“Mold, smell, dust, cheap,hair dryer and mirror in kitchen...” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Breakers Motel

You added Breakers Motel to your Saves list
Breakers Motel
2.0 of 5 Motel   |   780 Market Ave., Morro Bay Blvd. & Market Ave., Morro Bay, CA 93442   |
Ranked #22 of 29 Hotels in Morro Bay
“Mold, smell, dust, cheap,hair dryer and mirror in kitchen...”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 13, 2012 via mobile

Preordered the room at Internet, because it looked good at the website. Should have checked tripadvisor first.
The first we noticed was the smell of mold when we opened the door. Around the windows we could also see it.
On the telephone was a thick layer of dust...
The mirror, hair dryer and sink is in the kitchen and not in the bathroom.
The pool was closed.
The man in office seemed not serviceminded and did not at all smile.
Find another hotel is my advice....

• Stayed February 2012

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (36)
San Diego, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 5, 2012

Morro Bay is good place to stop off on your way to San Francisco, or to spend a few days. It has a wonderful wharf area with shops and restaurants, and a darling town with antique shops. The Breakers Motel is a block from the wharf with a fantastic view of Morro Rock, and a few blocks from the center of the tiny town. Hearst Castle is 10 min away. The rooms are older, but clean and functional with mini fridge and microwave. The pool is well-kept and inviting. A continental breakfast is served at 9:00 a.m. People seem to sleep late in this town, maybe waiting for the fog to burn off? I can't wait to come back for a long weekend to explore the town.

Stayed October 2011, traveled with family
Frederikssund
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2011

We were heading towards Los Angeles from San Francisco and decided to take an overnight break somewhere halfway. I booked it the day before we should arrive, the price was okay, and I actually did not expect so much.

The room we had were fine for 1 night and the pool was great. The only thing is that you can hear almost everything that is going on in the next room.

The best is the little fine city and the strange mountain popping up of the ocean which you have a view of from the hotel, this is such a funny nice little city.
This is amazing nature.....

The staff is very friendly. They do announce that they have continental breakfast, but do not expect that much - they have a small table in the little reception with some bread and muffins, but it works.

If my way cross there again I would be happy to stay there again.

Room Tip: If it's possible book a room on 1.st floor then I think you have an amazing view.
  • Stayed June 2011, traveled with family
Cameron Park, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 10, 2011

We were at the Breakers with a large group that took over most of the motel and we got pretty much what I expected for an old beach motel. We were lucky and got a second floor room with a King bed and a perfect view of Morro Rock. Most other room has an obstructed view of the rock or a view of the parking lot and had two double beds. The room was clean, the furniture shabby, but there was a mini fridge, microwave and coffee maker. The pool area is also tired and the signage has probably been there since the 50s, like having to wear a bathing cap! There was sand in the hot tub and the furniture was old and dirty. You get the feeling that the owners believe that location is everything. Not so! Won't go back unless I have to!

Room Tip: Refuse a first floor room and make sure rooms on the second or third aren't blocked by the stair...
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled with friends
Burbank, CA
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 11, 2011

The price was right. The bed was fine. The WiFi worked well.

BUT - the shower stall was moldy. I can tell the difference between old, stained grout - which you shouldn't have in a motel anyway - and mold. And there was no hot water in the sink after around 6 p.m. I let the water run for over 5 minutes, and then washed my face in cold water. And there was only 1 hand towel. When we arrived and realized there was only 1 hand towel, we went to the office and got another one. But every day, the maid replaced the towels, and provided only 1 hand towel, despite the fact that there were clearly 2 people staying in the room.

When I attempted to give the above feedback to the woman in the office, she rebutted my concerns by saying that they've "had Housekeeping in" and the grout is old, but not moldy, and she stated that that is what they tell everyone who complains. I suggested that they replace the grout, since I was not the only one complaining, and she got hostile. When I brought up the issue of the lack of hot water in the sink, she told me I should have let the water run. When I told her I did, she said, "No one else has complained". I told her we would not be returning, and she continued to tell me I was wrong.

We spend a lot of time and money in Morro Bay. We won't be doing that at the Breakers.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled on business
Mojave Desert
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2011

So we got 3 nights for the price of 2 due to a special they were running which worked out to roughly $56 and some cents a night. The bed was so hard we both woke up with no sensation in our hands. Yes, we're 60ish but we don't have this problem at home. Maybe that's nit picking but there's more...hardly any of the electrical outlets worked. 2 of the 3 light bulbs in the bathroom were out. There is no air conditioner or any unit with a fan that brings in fresh air from the outside. There IS a fan on the ceiling but it made so much noise and wobbled so much we were afraid it was going to crash down so we didn't use it. The lock mechanism on one of the windows didn't work. We were on the first floor so did not feel too secure. My husband had to PULL on the shower as it was too hard for me to pull out and needed some oiling very badly. In order to do this, he had to get in the shower to pull it hard, and of course, got wet when he was finally able to do it. The carpet was badly stained all over.

The continental breakfast was a joke: White bread you could toast. Butter and jam, a few little store bought pastries, some apples and orange and apple juice. Where were the bagels? How about some cereal and milk?

The proximity to the Embarkadero was great - only a block up and right in the middle of the shops and restaurants.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
Los Angeles, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2011

Located one block above the boardwalk in the Morro Bay embarcadero area. Some rooms have obstrcuted views of bay and some have better views. Can see the Morro Rock from all rooms. All rooms microwave, mini-frig and coffee maker so we were able to do a lot of simple meals and picnics. Staff extremely nice and helpful. Breakfast pastries, toast, juice and apples. The room was rather small but clean and well maintained. Many families and seniors were staying there. Heated pool. Very quiet, no traffic. Only the gulls calls to bother you.

Room Tip: For a good view,ask for a second or third floor room if you can manage your luggage without an eleva...
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple

Been to Breakers Motel? Share your experiences!