“My favorite Morro Bay stop” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #22 of 80 Restaurants in Morro Bay
Cuisines: Seafood
Good for: Families with children, Large groups, Local cuisine
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Reservations
Description: Great American Fish Company overlooks the Morro Bay Harbor serving Mesquite Broiled Fish and Steaks that we've been famous for since 1980.
Fresno
“My favorite Morro Bay stop”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 19, 2012

Great American Fish never disappoints. The view is great and I have always had great meals here. I generally stick to the grilled fish...Sea Bass, Halibut, Swordfish have always been great. The place does tend to get very busy...but you can usually put your name in and take a short walk around the adjacent fishing boats while you wait. I am surprised at some of the bad reviews, I have eaten here at least 25 times and it has never disappointed.

• Visited August 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

California
“Better than average but not quite very good....”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 6, 2012

When on the coast one should order seafood, right? We were in Morro Bay for a few nights heading home and decided to enjoy a nice seafood meal. OK, my husband thought I should enjoy it (I like it) and he would tolerate it (because it is good for him). The hotel where we were staying recommended this place. The town was pretty much empty and everything closed down so there wasn't much choice of things to do or places to go. Other than a table of ladies next to us, the place was empty.
Service was good. Recommendations were good. Hubby went with the Halibut (he doesn't like mushy or fishy fish) Special. I ordered the swordfish thinking it would be a good way to compare the two side by side.
The halibut was a bit on the softer mushy side, I don't recall it being that way before. My swordfish was what I expected both to be. Full bodied chewable meat. We both like mine more.
Part of it may have been that his fish was just bland. His scalloped potatoes and rest of the plate was "excellent". My pilaf was bland. So we had a mix of good and not so good.

When we were ready to leave, the table next to us also left. It wasn't late but the "closed" sign was up for the restaurant but the bar was open.
It was good we didn't feel rushed to leave and were able to finish in our own time.

I thought the food was costly for the not quite very good rating, but maybe it was just our particular plates. Have had better at less cost. Still, an enjoyable relaxing dinner in the low season.

I bet there was a view, but we got into town in the dark (about 6 pm) and had no idea what was out there.

• Visited November 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
San Luis Obispo, CA
“Greasy Spoon”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 27, 2012

This restaurant is ON THE BAY. The fish tastes like something frozen from Costco. Service is poor & not too friendly, unless you are ordering a lot of drinks - then it seems pretty friendly. Honestly, I don't know why anyone wastes their money here, unless they just want to sit in a restaurant on Morro Bay. Ok... nice sunsets.

Visited May 2012
Phoenix, Arizona
“Great food”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 24, 2012

was recommened from El Ranho in Morro Bay. Very happy. I had mango tuna and my husband had halibut. not to much but just enough. fair prices and the view was awesome. no complaints! Would go again

Visited October 2012
Visalia, California
“fish and chips are great”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 14, 2012

I dined alone on this evening since my husband wasn't feeling well and remained in the motel room. I walked down to the bay alone and the Great American Fish Company was the first restaurant I came upon. I went inside and was greeted by a lovely young lady. After glancing through the menu I ordered the senior portion of fish and chips with fresh steamed veggies even though I'm not a senior for another few years, the waitress said it would be okay. I watched a sea lion swim around the bay in and around the boats docked as I ate my dinner. The food was fresh and very tasty. A good price too! I would eat here again.

Visited October 2012