“Beware of the $100 deposit” 3 of 5 stars
Review of BEST WESTERN Markland Hotel

You added BEST WESTERN Markland Hotel to your Saves list
BEST WESTERN Markland Hotel
3.5 of 5 Motel   |   434 Potrero Grande Dr, Monterey Park, CA 91755-7324 (Formerly Monterey Park Days Inn and Suites)   |
Hotel deals
Offers & Announcements
Save up to 20%
Ranked #3 of 4 Hotels in Monterey Park
Pasadena, California, Usa
“Beware of the $100 deposit”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 17, 2014

Booked this hotel online and was not informed of the $100 deposit. When I explained that I didn't get a hold placed on my card before, the check in guy basically accused me of lying because he "has been at the hotel for 4 years and that's always been the policy". Because of him, I most likely will NOT be back at this hotel just for his poor attitude.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple

Review collected in partnership with Best Western

BWMarkland, General Manager at BEST WESTERN Markland Hotel, responded to this review, February 20, 2014
Dear Brittany,

I would like to first thank you for reviewing your stay at our property. And I also would like to apologize for your unpleasant encounter. Your satisfaction is important to us and we will be using the feedback you gave us to implement improvements to ensure we offer a better experience for guests in the future.

I apologize that you were not informed about the incidental deposit upon booking the reservation. However, this is an industry standard that nearly all hotels (and car rental places) take part in to protect our/their assets. We disclose to our guests that we are pre-authorizing their cards so they are aware, and thus are not surprised if something appears on their online statements as pending. I apologize that the guest service agent was rude, and have spoken to him about it and he understands how it was inappropriate. He wanted me to offer you his sincerest apologies.

Again, I want stress how sorry I am that your stay with us was not up to your expectations. And we will be striving to improve so that our future guests will not encounter a similar situation.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (15)
Temple City, CA
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 17, 2014

We were getting the floors done in our house and had to stay a couple of nights in a hotel, and I had some rewards points to use and this was the closest BW Plus that we could use. Not worth the actual price of a room though: Pros: Room was what you'd expect. It was up to Plus standard. Staff were great, Breakfast was good. Cons: WiFi, at least in our room did not quite make it. Elevator lobbies, and interior hallways were really old and they all smelled of cigarette smoke. Kinda gross. Not worth the price point that this hotel goes for.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with family

Travelers are raving about these Monterey Park hotels

Opelika, United States
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 11, 2014

Very dated. Needs lots of repairs. Water was standing in the lobby area of the parking garage entrance with water running down the elevator shaft. The lighting in the room was very dim. Musty smell in the room.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with family

Review collected in partnership with Best Western

BWMarkland, General Manager at BEST WESTERN Markland Hotel, responded to this review, January 15, 2014
Dear Madam,

I am very sorry that your stay at our property was not a pleasant one. We strive to provide our guests with great experience and excellent customer service. To that extent, it is obvious that we did not do that for you.

I am sorry that there was water in the garage's elevator entrance. A pipe had burst and we were in the process of repairing the pipe. However, as it was late at night we were unable to get the pipe repaired quickly. We were able to drain the water and fix the pipe the very next morning however. Again, I am sorry that you had to experience that during your stay.

I want to thank you for your comments as we will be using them to improve our property for future guests and their experiences. As such, I will be personally looking into the matter of the dim lighting and musty smell, and discuss a plan of action with my Head Housekeeper.

Again, I want to let you know that I am very sorry that your stay with us was not up to your expectations. And we will be striving to improve so that our future guests will not encounter a similar situation.
las vegas, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 8, 2014

This hotel is very economical. The breakfast is excellent in comparison to other best western. This is not a fancy place but very clean. The rooms are not old looking. The front staff, cleaning service and breakfast service are great! This is not a place for handicaps.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled on business

Dear Tom,

I want to thank you for your positive review on your stay at our property. We take our guest's experience very seriously, and I am glad that you had a good one here.

I hope you will be staying with us again soon!
beijing, China
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 22, 2013

it is good for the rates, but the breakfast is nearly out when we get into there, and the staff told us no more for some food, but the location is very very good , convenient to get any freeways.it is good for the rates, but the breakfast is nearly out when we get into there, and the staff told us no more for some food, but the location is very very good , convenient to get any freeways.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with friends

Vancouver, Washington
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 5, 2013

