ordered the seared Ahi. Both of us chose soup over a salad... the house clam chowder that was described as being a "70 year old recipe."

Let's start with the clam chowder. My wife immediately reached for the salt. After taking a few tastes of my own, I quickly crabbed the salt as well. I'm not talking about a pinch of salt... this soup needed a lot of salt just to give it some semblence of flavor! We were starving and both finished the soup to tame our appetite.

Then came the main course. The Ahi tuna had the consistency of rubber and lacked any resemblance of flavor. The sesame seeds coating the tuna were raw. I found myself soaking each piece of tuna in the cup of "soy and ginger" sauce just to add some kind of flavor but after the second bite I was done. The dish was sent back to the kitchen. Disgusting!

My wife's red snapper was definitely a high quality fish but there were no flavors ANYWHERE in the dish. After adding some salt the dish was still relatively flavorless. She questioned whether or not the chef in the kitchen even knew how to cook? This dish was also sent back.

After tasting both of the dishes side by side I could not distinguish which dish was which. The best way to describe what we were served was some type of hot, textured material on a plate.

We felt bad... and didn't want to complain to our wait staff at first but then we heard the party next to us complain to their waiter that they have been coming here for years and something was most definitely "off" about this food. We then immediately spoke up to our waitress. We were asked if there was anything else on the menu that we would like and with hesitance asked to try the scampi.

The 15 minute wait for our replacement meal was torturous. It seemed like all of the parties in the room were struggling to chew and swallow their food. The table behind us ate 2 or 3 bites of their meal and set it aside. We contemplated canceling the scampi... but decided to wait and see if it was any good. It wasn't.

Rubbery, flavorless, and mildly nauseating. Is scampi butter supposed to be thick and cloudy? This was.

Not once were we offered an apology. The staff was defensive of their food though plates were being returned by multiple parties. Our waitress, though sweet, was utterly clueless when it came to fine dining.

The verdict... it seems as if the people running this joint have become lazy and complacent. Maybe they feel that people have been coming here for years and will continue coming so they don't have to try. It was upsetting... frustrating... and downright disgusting. My stomach gurgles just thinking about it. I've had better seafood at Red Lobster.

• Visited June 2014
    • 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food
Oslo, Norway
“A great view for lunch”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 1, 2014

As a pit stop, Dorn's was a great choice.
Easy to find. Great view of the Bay.
Easy menu and straight forward service.
But the food was not all that.
The burger was not seasoned and the fish of the day was a bit blend.
By all means.
Its a great place to stop.
They might now have fixed the burger :-)

• Visited July 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
Visalia, CA
“A Morro Bay classic that needs a bit of improvement.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 31, 2014

Continuing on our mission to have appetizers and cocktails Friday night we decided to hit up Dorn's for another long island and some appetizers. We were seated right away and the service was great! The cocktails were perfect. We saw a lobster dinner coming out of the kitchen and decided that it looked too good not to try so appetizers turned into a $60 each lobster dinner. The lobster was cooked perfectly, however didn't have the sweetness that I was expecting for a $60 tail. I opted for steamed veggies (to try to offset the lobster and drawn butter) and was disappointed that they put old yellow broccoli in the mix. Personally I would have never served such obvious old broccoli.

Little things I always seem to notice...like the fact that my water glass had lipstick on it that was completely obvious and the strange thing is that i don't wear lipstick! The waiter didn't even notice, however when I did put the glass aside it was promptly replaced. However this just should never happen in a restaurant of this class. I also noticed that the battery operated table lamp hadn't been cleaned in quite some time. Those things should be wiped down nightly in my opinion. After all, it's the minor details that make a great restaurant great and an average restaurant average.

Dorn's has great potential, however I feel that the owners have fallen into a bit of mediocrity over the years. I truly hope that my review helps them do better in the future.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Morro Bay, California
“Great Breakfasts Can Be Found Here!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2014

We really enjoy Dorn's for breakfast whether its pancakes for the grandkids or omelets for us.
Always great food, great service, and at a reasonable price. Their muffins are excellent. Highly recommend for an early morning meal!!!!

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere