“Hey forget Tucson, this is the place” 5 of 5 stars

Menu
Improve this listing
Ranked #3 of 211 restaurants in Moreno Valley
Nebraska
“Hey forget Tucson, this is the place”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 2, 2012

To be honest I never gave much thought to Sonoran Hot Dogs while living in Arizona and frequently visiting Tucson. But on a recent trip to California, a friend said I Have to take you to the Sonoran Grill for a authentic Sonoran Hot Dog. Well let me tell you, it was the best hot dog I have ever had. The bun alone was simply great. Soft, fresh and made on site. The owner of this place has it down! So forget waiting to go to Tucson for the locally reknowned treat, you can get it right here in Southern California and I guarantee whether you're a fan of hot dogs or not, one bite of one of his Sonoran Dogs and you will be hooked.

• Visited April 2012
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere

100% Recommend
Tucson, Arizona
“What? Sonoran hotdogs a la Tucson, Az here? No way!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2011

What a surprise. Happened by this little shopping mall and the "Sonora Grill" sign caught my eye. Being from Tucson, the birthplace of the Sonoran Dog, I determined that we had to stop and check it out. Well, friends, this guy Rudy, he did it. He blew away the famous "Tucson Sonoran hotdog". As we say in the old pueblo, "he threw himself". For those of you who speak Spanish that's means "se avento!" The dog was great, the jalapeno salza was great and Rudy piled it on for me as I like it hot. And those beans, wow. I tried to get him to give me the recipe but no luck, "its a secret," Rudy said. Well, after I polished off that dog I just had to try a "carne asada" taco on a flour tortilla. Chihuahua, that taco was the best and generous too! I'm telling you, next time I visit your fair city, that Sonora Grill is my first stop. Oh, I almost forgot, the Modelo Especial was the perfect way to polish off that hot dog and that taco. Good luck Rudy and Rosie. That Guero Canelo in Tucson is gonna get jealous when he gets to taste one of your hotdogs.....

• Visited July 2011
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Moreno Valley, California
“Genuine Sonoran dogs at last arrive in Moreno Valley”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2011

Finally, authentic and delicious Tucson-style Sonoran hot dogs have arrived in 'Mo Vall'! Rudy, the manager at Sonora Grill has committed the resources and talent necessary to bring these doggies to the picky palates of local Mexican Food fans. He actually was schooled in their preparation by cooks from the world-famous "El Guero Canela" establishment in Arizona.

I've looked high and low all over the Inland So Cal counties, and have been so far disappointed at offerings of so-called Sonoran dogs. The secret is in the bun: Rudy bakes his own genuine boat-shaped, soft, El Guero & Sonoran-style hot dog buns... they are not wholesaled from a vendor!

Rudy goes on to decorate the dogs in authentic style: The bacon, the jalapeno sauce, fresh beans, salsa, sprigs of mayonnaise and so on to please one and all, especially kids and adults acting like kids. You'll want to wash it all down with soft drinks or beer or even Jarritos Mexican sodas like the flavorful tamarindos. Check out the website and find the Sonoran hamburgers and other culinary treats. The shop makes all their own tortillas, too. Oh so fresh!

The restaurant is very clean and the staff is eager to please. Check out the custom Sonoran artwork and metal sculpture on the walls. Best to enter the little strip mall that Sonora Grill resides in by coming off of Heacock Ave. You can exit by Alessandro.

• Visited July 2011