“Nothing short of awful. Do not stay at this hotel!” 1 of 5 stars

Hotel deals
Special Offer
Earn a $50 Gift Card
Wisconsin
“Nothing short of awful. Do not stay at this hotel!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 24, 2012

I will start by saying that I travel on business probably 30% of the year. As such, I stay at many hotels over the course of the year, and generally do not post reviews. This was such a bad experience that I felt that I needed to let other travelers know about this property. I generally give my business to a Hilton or Marriott property, but had a short 2 night stay that I needed to book in a town with not a lot of choices. I chose this property over a Holiday Inn Express, and it was a bad choice.

I reserved 3 rooms for 2 nights each. At check-in, I was told that the hotel takes a $100 deposit per room, which I commented on as being something that I don't see during my normal business travel. The desk attendant simply said this was the hotel policy, and continued the check-in process. As I walked to the room, I saw that every room had a door accessible from the outside, which I am not fond of. My room did not have a functioning shower, another room in my block had a non functioning heater/air conditioner. The ice machines did not work, the power outlets in one room did not work, and the walkway outside the rooms was cracked and buckling. This is simply an old property with some cosmetic attempts to freshen it.

Despite the items above, we stayed for the 2 nights without complaining. It retrospect, that was a mistake. However, my real issue with the hotel came at check out. I generally leave a property on my departure date without calling or stopping by the front desk. I have not had an issue with this in 18 years of business travel. Luckily, I was suspicious enough of this hotel to call prior to leaving the property. When I informed them that I had 3 rooms checking out, I was told the I needed to come to the front desk with my parking passes and all room keys, or there would be a charge for each key not returned. I was absolutely amazed by this. These were standard plastic mag stipe key cards, why would there be a fee for not returning them? Especially given that most people just leave them in the room? I was very unhappy to hear this, and told the attendant on the phone that I would not pay this fee. She argued with me stating the she checked me in, and had informed me of this policy. I responded that she had informed me of the deposit they were taking,and that I had questioned that, but I was absolutely certain she had not mentioned this ridiculous key charge. She was beyond rude, and when I asked to speak to manager, she said one was not available. I was basically hung up on. I ended up going to the front desk to get a duplicate key to get into the room that had already been vacated so that I could get the keys that were inside. After wasting time doing this, and going through a very long check-out process, another attendant decided to "waive" the fee for the one plastic key that was missing. I suspect that it was because I had told them that I would initiate a charge-back on the entire bill for the 3 rooms if they chose to charge me for a missing plastic key card.

I have been home for a few days, and am still upset about what a poorly run property this is. I will be calling the Best Western corporate offices to complain. Again, something I have never done in 18 years of business travel. I would highly discourage anyone thinking about staying at this property from doing so. There simply has to be a better property in the area to stay at.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
bestwestmorenovalley, Manager at BEST WESTERN Moreno Hotel & Suites, responded to this review, December 10, 2012
Thank you for taking some of your valuable time on writing a review on your stay at our hotel.

Please accept our apologies for all the inconveniences you experienced throughout your stay. We are truly sorry that we did not full fill all your expectations but do guarantee that we take all of our guests’ experiences and make changes to prevent it from happening again.

You mentioned that you travel throughout the year and usually give your business to Hilton and Marriott properties and we appreciate that you had given us the opportunity to host your stay. Please take in consideration that there are many hotel chains in the market, each one having different hotel policies, some of them you might not be accustomed to. Unfortunately, one of our hotel policies is requiring a deposit, which is refundable at check-out. This deposit is not an actual charge but a pending hold on your credit card that gets released at the time of check out. Most hotels use a pending hold for a determined amount that would cover any incidentals, such as telephone charges, vending charges and any other occurring fees. It is surprising that as you had mentioned, as a frequent traveler, are not familiar with, yet. As we understand, other hotels in the area also require a deposit when checking in, so perhaps even booking elsewhere you would have encountered the same policy.

As far as our outside rooms go, our hotel is designed in a way that some room entrances are towards the outside, with easy access to the parking lot and other rooms that are towards the inside of the hotel. While most guests prefer an outside room for obvious reasons, we did not see any special requests from your party when reservations were booked or at checking in.

As a valued customer, when issues come up with any of our rooms, we highly recommend that you report it immediately to the front desk so we can address any issues right away. Keep in mind that our top priority is our guests’ satisfaction and we work hard to full fill our guests’ expectations. We believe that no guest should have to experience any issues during their stay as they are the ones paying for our hospitality. As a result of having ignored the problems or by not reporting any issues to our staff, it prevented you from having an enjoyable stay, and prevented us from the opportunity of resolving any issues and providing excellent service.

I would like to mention that when we read your reviews about the shower, the AC/Heater and the power outlets not working, our maintenance staff was sent to perform a full inspection and they were found to be working properly.
Our staff strives every day to provide our guests with superior hospitality and once we receive a report from a guest about a maintenance issue, we resolve it and prevent it from happening to other guests.

In addition, since we had a high occupancy at the time of your stay, our ice machines were constantly in use and temporarily running out of ice. It takes approximately 30minutes for the machines to replenish the ice.

We are truly sorry that you were upset due to the fact that we require all guests to return all room keys. We are concerned with our guests’ safety and personal property. We try to prevent any situation that can arise from a guest leaving the keys inside the room and accidentally leaving the door open or by not closing the door properly and having an outsider walk in the room causing damages and creating extra charges to the registered guest. As a guest, you are responsible for the room while it is registered to your name. We do understand that sometimes our guests misplace the room keys, however we can make an exception when we see our guests’ efforts in working with us by returning all room keys.

Our main objective is to make sure that every guest’s stay is memorable, comfortable and overall have a great experience. We have our Front Desk staff working 24 hours, 7 days a week to serve you in every situation and you are always welcome to take advantage of that.

148 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (34)
Las Vegas, Nevada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2012

We found a great rate for the hotel online and booked two nights. The hotel was clean, the staff was friendly and the location was convenient. The bed was a bit hard for our taste but that is personal preference. The complimentary breakfast was average. Overall a great option.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
bestwestmorenovalley, Manager at BEST WESTERN Moreno Hotel & Suites, responded to this review, December 6, 2012
Thank you for writing your review and giving us the privilege to know that you enjoyed your stay here with us.

We are pleased that you took advantage of our great deals online and gave us the opportunity on hosting your stay. We enjoyed having you as a guest and hope to have another chance to serve you once again.

Carson City, Nevada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 18, 2012

We visit the Moreno Valley area once a year and have stayed at the Best Western Moreno Hotel & Suites on four separate occasions. The staff has always been friendly and accommodating.
The rooms are clean and well kept. The grounds are well maintained. The breakfast room is clean and the food selection is more than adequate.

Highly recommend this hotel for travelers in this area.

Room Tip: We have stayed in various rooms and have found all to be excellent.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Thank you for your great review. It is very satisfying reading positive comments from our valuable guests and knowing how much they enjoyed their stay with us.

We are always ready to check you in every day of the year and value your loyalty very much. We will continue working hard and will be here to serve you each time we have you in town. We would like to remind you that we are hear 24 hours to help you each time you need us.

Gloucester UK
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 11, 2012

flew in to LA to begin a trip across to NY and made the 2 hour drive to moreno valley and found this hotel to be a good stopover for our first night.Everywhere clean and tidy and made use of the pool and jacuzzi which was very refreshing after an 11 hour flight .Breakfast sufficient to get next day under way.Would not hesitate to stay again

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your feedback regarding your last stay, but most of all, thank you for stopping by and giving us the privilege to have you as a guest.

It’s great to know that you had a pleasant stay and had the opportunity to relax in our pool and got to enjoy our Complimentary Hot Breakfast in the morning before your road trip. We will continue working hard in every aspect to make sure that on your next stay you will have another positive experience.

California
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 29, 2012

We've stayed here before and had no problems but this time our room had a terrible chemicle smell. I think it was new carpeting. The hotel was full so couldn't move to another room. Opened the balcony door and turned the fan on full but by morning we had a horrible headache and couldn't wait to check out. Next time, if there is, we'll give the room a sniff test first.
I was disappointed in the coffee served at the breakfast bar. There was a pot of regular coffee but just instant sanka packs for the people who want de-caf.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Thank you for your feedback regarding your last booking, we appreciate you taking some of your valuable time to write a review.

I would like to apologize for the inconveniences that you experienced on your last stay. It is very devastating to hear that one of our guest’s expectations was not fully full filled.

We work hard each and every day to make every guest stay a wonderful experience and are always open to hear any comments, concerns and requests from each and every guest during their stay to make their stay unforgettable and memorable.

We are here to serve you and help you in every situation needed. Our goal is to always meet your expectations and that you are satisfied 100 percent.

It was very unfortunate that due to the fact that we were sold out, we had no extra rooms to offer you to move in to. We have been remodeling, getting new carpet, and making new changes to our guest rooms.
As we all know, new carpeting and fresh paint produces a slight smell. However, we place our newly maintained rooms on close for a period of time to help diminish the smell and we put air freshener to help neutralize any bad odors.

I guarantee you that if we had any rooms available we would have immediately moved you to another room. Unfortunately, when we are sold out we have no other choice. Had we know that the smell was intolerable , we would have given you the option of checking out and booked a room for you elsewhere. Because our top priority is our guests’ satisfaction, we would have preferred for you to have had a comfortable and better stay elsewhere than having you go through a bad experience. I apologize again.

Regarding our Complimentary Hot Breakfast Decaf Coffee, I’m sorry to hear you were not able to taste our Freshly Brewed Decaf Coffee. We have two Freshly Brewed Coffee Pots, one labeled Regular and one labeled Decaf. We know that guests sometimes are in a rush or might want to take some extra coffee to go, that’s why we provide single serving packets of decaf coffee, Sanka, to go.

You did mention that you had no problems before your last stay, and we wouldn’t want to miss the opportunity of serving you once again. I guarantee you that if we would have had a room to move you to at the time of your stay you would have had a positive enjoyable experience once again.

Arizona
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 27, 2012

We attended a memorial service for an old Air Force friend at the Riverside Memorial Cemetery. The Motel's location was perfect, a short trip to the cemetery. Great place to stay for the value. Clean, quiet, and great TV. Will go back again if in that area.

Room Tip: We stayed on the third floor, North side, nice and quiet.
Perris, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 25, 2012

I was looking for a hotel room for the weekend and after reading the reviews, I decided to give this hotel a try. The rooms were extremely clean and very spacious. Mine had a 42inch flat screen TV and a DVD player. The staff there is friendly and the price for the room was just right.
If you are not too tired and make it for breakfast, you can make yourself some Belgian waffles and watch the morning news in their super large screen TV. I was not dissapointed at all!

Room Tip: You can request a room with a balcony.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with family

Been to BEST WESTERN Moreno Hotel & Suites? Share your experiences!