“If only I could get there more often” 4 of 5 stars

Cuisines: American
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
San Diego
“If only I could get there more often”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 9, 2013

Finishing up a nice, but chilly, visit to Descanso Gardens, we strolled downtown Montrose, looking for food before a two hour drive home, but dinner places were not open at 4 pm. We "settled" for lunch at the Black Cow, and it was a real treat. I had a grilled chicken, avocado and havarti sandwich on ciabatta and loved every bite of it and the house side salad. Bread was super fresh, chicken freshly grilled and juicy, and just the right amount of cheese.

The atmosphere is cozy and rustic, and the service was very good. My only negative is that I couldn't try the other 8 things on the menu that sounded good!

My boy friend had a latte, and drank it instead of dessert -- their coffee is just the best. They also feature Foshelman ice cream, which is hard to find and, I hear, excellent. Maybe next time, assuming I find myself in Montrose ever again.

• Visited February 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

Ventura, California
“Great atmosphere”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 3, 2013 via mobile

Came here for lunch with family mid week. The restaurant was crowded but seating was fast for a party of four. Service was great and the food was well prepared with perfect portions for lunch. I particularly liked the old belt driven ceiling fans for air flow in the old brick building.

Los Angeles, California
“Good meal in Monrrose.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 9, 2013

The two blocks of Honolulu Ave in Montrose give you an excellent variety of places to have a meal. Last night we chose Black Cow for dinner. We were rewarded with a very good meal. Freshly baked bread with herbs was a good start. I ordered Idaho trout. When fish arrived, I gave it a look of displeasure as it was baked with the skin on. Was I wrong! The fish and the skin were amazing, potatoes and fresh salad were a great compliment to the fish. My wife's chicken Marsala was good as well. Service is attentive but not in your face overdone. Overall, good meal at good restaurant.

• Visited January 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
La Canada Flintridge, California
“Better than before”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 25, 2012 via mobile

I had a bad experience here many years ago, and decided never to return. However, I decided to give them another chance based on my wife's experience. The place has a sort of charm - old brick on the walls and plain wood tables and chairs. It's not fancy but comfortable. On other occasions when we passed by, it looked very crowded, but this was a night when the World Series was on, so that might explain the light crowd and quiet atmosphere. I wanted the crab cakes, but when I asked if they were breaded, the waiter said yes. The best way to fix crab cakes is Maryland style - no exterior breading. Not many restaurants have figured this out. So I ordered the Ahi tuna salad. The fish was done perfectly, seared on the outside and medium rare to rare inside. It came with mango, spinach and an aioli dressing along with a pile on top of what I think was pickled ginger. My wife loves sand dabs, so she ordered the special - lightly breaded with cheddar cheese. I tasted them and they were very good. My wife ended up eating half of my pickled ginger. The incident many years ago involved a very undercooked fish, so things have apparently improved. The restaurant has a coffee and ice cream bar, which looked good. This place is probably good for breakfast and lunch also. Compared to the many choices in Montrose, the Black Cow is somewhere in the middle.

Princeville, Hawaii
“great salads”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 30, 2012

I always get the same thing when I eat here: the California chicken salad. At lunch you get yummy date nut bread. Also, on Friday nights their lobster bisque is fantastic!

Visited August 2012