“Not worth the savings” 2 of 5 stars

Ranked #12 of 12 Hotels in Morgan Hill
Friday Harbor, Washington
“Not worth the savings”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 13, 2012

We have stayed at many Choice Hotels, and this was one of the poorest maintained and the front desk experience. The rugs were dirty, the walls needed paint and there was a run down aura hanging over the building. The fellow at the front desk was unfriendly, hard to understand and hardly welcoming. We had a bit of trouble finding the location, so we called the motel three times and all three times, no one would answer the phone.

The only plusses were the price in comparison to others in the area, and the room was ok except for an awful TV, and the lady running the breakfast room was accommodating and very nice.

Never again.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (17)
Bay Area, CA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 3, 2012

I stayed for one night towards the end of October 2012. There was a strange smell outside the hotel (sort of a farm smell?), but it was okay inside. I didn't smell any pets during my stay, although I do find the pet policy kind of iffy, and could see some rooms smelling like pet. So, I think the experience is likely to differ somewhat, but there are 80-odd rooms in the hotel, so you can probably get switched to another room if you needed.

As for my room, it was fine, nothing special. The bed looked clean, and it was quite comfortable (seems like the standard Quality Inn bed I've had at other Quality Inns), and I didn't get any bed bugs biting me or anything. The carpets were lumpy in places, but didn't look terribly dirty or anything. I would still want to wear flip flops or slippers while walking around the room, but... this is true of most lower-tier hotels. The bathroom was clean enough. The towels did seem somewhat worn, though. I've used the same (Choice Hotels) towels at other Choice properties, and they have been much fluffier. But nevertheless, these towels got the job done.

Above the TV, there's a placard indicating that various items in the room are available for sale due to their popularity with guests, and if you'd like to "purchase" them, they can be automatically billed to your room for your convenience.

I woke up too late for breakfast, unfortunately. Overall, a pretty uneventful stay. For the price, I would say it was only an average value.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Auberry, California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 20, 2012

I thought I would try out this hotel because the rate was the least expensive in the area. I understand why it was so low. It was a filty, old and unfriendly hote. They allow pets and you can smell them the moment you walk down the hallways. If it was not the pets it was the smoking. I felt like I needed to keep my flip flops on my whole stay because the carpets were so stained and not vacumed well. I horrible exprience

Room Tip: Avoid at all costs!
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
Berkeley, CA
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 7, 2012

My husband and I wanted to take a short, fun, low-budget vacation before our 3 kids headed back to school this fall. We decided to drive to Santa Cruz from our bay area home, but we did not want to pay Santa Cruz hotel prices. With our limited budget in mind, we shopped online for a reasonably priced hotel with "good" reviews within a reasonable drive to Santa Cruz. We came across the Quality Inn which seemed to meet my basic requirements (based on reviews and photos). I believed that the hotel would be clean, reasonably priced and have all of the basic amenities I've come to expect in any hotel. We arrived on a warm, Friday afternoon. My husband and I were ready to relax and the kids were ready to jump into the pool. After checking in, we walked up the stairs (there's no elevator) to our room. Upon opening the door, we were met with the unmistakable smell of urine. We immediately contacted the front desk and asked for a different room. Our request was accomodated and room number 2 was fine; basically clean, small, but liveable for a couple of nights. The kids grabbed towels from the bathroom and my husband escorted them to the pool. I stayed behind to shower and relax, so I grabbed the remaining towel and did just that. Anticipating the return of my children and their need for a good shower, I called the front desk (no number for housekeeping) and requested 5 towels. I was unprepared for the response that I received: "I'm sorry; we don't have any more towels. Weren't there towels in your room?" A hotel with no towels? I've stayed at a lot of hotels all over the world and I've had some interesting experiences but this was definitely a new one for me. No towels? When my husband returned with the kids, I relayed my experienced to him and he immediately made his way to the front desk to speak with the manager (who, as it turns out, is the person that I spoke to on the phone). My husband returned to the room with towels (I guess they found some or took them from other guest rooms), but by then I was reeling from the stories that my kids were telling me about the "funny smell" of the pool and the lady in the hot tub yelling obscenities. We survived the weekend and the kids loved the Santa Cruz Beach Boardwalk. We'll definitely return to the Beach/Boardwalk for family fun, but we will NEVER stay at the Quality Inn in Morgan Hill again.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Elk Grove, California, United States
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 31, 2012

The rooms were dirty, our coffee pot didn't work, there were no towels or washcloths in the room upon arrival, our sliding glass door would not open, our non-smoking room reeked of cigarette smoke, there was a hole in the bathroom door (like someone had kicked it in), one of the beds was on the floor with no bedframe, and the front desk service was horrible! If you're staying there for a sporting even at the complex across the street, pay the $5 parking fee NOT to stay at this hotel!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2012

we stayed here because we thought this will be good hotel as most Quality inns are, but this is one of the worst we have experianced in long time. Rooms shabby and Old, Carpet Filty, Mold in fridge, soap Scum in Bathroom, Internet dosent work, we still stayed and thought it cant br worse anymore but in Morning breakfast was Horribal, upon asking desk Clerk he got not only rude but used profanity, very un proffessional we made reservation for 2 nights but only stayed one nite and left. sopke to Manager was not willing to help but started yelling, NO Customer service at all. will not recomend this hotel.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Sacramento, California
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2012

Let me start by saying that this place has one redeeming quality and one only. Location, location, location. We attended the All West Showcase Lacrosse Tournament and this hotel is directly across from the fields. Which means we skipped the $5 parking fee and we had the convenience to go back to our room to rest in between games. However, this is where the perks end.

Our first room wreaked of cigarette smoke, even though the entire floor is non smoking. There were cigarette ashes all over the room. Our bed consisted of a box spring directly on the floor with 2 mattresses on top of it. Dead flies covered the window sill and there was no screen on the window to allow for ventilation. We were able to trade rooms but were only given one other option. Thank god the other option was a little better.

The boys wanted to relax their sore muscles after a long day of lacrosse games and the spa was ice cold. As in colder than the pool! There were used condoms in the parking lot, a half smoked joint in the hallway, lamp shade was ripped to shreds, and there were so many stains on the carpets that I refused to walk barefoot even in my room.

Be warned, animals are allowed here, so you will hear dogs barking and the stairwells smell like cat pee.

When I complained, management attempted to fix some problems but most cannot be handled without a complete overhaul of this hotel.

Be forewarned. We have stayed at many hotels for lacrosse tournaments and this one is the worse of the worse. It needs to be completely overhauled and then it can justify its $100 a night price tag. Until then you are better off staying in Gilroy or San Jose.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family

Been to Quality Inn? Share your experiences!