“Best view for sunset!” 4 of 5 stars

Good for: Romance, Local cuisine, Special occasions, Entertaining clients
Chino, California
“Best view for sunset!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 27, 2013

We heard a lot about this place and enjoyed it. The selections didn't look exceptional, but when we got our food it was exceptional.

Definitely pricey, wh=ish we could have saved some money, but the food was a great quality.

Also, the view is perfect for sunset. It is at the top of the bluff with no obstructions, you get a great view for a price.
If you want to save money, right outside of the entrance is a wood deck that has bench seating at and the same view. Just know you will be surrounded by lots of tourists.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

San Luis Obispo, California
“Disappointment @ Dorn's Breakers Cafe”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 24, 2013

One word describes this dining experience... disappointed!!! From the 1st step into the restaurant... it was not living up to my expectations... I walked in while my birthday boy husband parked our vehicle. The host attempted to seat me next to the kitchen without making any other suggestions. I wanted the evening to be perfect for my husband's birthday celebration! I told the host that I would wait for my husband who was having a birthday whether or not he wanted to sit there. My husband arrived and he requested that we sit somewhere with a ocean view. The host informed us without a reservation, the wait would be 30 minutes. The host didn't offer to seat us at the bar or outside while we waited. We decided to walk around Morro Bay while we waited.

We returned to the host asking us if it was too cold to walk around. I said no, it's beautiful outside. It was as though he was disappointed that we came back to have a meal at his restaurant. Again, no mention from him or the bartender about a glass of wine or martini while we waited. I guess they missed out on that opportunity to take care of us as though we were guests. I always ask my guests if there is something I can get them to drink as soon as they arrive at my house.

Another 10-15 minutes pass and the host finally seats us at a booth. Bridget greets us and explains the specials of the night. We order calamari for our appetizer, Mark orders the scallops and I order the special featuring the sole. The salads and wine arrive. Mark and I look at each other and say where is the calamari? Then the entrees come to the table. Before Bridget left the table, Mark asks where the calamari is. She appologizes and brings it to the table shortly.

My meal was cold, but good. My husband said his meal was wonderful. (Thank goodness, after all it's his birthday!) His only complaint besides the calamari being forgotten, was the very, very small glass of Ancient Peaks Sauvignon Blanc. I honestly have had larger tastes of wine at a tasting room than this glass. Give me a break!

We were both disappointed to see that we had been charged for the calamari when the bill arrived at the table. To top it off, no mention of Mark's birthday, no complimentary dessert or discounts. It is ashame. There are so many restaurants out there that would appreciate a 48 year old to celebrate a birthday with them. How hard is it to make a person feel special and wanted? I'll tell you who- The Galley in Morro Bay! We went there in August, 2012 for our anniversary! Wow! They really know what they are doing!

Not sure if we will return to Dorn's Breakers Cafe. Bummer!

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
“You can't go wrong”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 16, 2013

Just wanted to go to dinner without spending a ton of money or put on ceremonies. We chose Dorn's because we could walk there from our Morro Bay hotel (Bayfront Inn - which was great! We highly recommend it!) and the front desk gal recommended this old time dining spot. We ordered two appetizers fresh baked mushrooms and the shrimp cocktail ( the french bread for dipping in the fresh baked mushrooms' sauce was a great choice to add onto the calories ) and we both ordered the Breakers Burger with blue cheese (mine of course without a bun). It was a terrific low key meal accompanied by a martini and wine for less than $75 including tip and tax. The staff was great - plus we could simply walk back to our great little hotel.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Canyon Country, California
“Best Pancakes EVER”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 4, 2013

Dorn's has become our "go to" breakfast spot whenever we are lucky enough to be in Morro Bay. Even when they are jam-packed, the service is impeccable and friendly. You cannot go wrong with anything on the menu -- we've enjoyed everything from the Mediterranean Omelette (artichoke bottoms, black olives, tomatoes and mozzarella cheese) and Seafood Omelette (sauteed shrimp, crabmet, mushrooms and green onions) to traditional bacon and eggs. My current fav are the buttermilk pancakes: light and delicious! Pair them with a side of bacon, and ohhhhh my.

If weather permits, definitely opt for an outside table. The view will only enhance your dining experience!

Visited September 2012
Fresno, California
“Wonderful food and service”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 29, 2013

We had two different types of fish - Swordfish and Mahi Mahi - both excellent! Reasonably priced. We started a little late. Could have had a beautiful ocean view if we had arrived sooner. Next time!

Visited January 2013