A death in the family required me to fly to the Los Angeles area on very short notice. I had to make arrangements for a flight, hotel, and car within a few hours and ended up with a package deal that included two nights at a Best Western in Long Beach, the closest one that popped up on the package site. However, the next day, I fretted over the daily commute from Long Beach to Whittier returning in the dark and found out I could cancel the Long Beach hotel with no penalty and get closer to Whittier with this Best Western in Monterey Park. Actually, this property is more like north Montebello and proved very convenient to the Rose Hills Memorial Park where several events were slated. As I mentioned already, the location was very convenient to freeways but also to Wilcox and Beverly Blvd. to Pioneer that led directly to Rose Hills. Plentiful underground parking made coming and going simple. My room was very small but comfortable, and I wasn't there except to sleep and do some work I brought with me in the mornings. Free wi-fi was a big plus and a very comfy chair at a desk to get some work done. Breakfast had hot scrambled eggs and sausages one day and scrambled eggs and bacon the second as well as lots of cold options, juice, coffee, and the news playing on a large screen TV. I did not use the air conditioning or heating; just opened the window. Daytime temps were in the 70s, and by the time I returned, the room only needed some fresh air. It took me a day to figure out the hot water in the shower. I turned the handle counter clockwise to H and got luke warm water, took a shower anyway pretending I was swimming. The next morning I figured I should ask before complaining but figured out that i needed to turn the handle clockwise to hot.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled solo

Greeley, CO
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2013

WARNING: This place is an absolute dump.

My experience started with a late check-in. My flight was delayed and I arrived about midnight. The front desk staff was clearly annoyed with my late check-in and treated me curtly and in a less than professional manner. The front desk clerk looked like he could not care any less about his job as evidenced by his upside down name tag and untucked work shirt. The employee failed to notify me that the security deposit for my room would be 120% (?!!!) of the total bill which i later came to find out is to deter smoking. The smell of stale smoke would have been an improvement to what I can only describe as feces, mold and death.

The trek to my room is where this stay really came off the rails. The elevator is old and musty. The walk to my room down the moldy, dimly lit hallway felt like the "Green Mile". The dingy carpet and outdated wallpaper was a surreal site.

When I got into my room I found the room even less appealing than the hallways. The room had the A/C off and was very stuffy upon my arrival compounding the unpleasantness of the area. The toilet was stained from a previous guest and the room carried this properties signature scent - "Feces, Mold and Death™". Being so late at night I knew i had to gut out the single evening (first of 5 on a business trip) and check out the next morning.

Check out the picture out of my room. This property afforded me the lovely view of what I only describe as "foreclosed crack house". Nice touch eh.

So breakfast, yea...I guess that's what you can call pitchers of tang and reconstituted eggs with a basket of stale pastries. I skipped this based on the cleanliness of the property. If anyone has eaten this food and lived, you should probably be studied by the CDC.

The front desk clerk that checked me out spoke in a whisper quiet tone and didn't seem too shocked that I was leaving after only 8 hours total on the property. She didn't inquire or seem to care and I strongly suspect that when most business travelers stay here, their stay is very brief.

The cherry on top of this trip? It took best western 6 days and 4 phone calls to release the funds from my card for the security deposit.

If you stay at this property and enjoy your stay, you should seek professional help.

Room Tip: Stay somewhere else.
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
BWMarkland, General Manager at BEST WESTERN Markland Hotel, responded to this review, December 3, 2013
Dear Sir,

I am sorry for your bad experience at our hotel. The attitude and state of dress of the front desk agent that checked you in is unacceptable and I will be personally looking into it and rectifying the problem. I apologize that he did not inform you of the incidental deposit. However, the deposit is a standard procedure and is only a pre-authorization on a credit card. The typical release time for the deposit is 3-5 business days, and this is due to the credit card company's processing period, as we do release the guest's card authorization upon checkout.

I do not understand your comments about the musty smell/mold, dimly lit hallway, dingy carpet, or outdated wallpaper though. The carpet was updated recently, as was the hallway lighting. However, I will take you comments into consideration and do a proper investigation. Additionally, I apologize you received a room with that unfortunate view. The property next door does not belong to us, and is currently unoccupied. We are currently looking into methods of blocking that view from our guests, although it is difficult due to the height of our building and the rooms on the upper floors.

Your comments in regards to our breakfast does not reflect our breakfast. We do not serve "pitchers of tang and reconstituted eggs with a basket of stale pastries." In fact, we have a fully functioning juice machine with 4 different drink choices (in addition to the coffee and tea options). Our eggs are prepared from scratch every night and morning by our staff and kept in a food warmer. Additionally, our pastries are always kept fresh and delivered multiple times a week from our suppliers.

We certainly take your complaints very seriously and we take our customers' experiences very seriously as well. I will be personally attending to each issue to see that what can be rectified will be fixed. Again, I want to express how sorry I am that our property failed to meet your expectations for your stay.

Yours in Hospitality,

John Sindal

Been to BEST WESTERN Markland Hotel? Share your experiences!