“Forget the other location, just come here” 4 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #10 of 164 Restaurants in Monterey Park
Cuisines: Chinese
So Cal
“Forget the other location, just come here”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 25, 2014

I said to go to the old one instead...after a few bouts of stuffing 5 big white guys in a small booth at that location, the quality of the dumplings here is just as good, so for good XLBs and what not, this one is all right for sure, at the same low prices.

• Visited April 2014
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

Los Angeles, California
“Very good, but it's no Din Tai Fung”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 2, 2014

First let me say: Will the owner of this business please decide on a name? The neon sign near one of the entrances reads "Mama's Lu Dumpling House," a sign on the wall says "Mama Lu's Dumpling House," and the lettering on the door reads "Mama Lu Dumpling House." Seriously!? Which is it?

My girlfriend and I love Din Tai Fung, but wanted to try someplace different to see how it compares. The good news is that finding parking at Mama Lu's is easier than at Din Tai Fung, and the wait is much shorter, too! The food wasn't quite as good as at Din Tai Fung, though.

Our meal started with complimentary salted sweet peanuts and sweet cucumber. We ordered the Shanghai-style rice cake, pan-fried dumplings, the beef wrap, garlic-flavored bean seedlings, and of course juicy pork dumplings. That might sound like a lot of food for two people, but we were expecting Din Tai Fung-size portions. The food arrived at our table pretty quickly, and when I saw the huge plates of beef wrap and rice cake, I knew that we made a mistake ordering so much, and that we'd be taking a lot home.

There were two things that I really missed here. First, I love the green beans with garlic at Din Tai Fung. Mama Lu's doesn't have the same dish, and the sautéed bean seedlings we got instead were merely okay. Second, I also love ending my meal with azuki (red bean) dumplings, but Mama Lu's also doesn't offer them.

Considering the much shorter wait, the quantity of food, and the low prices, I'd certainly go to Mama Lu's again. The food was very good, but it simply lacked that little extra quality you get at Din Tai Fung.

Visited February 2014
Monterey Park, California
“Fair”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 12, 2014

Not very special, just as same as the other restaurants in Monterey Park area. They have 3 branch in Monterey Park, I love the one on Ynez Ave.

• Visited April 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Cordele, GA
“Exactly what I was hoping for”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 7, 2013 via mobile

Great authentic Chinese food, and as the only non Asian there, I noticed it is loved by locals as well, as the place was full with a short wait. The menu, while authentic had pictures and English which is helpful for when you like the real stuff but can never remember the Chinese names for it. I was by myself so I could only get a few things and the portions were so large I couldn't finish them. I got the green onion pancake, pork dumplings, and salt/pepper shrimp..... all excellent!

• Visited September 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Irvine, California
“Great Dumplings”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 25, 2013

Great, clean Chinese restaurant. Had the spicy wonton, deep fried seaweed coated fish (like Chinese fish and chips, without the chips), on choy and pan fried sesame seed, veggie buns. All were delicious, not too greasy and well cooked. The on choy was really well done, not tough, well seasoned. All this was less than $30 including tax and tip. The service was fast and efficient.

• Visited April 2013