“Used to be good...” 2 of 5 stars

Ranked #37 of 85 Restaurants in Morro Bay
Cuisines: Seafood
Good for: Families with children, Local cuisine, Large groups
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Reservations
Description: Great American Fish Company overlooks the Morro Bay Harbor serving Mesquite Broiled Fish and Steaks that we've been famous for since 1980.
San Luis Obispo, CA
“Used to be good...”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 13, 2008

This was at one time my favorite seafood restaurant, but I haven't had the opportunity to eat here in 2-3 years now. About a month ago a friend asked me for a recommendation for a Morro Bay seafood restaurant and I told her to eat here. The next day she said that they had had a bad experience with the meals as well as the unfriendly staff. The cook took little care in the plating of the food. The potatoes au gratin seemed to be from a box, and were just "blopped" onto the plates. I encouraged her to call the owner and discuss it so as to help him improve the problems. She declined, so I called him. Although he had not been on the premises the evening before, he denied that the problems had occurred. As I had not been present, I lacked details. He asked me to have my friend please call him, and I was finally able to have her do so. She told me that he denied all of her complaints. They didn't happen. She was mistaken. Needless to say, neither of us will be returning.

Morro Bay
“Tourist trap! Go somewhere else”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2008

I have eaten at GAFCO three or four times, and have yet to have a good meal there. It is overpriced, and to say the food is mediocre would be an overstatement. I finally decided to just try fish and chips thinking, "Well, they have to do that right!" Wrong. The fish was dry, the chips were not crispy at all, and the steamed veggies on the side were overcooked and under seasoned (think microwaved frozen veggies that have been in the freezer for too long). I think the only thing positive I have to say about the place is that the service has always been friendly, and the view of the bay is pretty good. As a local, I would definitely recommend that tourists avoid this place and check out Giovanni's or The Whale's Tale for this type of food.

A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook
“Love GAFCO! It has been...”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 28, 2008

Love GAFCO! It has been there since I have been in diapers! The veiw of the bay is beautiful. Get a table by the window!

A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook
“Second best salmon I've...”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 19, 2007

Second best salmon I've ever had! Great view of the Morro Bay Rock.

San Luis Obispo
“Would Never Go Back”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 19, 2007

I remember going to the Great American Fish Co. when I was little and I was so excited to go back. Unfortunately, this restaurant did not live up to what I remember. To start off, our waitress was rude, not personable and aloof. I do not understand how someone could be in the hospitality industry and be that unfriendly. If you dislike people this much, you should not work in customer service/hospitality. Not only was the service terrible so was our food. I ordered the Mahi Mahi special with pineapple salsa. The fish was over cooked, over seasoned, and the pineapple salsa was simply spicy Mexican salsa with chunks of pineapple. This restaurant is way over priced for what you get and I would never go back or recommend this place to anyone. Which is sad because they have a great view and at one time had great food and great service.