“Nice steamboat” 3 of 5 stars

Cuisines: Chinese, Mongolian, Noodle, Soups
Morenci, Arizona
“Nice steamboat”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2013

A nice place for large group gathering. It is steamboat place..everyone just dip to the hot pot and eat. I like the hotpot that can split in half, so one half we can order non spicy herbal soup while the other spicy. There are great variety to choose from menu,ie, meats,prawn, fish balls, noodles, veggies. This is not like those buffet steamboat that I ate before, so the final bill will depends on how much you eat and what you eat. You ordered it on the piece of paper(menu) and they will served it to you. I believe you will be full after spending about $20 (per person). Great to have it during cold night.

• Visited April 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Food

Los Angeles, California
“Shabu shabu Chinese Style”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2013

This second visit to Hot Pot Hot Pot was much better. Being a newbie the first time was less than memorable. We ordered the broth - half half - half spicy-half house original broth. This time we got heat level #2 on the spicy scale which was more palatable. The broth is key to the dish. Several unidentified herbs were swimming in the bubbling broth which almost lent a semi-medicinal taste to the broth. I just didn't grow up with herbal tea and herbal medicine so it initially was a bit different. We got the sliced beef, pork belly and pork and the vegies chosen were baby bok choy, watercress, spinach, mushrooms, winter melon and tofu. The dumpling appetizers came at the end of the meal - whatever. They were good but put some of the black vinegar on them. I think I would enjoy this type of meal more during the winter months. Would come back again and put in cilantro daikon.

• Visited July 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Los Angeles
“Watch Your Knees!”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 10, 2013

Came here on a Saturday night hoping to grab dinner. As we drove by, it was obvious by the amount of people waiting outside that we were not going to be eating anytime soon. So... we drove elsewhere...

We figured we try our luck again the next day. On Sunday we showed up around 2:30pm. Plenty of parking. When we walked into the restaurant it was nearly empty and we were shown directly to our table.

Since we were using the Amazon deal for the 2 of us, we ordered quite a bit. We did the half and half. We got the house original and the last one on the list (the one that had the tomato base). Both broths were flavorful, however I did like the house original better.

We ordered:
-beef: small portion
-enoki mushroom
-imitation crab meat
-napa
-soft tofu: don't get this since it ends up just falling apart in the soup
-fried tofu
-tripe
-meat balls: fillings on the inside
-clams: these were already cooked; lots of sand still in it :(
-water bamboo: careful! when you bite into it, each section holds hot broth so don't burn yourself!
-shrimp

WARNING: The tables. Beneath the surface top of each table, there is another platform underneath it so that it can hold the electric stove. As I was sitting down, I banged my knees against it. Then during lunch as I was moving around, I ended up banging my knee on it again! A couple tables over, I also heard a guy yelp since he too also banged his knee as we he getting into his chair. So watch your knees! Or else you'll be going home with a souvenir bruise like me :O

Overall it was tasty. Don't think I would come back here again unless there was another Amazon deal though. Without it, the price is a bit high in my opinion.

Visited March 2013
Marina Del Rey, California
“Scorch your tongue goodness”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 18, 2012

Unique. Outrageous. Surprising. Delicious in an almost underground sort of fashion. Imagine a large divided-down-the-middle boiling cauldron of tumbling herbs and spices in the center of your table with a burner underneath to keeps things cooking. Now surrround the center with an assortment of fresh meats, vegetables, and various noodles. What would you want to do? Why, of course. Once you witness it, it is the most natural thing in the world...plop, plop, fizz, fizz (sorry that) and then pluck it out and swirl it the concoction of garlic, soy sauce, hot sauce you have custom made for yourself and you can just envison what happens when it hits your taste buds. Delightful!

• Visited August 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Monterey Park, California
“On a cold winter day..................”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 11, 2012

A very unique restaurant! It's best to go with a group of people. You share the hot pot. You have several choices of broth and you can order up to 2 different kinds of broth. For people who like spicy, they can order and cook on one side of the pot, and for those that just want the original, you can have it on the other side of the pot. You can order meat, vegetables, sides, and dip into the hot pot until heated. Ours came up to $15 per person. A side can be a flat pancake. The longer you stay and the more meat you cook in the broth, the broth becomes very tasty. You can actually drink it! You can also ask the waitress to thin it out if it becomes too strong. This whole dinner just warms you up inside and out.

• Visited January 2012